Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Is nice to see so many prospects coming through the FLATS to check things out. Have to give the coaches and recruiting staff credit ilthe GT Football facilities aren’t a ghost town during the down time between now and Spring practice. Still curious which transfers we’re pursuing the most and what the staff perceives our biggest need is? Do we have any OL transfers visiting? Or big fast DE?

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Is nice to see so many prospects coming through the FLATS to check things out. Have to give the coaches and recruiting staff credit ilthe GT Football facilities aren’t a ghost town during the down time between now and Spring practice. Still curious which transfers we’re pursuing the most and what the staff perceives our biggest need is? Do we have any OL transfers visiting? Or big fast DE?
Yeah, I’d like to see a list of visitors, if anyone knows these things.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

for $1m I suppose Caleb had to transfer, since when he went to OU, he wasn't eligible to get paid (legally). So, now he can cash in. If E Michigan can offer $1m, I suspect Auburn or Ole Miss will offer double that. Someone needs to buck up around here if we want big time transfers like this, or even big big time recruits like Bryce Young (rec'd $1m before playing at all).

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan

for $1m I suppose Caleb had to transfer, since when he went to OU, he wasn't eligible to get paid (legally). So, now he can cash in. If E Michigan can offer $1m, I suspect Auburn or Ole Miss will offer double that. Someone needs to buck up around here if we want big time transfers like this, or even big big time recruits like Bryce Young (rec'd $1m before playing at all).
Didn't Bryce Young receive the 1M during his redshirt year? Not as part of a package to decide where he wanted to go?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
LBs should be at top of list.Losing Quez was HUGE!! Its actually pretty scary what our talent/exp level is there if we plan to have a better DEF.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
LBs should be at top of list.Losing Quez was HUGE!! Its actually pretty scary what our talent/exp level is there if we plan to have a better DEF.
I’d say the D-line and secondary are more critical to fixing our defense at this point in time, especially the secondary.

Losing Quez hurts, but I’m not sure we’re as thin at LB as you’re implying. We have Ace and (presumably) Charlie coming back. Meiguez should be back from injury this year. The Efford kid looks like he could be really good. Plus we have Demetrius who’s gotten significant snaps at LB over the years. That should be enough if we’re going back to the 4-2-5. Of course, if there’s a guy who would instantly be our best or second best LB and wants to come to Tech, then we shouldn’t say no to that, but that goes for just about every position.

On the other hand, we do need to be mindful of scholarship numbers. I did an informal count of how many spots we have left, and if we assume that our remaining high school commits all sign with us, we have (depending on my accuracy of who’s a scholarship player vs who’s a walk-on) 0-2 spots left. Granted, there are usually transfers in the spring, but even the coaches may not know yet how that will shake out.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I’d say the D-line and secondary are more critical to fixing our defense at this point in time, especially the secondary.

Losing Quez hurts, but I’m not sure we’re as thin at LB as you’re implying. We have Ace and (presumably) Charlie coming back. Meiguez should be back from injury this year. The Efford kid looks like he could be really good. Plus we have Demetrius who’s gotten significant snaps at LB over the years. That should be enough if we’re going back to the 4-2-5. Of course, if there’s a guy who would instantly be our best or second best LB and wants to come to Tech, then we shouldn’t say no to that, but that goes for just about every position.

On the other hand, we do need to be mindful of scholarship numbers. I did an informal count of how many spots we have left, and if we assume that our remaining high school commits all sign with us, we have (depending on my accuracy of who’s a scholarship player vs who’s a walk-on) 0-2 spots left. Granted, there are usually transfers in the spring, but even the coaches may not know yet how that will shake out.
Don't forget Franks and Tatum at LB. Tatum got a lot of reps last year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Quez Jackson was a 2nd Team All ACC LB, and one of the top tacklers in the country. When's the last time GT had a 2nd Team All ACC LB? If anyone thinks that's easily replaceable with guys who barely played or haven't played at all...well, let's go ahead and start talking about GT's playoff spot next season.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Quez Jackson was a 2nd Team All ACC LB, and one of the top tacklers in the country. When's the last time GT had a 2nd Team All ACC LB? If anyone thinks that's easily replaceable with guys who barely played or haven't played at all...well, let's go ahead and start talking about GT's playoff spot next season.
Well, we're going to have to replace him, so no use lamenting over the fact that he's gone. I'm going to miss him. Next man up. Let's get 'er done!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The only Tech defensive player on the first, second, or third team All - ACC list.

That adds to the loss of our only offensive player on the first, second, or third team All - ACC list, Gibbs.

Last edited:

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
but PFF says all our linebackers are terrible, who am I to believe??

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t know that anyone said Quez is easily replaceable. If you’re referring to my comments, I was simply stating that LB is probably not our biggest weakness on defense and that while it might be nice to get an elite one through the portal, the linebackers we already have are plenty good for it to not be a position of weakness or a liability, something that can’t necessarily be said of the line or the secondary.