Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

JacketFan137

Banned
Peery transferred for the same reason Justin Fields and Quinn Ewers transferred. There was a young guy in front of him that he was never going to be given a realistic chance at taking the job from.
if he couldn’t even win the job to be the backup this year i don’t know if he really had the talent to be here anyway. it’s not like yates is getting recruited by p5 teams right now

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't Peery the one who missed his senior season due to things related to covid? If so then I think it's likely he showed up further behind than expected (meaning compared to a normal recruit) and likely saw the writing on the wall that his path to playing time here was narrow with being unlikely to overcome the experience advantage that Sims had and having an elite 11 QB coming behind him. That combined with a new OC/QB coach and being far away from home are a lot of factors pushing in that direction.

Anyways, best of luck to him.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
if he couldn’t even win the job to be the backup this year i don’t know if he really had the talent to be here anyway. it’s not like yates is getting recruited by p5 teams right now
There was never any chance of Peery not redshirting. I also have a feeling when you go to the grocery store and they ask you if you want a receipt your response is probably, yes I would like one, and did you know Yates is a terrible QB? Dude lives rent free in your head doesn't he?

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Wasn't Peery the one who missed his senior season due to things related to covid? If so then I think it's likely he showed up further behind than expected (meaning compared to a normal recruit) and likely saw the writing on the wall that his path to playing time here was narrow with being unlikely to overcome the experience advantage that Sims had and having an elite 11 QB coming behind him. That combined with a new OC/QB coach and being far away from home are a lot of factors pushing in that direction.

Anyways, best of luck to him.
And yet, apparently CGC was talking him (Peery) up as recently as the UGA week on how good he looked. CDP's QB recruits (Gleason and Peery - we won't count Beatty) were pretty clearly big misfires...

JacketFan137

Banned
There was never any chance of Peery not redshirting. I also have a feeling when you go to the grocery store and they ask you if you want a receipt your response is probably, yes I would like one, and did you know Yates is a terrible QB? Dude lives rent free in your head doesn't he?
just stating facts. backup qb was an area of need going into the year. hoping we get a transfer in

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
And yet, apparently CGC was talking him (Peery) up as recently as the UGA week on how good he looked. CDP's QB recruits (Gleason and Peery - we won't count Beatty) were pretty clearly big misfires...

I don't recall that but if you say so. I'm pretty sure Beatty was the stated back up if something happened to Yates in the UGA game.

I don't think Gleason was a misfire. I think he was like Jaybo was to Johnson. Early QB recruit that might have the skill set you're looking for but not quite the level you would normally take. Once we landed Sims then Gleason transferring was just a matter of time IMO. Peery will always be a what if in relation to the whole Covid situation if it is as I think it was with him.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is just what happens when you start a young QB and COVID made that even worse. We will be lucky if we can hang on to Pyron for 3 years.
I wouldn’t worry too much about that. There’s a little more class separation between Sims and Pyron, especially if Pyron takes a redshirt. And Pyron is pretty talented. Sims may have the advantage of experience at the start, but I think by his third year, Pyron will be pushing Sims for that starting job. Sims is going to have to make good progress in his development to hold of Pyron long term, and if he does improve significantly, there’s always the chance he leaves early for the draft. Pyron’s a pretty good passer, so I wouldn’t assume Sims will automatically have the starting QB job locked down going forward.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Peery is going to be good. It wasn’t his fault that California shut down his senior season. He’ll be one of those guys who will be playing as a 24 year old senior somewhere. And he came from a very good high school program. I hate losing him because of his potential but I understand it from his view point. Just remember his name when you see him down the road as you’re flipping the channels during the late night west coast days.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn’t worry too much about that. There’s a little more class separation between Sims and Pyron, especially if Pyron takes a redshirt. And Pyron is pretty talented. Sims may have the advantage of experience at the start, but I think by his third year, Pyron will be pushing Sims for that starting job. Sims is going to have to make good progress in his development to hold of Pyron long term, and if he does improve significantly, there’s always the chance he leaves early for the draft. Pyron’s a pretty good passer, so I wouldn’t assume Sims will automatically have the starting QB job locked down going forward.
I doubt he is going to push a 5th year Sims for the job and the years before that we likely have transfers (Gibson) playing the backup role. The question really becomes will he wait until his 4th year to get any real playing time when he can transfer at any time to get playing time elsewhere. Plenty of teams are dealing with similar problems after the free COVID year and the new transfer rules.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I doubt he is going to push a 5th year Sims for the job and the years before that we likely have transfers (Gibson) playing the backup role. The question really becomes will he wait until his 4th year to get any real playing time when he can transfer at any time to get playing time elsewhere. Plenty of teams are dealing with similar problems after the free COVID year and the new transfer rules.
We don’t know that Gibson will even come to Tech. Sims is very talented, but he still has aspects to his game that really need improvement. And Pyron happens to be skilled at the areas where Sims is struggling at this point in time. Sims very well may fix his weaknesses and lock down his spot, but his play thus far is not enough for him to rest on his laurels.

JacketFan137

Banned
We don’t know that Gibson will even come to Tech. Sims is very talented, but he still has aspects to his game that really need improvement. And Pyron happens to be skilled at the areas where Sims is struggling at this point in time. Sims very well may fix his weaknesses and lock down his spot, but his play thus far is not enough for him to rest on his laurels.
i think we need to have more reasonable expectations here. pyron PROJECTS to be skilled at the area where sims is struggling. pyron hasn’t played NCAA football yet. two very different things to compare high school to college

i would also add that sims skills running the ball also need to be considered as well.

either way we have two great young QBs who will both make us better

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Just looking at our roster on Ramblinwreck.com and we currently only have 2 scholarship QBs Sims and Pyron.... If you don't count D. Knight or walk ons.

I think 🤔 to be safe we need to add 2 transfer portal QBs.....

Gibson and Bailey would be nice.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
The roster has been updated.

Never seen it updated this early.

Also Tre Swilling still showing and Jamyr Gibbs is showing under committed recruits at the bottom.

Interesting......