Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
rambling wreck out here leaving Gibbs on the bottom of the roster to toy with us.

Attachments

• BDC190EF-4DDC-4147-BC9D-D820CD35CBD6.png
    BDC190EF-4DDC-4147-BC9D-D820CD35CBD6.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 138

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
I think he and Tre are the 2 wildcards left. Tobias said he’s leaving. Eley staying.
I like them both and they gave a lot to tech in their careers just like Carter and Sanders but it’s time for them to move on and let the young guys take over. I wish Jackson would stay but Ace already stated that his staying. If we ever going to move forward with the program we need to more forward with some fresh blood.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We got an Elite 11 QB. That’s a heckuva win for us

So can someone help me interpret Perry's departure? The comment about going with Patenude makes sense, but I'd guess the Elite 11 QB made Perry decide to go where the competition is less? As we saw for the past two years, Sims isn't exactly what I'd call durable. Someone is going to get some playing time as his 'backup', if history is any indicator.

Pyron will join Sims as Elite 11 QBs at GT. I don't have any official word, but I imagine Peery is looking for PT somewhere.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Pyron will join Sims as Elite 11 QBs at GT. I don't have any official word, but I imagine Peery is looking for PT somewhere.

2 Elite 11 QBs. Projected destination for Akron transfer QB who had a statistically good year when he played. Grad transfer QB Beatty from last season.

You recruit the best kids you can, and let them settle it on the field. Peery seemed like a good guy, and he was all about GT once he committed to us. Nothing but good things to say about him. I'm sure he saw enough of what we had in the QB room and I'm sure he knew the competition coming in. Hate to lose a guy like Peery, but sometimes it's better to move on. Wish him well...and I'll definitely be a fan of his wherever he ends up. Thought he had a lot of promise for us.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
2 Elite 11 QBs. Projected destination for Akron transfer QB who had a statistically good year when he played. Grad transfer QB Beatty from last season.

You recruit the best kids you can, and let them settle it on the field. Peery seemed like a good guy, and he was all about GT once he committed to us. Nothing but good things to say about him. I'm sure he saw enough of what we had in the QB room and I'm sure he knew the competition coming in. Hate to lose a guy like Peery, but sometimes it's better to move on. Wish him well...and I'll definitely be a fan of his wherever he ends up. Thought he had a lot of promise for us.

It's always tough to be the QB in the class immediately following the starter. it's better to have a year or two of separation. A lot of athletes are willing to sit a year or two but if there is not a clear path to playing time a QB is foolish, IMO, to wait around. With todays waiver rules, it's far easier to find a better path to PT.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck

Beatty (who was never more than a clipboard holder) is done and not playing fb anymore

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
So can someone help me interpret Perry's departure? The comment about going with Patenude makes sense, but I'd guess the Elite 11 QB made Perry decide to go where the competition is less? As we saw for the past two years, Sims isn't exactly what I'd call durable. Someone is going to get some playing time as his 'backup', if history is any indicator.

There are many reasons someone may transfer unrelated to football. I don't know what applies for him specifically, but from a football sense there is some logic to be made. He has only 1 more year of eligibility than Sims (assuming no RS for Sims) because of the COVID rules. If he wants a favorable spot to win the starting gig for more than a year, it's probably not here.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
They had Taylor Martinez at qb who played there in the early parts of the last decade. Hard to distinguish one from the other.
...I was today years old when I learned they were different guys. When he posted that, i was like "JFC, yeah he HAS been around forever. Did he like get hurt a bunch of times in his early career and miss like 3 seasons and get a ton of medical redshirts?"

JacketFan137

Banned
peery must not have shown much in practice unfortunately but that is tough when we had some guys that have been around so long.

he was unable to beat out yates which was honestly concerning based on what we saw on the field and the fact that pyron was so heavily recruited is kind of a tell that the staff was by no means endorsing peery and trusting him to take over after sims

pyron seems like a likely red shirt candidate to me personally if we get a serviceable backup in. this would be ideal since sims will only have two remaining years of eligibility at the end of the year (although if he can show improvement it’s not really too late to rule out him declaring for the draft or transferring somewhere).

if sims stays his full eligibility we’d still have pyron available as a junior and senior

for this to be a realistic plan we need a decent transfer in to at least be the backup this season

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
peery must not have shown much in practice unfortunately but that is tough when we had some guys that have been around so long.

he was unable to beat out yates which was honestly concerning based on what we saw on the field and the fact that pyron was so heavily recruited is kind of a tell that the staff was by no means endorsing peery and trusting him to take over after sims

pyron seems like a likely red shirt candidate to me personally if we get a serviceable backup in. this would be ideal since sims will only have two remaining years of eligibility at the end of the year (although if he can show improvement it’s not really too late to rule out him declaring for the draft or transferring somewhere).

if sims stays his full eligibility we’d still have pyron available as a junior and senior

for this to be a realistic plan we need a decent transfer in to at least be the backup this season
Peery transferred for the same reason Justin Fields and Quinn Ewers transferred. There was a young guy in front of him that he was never going to be given a realistic chance at taking the job from.