Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Screenshot_20211202-200431_Chrome.jpg

LibertyTurns

Banned
Look at his tackle total, his play was not all bad
I agree, actually thought Ely was pretty solid along with the other lb’s
For as much negative talk our secondary gets (which is certainly justified), the linebackers have been the weakest part of our defense and may be the weakest linebacker core in all of FBS.

According to PFF, out of 130 FBS teams, Eley grades out as 571/580, while Jackson is 553/580. And they’ve both played more snaps than anyone ranked lower than them! It’s embarrassing.

Someone please come on here and tell me PFF grades are worthless, our linebackers are playing well, and it’s all because of a weak pass rush.

We literally have two of the lowest-graded linebackers in the nation according to the most prominent site out there that teams pay for their data. Not perfect as I always say, but when the D is this bad and the LBs grade out this poorly, it’s not a coincidence.

I’ll end this in a somewhat positive note that Gibbs is the #17 graded RB in the nation out of 345, and he’s graded #4 out of 345 RBs as a receiver. For those curious, Mason is #193 (ranks 9th in run blocking).

I’ll do a post probably after next weeks game with interesting tidbits on where our players grade out nationally. Don’t have the heart to do it now after seeing where our LBs grade.

Also — for anyone who uses “tackles” as a quantitative measure of success for a defender, don’t. Someone has to make a tackle, doesn’t mean it’s not 7 yards downfield.
Sorry I was at work today and was responding in the middle of a boring, pointless meeting & couldn’t resurrect the thread on my cellphone. Hopefully Eley moved up from 571, but the point being was he had a rough season through the first 9 games to say the least. I’m skeptical his grades skyrocketed after ND and the mutt. This is after his tenure at MD where everyone seems to want me to jog everyone’s memory that he couldn’t hold onto a starting position. He had a lot of tackles this year, but these people grade position spots for a living & if they’re telling me someone is not performing well on a unit that’s ranked near the bottom of 130 teams, well call me crazy for hoping for improvement in the LB corps. Thacker ain’t gonna git ‘er done.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Hitting the portal hard this offseason. Collins knows he doesn't have time to develop talent and needs impact players across the board. We need OL, LB, and stud DLs badly. Experience at DB does not hurt one bit either.
It's the new way of college football. Everyone should be hitting it hard or they aren't doing a good job.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Hitting the portal hard this offseason. Collins knows he doesn't have time to develop talent and needs impact players across the board. We need OL, LB, and stud DLs badly. Experience at DB does not hurt one bit either.
It’s our only real viable option for the next couple of years. We don’t have the luxury of waiting for the recruiting to catch up & we don’t have the staff to develop talent.

slugboy

Staff member
It’s our only real viable option for the next couple of years. We don’t have the luxury of waiting for the recruiting to catch up & we don’t have the staff to develop talent.

Choice seems to coach up his players, even if they start at a high level. We may have other position coaches who do the same.

I’ll agree that we haven’t seen breakthroughs at OL, DT, LB, TE, and DB yet. And that’s a lot of position groups.