Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
And I'm not telling folks to be happy with our recent results. I'm just saying constantly b*tching about it gets old. We get it. Ya'll don't like the guy. You don't like his demeanor. You don't like his mama. You don't like his face. We freaking get it.

They need to start asking themselves. Do you hate him more than you love GT?

If you do, then carry on.

If you don't, recognize what's good for the program and give your energy (and money) to that.
Don’t forget his wardrobe!!

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Y’all are worried about how we look in the media? Or that the media reports our negativity? That is hilarious. GT football no longer exists in the media. Have you not been paying attention. We do not exist. And you better be glad that fans still give their opinion because the next step is pure apathy where you’ll have 10 posts a day. That is where this is heading.

The only way back is to win games. Nothing else. Until we win games no one will care about GT football. The only time we have been featured lately was during the NFL draft when GT football was included on many highlight reels.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Last edited:

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Of course Stansbury and Collins know this is likely going to be a rough year attendance-wise. If that didn't cross their mind, I would be worried about what they are thinking about.

I am not saying that fans know what is best for the program. The past decade of Tennessee football is evidence of that. CGC himself admitted what I alluded to regarding press conferences with his statements regarding it being time to coach more and talk/brand less. A statement that at the time was lambasted by the media because his job is to coach. I think that Stansbury and Collins know that their words will fall on deaf ears if results do not accompany those words.

I don't think that any of this is necessarily about Collins, he just happens to be at the front-end of the criticism. We had hit a ceiling under Johnson and it was time to try something else. The Institute also made decisions before I was born that led us down the path to where we are now. The fact of the matter is that GT makes so much money off of academics/research that the hill does not have to give a crap about athletics. We, unfortunately, choose to show our love for Tech through the support of athletics programs that are not, and have not been, adequately supported by the alumni base at large and the shakers and movers with the Institute. Collins could be viewed as a tragic figure of sorts, but the potential tragedy of the situation is why he got a 7 year contract. That also doesnt absolve him of responsibility. I think that if any improvement was shown this past year that the negativity would not be as bad as it is. I think the fan base at large was relatively patient with him the first two years. There was actually a lot of excitement going into last year.

Discussing the current state of the program and lamenting the point to which we have fallen is toxic to a degree. That doesn't change the fact that we are here. If this forum and all the negative comments were totally obliterated off the internet, the stands still would have been red at COFH last year. 9 wins in 3 years will do that to a program. Having a mostly STEM school with an ever increasing number of international and out of state students will do that to a program. A program that was already experiencing a decline in fan support over the past decade that had its highs and lows, experienced an even bigger decline when things got worse (record-wise). That is not an unexpected result. Winning cures all woes in the end. We just are not winning enough. It is understood that we are reaching a make-or-break year for Collins. I would argue that if this were not a make-or-break year, sending the message to recruits that you are ok with 3-9 is not great branding either. There has to be an impetus for improvement and a desire to make things better. There has to be assurances given to recruits, fans, and the institute that things will improve.

You are correct, rot is rot. It has been at Tech for a long time and is now manifesting itself more out in the open. That said, the entire fanbase is never going to be content with a hire and there will always be those deriding a coach (unless you have a Saban on staff). Fan complaints are not the rot that is destroying Tech athletics. People hated on Johnson because of his offense even when we went to the Orange bowl, people hated Chan Gailey because he never beat Georgia or was too pro-style etc. This list could be done for all of our coaches in all of our sports. To an extent, I am just happy we have enough people that care enough to complain. Look at Kansas. The football program has fallen to such irrelevance that, except when they beat Texas every other year, no one thinks about them. I also think the value placed on fan comments is over-stated. There are schools that have recruited better than Tech despite having much more toxic fans. Tech fans mostly don't berate recruits like what we see from other schools. Kids pick the school they are attending for a myriad of reasons. Falling in line as fans will not solve Tech's problems and supporting the school does not equal to falling in line. Just because Collins is the lightening rod that is attracting a lot criticism doesn't mean every complaint is about him. Just because people want Collins gone doesn't mean that they are ignorant to the changing landscape of college football at large. Being Collins-centric and worshipping him like the second coming is not going to make him the coach that we are hoping he will become. It is not going to turn Tech into a powerhouse. All of that could very well happen and I hope we win every game from here on out. I personally don't care who our AD and coach is. I don't care what our offense or defense is. I just want the school that I graduated from to kick some major "$$ in football and destroy the mutts in Athens.

Fan complaints did not kill Army's, Harvard's, Princeton's , Sewanee's, or Tulane's championship aspirations. The changing landscape of the sport did. Just becuase I made a statement about TStan and CGC knowing that attendance would likely be down this year in terms of season ticket holders does not equate to some indictment on a lack of knowledge on their part or that I or anyone else can solve the situation. The peak off egotistical folly is to assume that one has all the answers. They are more knowledgable about why we are where we are than any of us here. That is why it is their job to fix the situation.
Idk man. We could have barely half the stadium filled and Collins would call it a packed house

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Know what 'they' do know? They know the fans largely don't know what TF they're looking at or what TF they're talking about.

Nor do the fans truly grasp what a coaching change entails. The fans watch the crap show that happens at places that have far more money for coaches than our fans' support is capable of garnering. Yet they somehow think, "Nah that won't be us."

These same fans have watched what their toxicity did to our basketball program years ago. Yet they continue to think, "Nah my incessant deriding of the coach won't have lasting damage, regardless of who the coach ends up being once the guy I hate's gone."

The fans keep thinking it's about Collins, but it's really not. Rot is rot. And what folks are sowing is rot for our program. And, spoiler alert, it doesn't go away once the coach is fired. Our basketball program is a literal, shining example of this. No idea why folks continue to court disaster.

It's mindboggling but completely expected since GT folks are the smartest dumb people in the world.
Not sure the “fans” caused Paul Hewitt to go 113-91 after reaching the final four with 4 out of his final 7 seasons being losing records. It also wasn’t the “fans” fault Dave Braine gave him the worst contract in Tech history. I feel like Tech fans are the most reasonably thinking fans I have dealt with. We aren’t asking to be Alabama In football but to go 9-25 and expect the “fans” to remain giddy is very foolish thinking.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Committed to Oregon, went to UCLA. Has 4 years of eligibility as he did not play.
Christian, come in and bust arse and become the sack machine we need.

"He has not played any collegiate snaps, but was on the scout team for his freshman year at UCLA..."

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not sure the “fans” caused Paul Hewitt to go 113-91 after reaching the final four with 4 out of his final 7 seasons being losing records. It also wasn’t the “fans” fault Dave Braine gave him the worst contract in Tech history. I feel like Tech fans are the most reasonably thinking fans I have dealt with. We aren’t asking to be Alabama In football but to go 9-25 and expect the “fans” to remain giddy is very foolish thinking.

Who asked anybody to be giddy?

And who TF said the coaches' record was the fans fault?

If yall are happy with this 365-day pity party sh*t then have at it. But miss me with all this selective misreading of my posts.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Who asked anybody to be giddy?

And who TF said the coaches' record was the fans fault?

If yall are happy with this 365-day pity party sh*t then have at it. But miss me with all this selective misreading of my posts.
You literally said “look what the fan’s toxicity has done to our basketball program.” Maybe you should use your words more selectively then. The fans had nothing to do with a 7 million dollar buyout due to a piss poor record. Poor decision making by our Athletic Directors have lead us to our current state not the fans negativity.