Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
So, where are we now in D1 football?

We won a share of the NC in 1990. Since then we won ten or more games 3 times (in 32 years). Including those three, we won nine or more seven times. We had ten losing seasons. We fired two coaches during those years and are threatening a third right now.

We have lost to uga the past four years while scoring a total of 35 points. That total would not have won any of the four games.

We are already a notch below the SEC and B1G. And, most of the ACC if we're honest with ourselves.

I was with you until this.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I was with you until this.
Fair enough, so here is my point.

We have had one winning season in the ACC since 2014. We are 7-18 in the last three seasons. Of those seven wins, none was over a team with a winning record.

When you look at the SEC and B1G I wonder who would be below us in any ranking system. Vandy? Maybe. In the B1G Nebraska, Indiana, Rutgers, and Northwestern are their doormats. So I agree we are likely on a par with the bottom third of the B1G. But that is a woesome group.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wonder if we're even #2.
I know there was an article on this a couple of years ago but the GT alumni base in metro Atlanta was only the 8th or 9th largest in the Atlanta MSA.
All the large state schools around GA had larger alumni bases and I think even one or two of the B10 schools had larger alumni bases here than GT.

Atlanta is such a large economic engine that it draws people from all over the SE and the country.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I know there was an article on this a couple of years ago but the GT alumni base in metro Atlanta was only the 8th or 9th largest in the Atlanta MSA.
All the large state schools around GA had larger alumni bases and I think even one or two of the B10 schools had larger alumni bases here than GT.

Atlanta is such a large economic engine that it draws people from all over the SE and the country.
Slightly tangential to this, I always thought Tech could create more sidewalk fans if we were in the B1G given all the midwesterners in Atlanta. People in the south, for the most part, have already picked their teams by age 5.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Slightly tangential to this, I always thought Tech could create more sidewalk fans if we were in the B1G given all the midwesterners in Atlanta. People in the south, for the most part, have already picked their teams by age 5.

I think GT would certainly see a nice bump in attendance. As others have noted, the B1G has a large alumni presence and sidewalk fan presence in Atlanta. Most probably do not have the chance to travel back to their alma mater, or as "sidewalk" fan catch home games of their school of choice. GT being in the B1G gives them the opportunity to see their school every other year, or once every few years. It also creates a compelling matchup for GT fans to want to come and see GT play against good competition.

LOTS of positives for GT joining the B1G.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
All about the B1G. Need the money. Get UNC, Miami, UVA, and whoever to join too. Let Clemson, VT, and whatever else the SEC can get go there. Notre Dame is probably in the B1G at that point.

Might even be able to watch some games on television instead of whatever ridiculously awful package the ACC has with ESPN and other affiliates.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
All about the B1G. Need the money. Get UNC, Miami, UVA, and whoever to join too. Let Clemson, VT, and whatever else the SEC can get go there. Notre Dame is probably in the B1G at that point.

Might even be able to watch some games on television instead of whatever ridiculously awful package the ACC has with ESPN and other affiliates.

If ND joins anyone, it will be the B1G. That seems like a marriage that has always been inevitable. B1G played hardball with ND before ND agreed to an arrangement with the ACC. B1G said "all or nothing"...ND got ACC to kiss ND's ring and now the ACC has a friends with benefits relationship with ND. With the money B1G is forecasted to make over the next decade, and with the inevitable demise of the ACC, ND may not have a choice next expansion go around.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Sigh.... none of the players we got were on this list...

My apathy has peaked to such a point that we might actually have a good year just to spite me

Hmmm.....

The committee got together and removed you from the list. It was decided that your reverse-jinxy apathy could indeed be considered "optimism" for the season.

This strange wizardry has saved you, so consider yourself .... #ListProof

Congrats.

200.gif

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member