Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

JoJaTeck

Georgia Tech Fan
While I will be happy if we get him as we need all the help we can get on the DL, I don't see Wynn as a difference maker. I think he has the potential to be a rotational player at GT.

In 4 seasons he did not start a single game at AL. Also, of the 21 games he played in only 8 came against SEC opponents and then 2 more came against Duke and Miami. The other 11 appearances came against FCS and G5 teams. Never had more than 2 tackles in a game against anyone in his career. He is not someone I believe was a significant contributor at AL, he was more of a deep reserve type imo. I think Joseph would have made a larger impact on our DL.

Still, crossing fingers he comes here.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
now that he isn’t coming to us will the peanut gallery say he is amazing and collins sucks for not getting him or will they maintain their position that wynn wasn’t very good
Naw, we all gonna be happy and say this is the best of all possible outcomes because we’re Tech fans and we know nothing ever goes wrong in Tech sports.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
now that he isn’t coming to us will the peanut gallery say he is amazing and collins sucks for not getting him or will they maintain their position that wynn wasn’t very good
Again, this is not an "official capacity post" but this forum has devolved into more discussion about other posters here and their thoughts/feelings than it is about the actual program and teams. He's not coming here. That is a fact. Not worthy of further discussion or speculation imo. I am not trying to hurt your feelings or single you out as there are probably 20 other similar posts in this thread alone similar in nature. But, imo, these types of posts are more about other GT fans than they are the actual GT football team.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow

Well I was looking forward to seeing him on our team. Anyone more in the know than I am have any idea who is going to fill our final 4 spots? A quick glance at 24/7 doesn't really show much for us projection-wise.

They do have Dylan Deveney projected to go to Pitt, which surprises me.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Disappointed Wynn went to NE but we keep looking.

Like I said, I didn't see him as a difference maker, but someone who could be in the rotation at DL, which we could have used.

Just because a player is coming from an elite program doesn't mean they will be an elite player (or even a good player) at GT, that is overly simplistic. I think you have to look at what they have accomplished. That doesn't mean they have to be a star player, but I do like to see some significant contributions. Sometimes players don't play at Elite programs because they are not good college players, not because they are behind other elite players.

Elite programs miss on recruits just like every other program, the difference is they bring in alot more high potential recruits and are really good at churning young men who don't pan out for them.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I also want to add that while i'm happy to see us rebuild our depth in the QB room (and I think it is in a better spot than it was last year), I still think Sims is likely the clear starter.
I don't see Phommachanh as really overtaking Sims, at least not early in the season.
He is coming off an ACL injury from Clemson's 2021 Spring practice (though he still played in 5 games in 2021 for Clemson that fall). But his stats against ACC teams leave alot to be desired.
In 8 games against ACC opponents over 3 years (GT(2), Syracuse, FSU, L'ville, Miami, Wake and Pitt) he is 8-23 passing for 45 yds with 0 TD's and 1 INT and has 22 rushes for 99 yds. Now he is clearly playing in mop up time so the offense is going to be set up for him to run more, but those passing numbers (which was considered his weakness out of HS) are not encouraging.

He looks more proficient against lower level teams. In 4 games against SC ST, UConn, Citadel and Charlotte he is 14-25 for 159 yds passing with 1 TD and 2 INT and 8 rushes for 51 yds. The majority of those numbers come against SC St.

If you believe Sims is the clear starter right now, and I do given we have seen nothing indicating otherwise, then I would say Gibson appears to be the better backup in terms of passing and Phommachanh appears to be the better backup in terms of running.

JacketFan137

Banned
Again, this is not an "official capacity post" but this forum has devolved into more discussion about other posters here and their thoughts/feelings than it is about the actual program and teams. He's not coming here. That is a fact. Not worthy of further discussion or speculation imo. I am not trying to hurt your feelings or single you out as there are probably 20 other similar posts in this thread alone similar in nature. But, imo, these types of posts are more about other GT fans than they are the actual GT football team.
yeah i understand. getting frustrating cause it’s coming from both directions and nothing seems to be getting moderated

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Well I was looking forward to seeing him on our team. Anyone more in the know than I am have any idea who is going to fill our final 4 spots? A quick glance at 24/7 doesn't really show much for us projection-wise.

At 9 pm last nite Rivals said Stephon to be on campus later this week.
So far they have not called him to Neb.
Lots going on with many portal moves , so they could be slow to post or dont want to burn bridges at gt.

JacketFan137

Banned
I also want to add that while i'm happy to see us rebuild our depth in the QB room (and I think it is in a better spot than it was last year), I still think Sims is likely the clear starter.
I don't see Phommachanh as really overtaking Sims, at least not early in the season.
He is coming off an ACL injury from Clemson's 2021 Spring practice (though he still played in 5 games in 2021 for Clemson that fall). But his stats against ACC teams leave alot to be desired.
In 8 games against ACC opponents over 3 years (GT(2), Syracuse, FSU, L'ville, Miami, Wake and Pitt) he is 8-23 passing for 45 yds with 0 TD's and 1 INT and has 22 rushes for 99 yds. Now he is clearly playing in mop up time so the offense is going to be set up for him to run more, but those passing numbers (which was considered his weakness out of HS) are not encouraging.

He looks more proficient against lower level teams. In 4 games against SC ST, UConn, Citadel and Charlotte he is 14-25 for 159 yds passing with 1 TD and 2 INT and 8 rushes for 51 yds. The majority of those numbers come against SC St.

If you believe Sims is the clear starter right now, and I do given we have seen nothing indicating otherwise, then I would say Gibson appears to be the better backup in terms of passing and Phommachanh appears to be the better backup in terms of running.
not to nitpick but the injury was an achilles which is much worse than an acl. that injury has done a number of great athletes in and while sports medicine is improving constantly very few have ever returned to form and for a guy like him who was definitely projected as more of a running talent it is very unfortunate. also may be impacting his throwing to as the lower half can really generate that whip and torque to put zip on the ball.

i still think he is decent and qb depth was a glaring issue last year be it due to injuries or performance related as sims hasn’t had a qb really close to his level (even more concerning when he hasn’t even been consistent). gibson i have a feeling is gonna be a qb that if he comes in is more like an aj mccarron/greg mcelroy that is just a statue in the pocket that can deliver accurate short passes but don’t ask him to come up with a game breaking play whether it’s a deep ball or a big run. sims turnovers are an issue but we have to have big play threats in multiple positions to be competitive.

JacketFan137

Banned
At 9 pm last nite Rivals said Stephon to be on campus later this week.
So far they have not called him to Neb.
Lots going on with many portal moves , so they could be slow to post or dont want to burn bridges at gt.
going forward if they are not on the depth chart week 1 i am gonna assume the players are not on a team 😂 portal is insane from schools our level to the very top

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
going forward if they are not on the depth chart week 1 i am gonna assume the players are not on a team 😂 portal is insane from schools our level to the very top
It seems like that is all we can do at this point. Roster management must be a nightmare for coaches across the country.

For students to play next year, they have to be enrolled, right? Is this rollercoaster going to continue deep into the summer?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This paying players to play college football has gone from the smoke-filled backroom to the full-on display of mine is bigger than yours. What a transition. What is equally astonishing is the unwillingness of anyone to take a position of leadership or "hey, I am in charge and this is going to further destroy our once great game if it hasn't already done so, and here is how we are going to fix it." More or less, a statement on modern-day society. Let's just let this play out and see where it takes us.

Just my thoughts.

JacketFan137

Banned
This paying players to play college football has gone from the smoke-filled backroom to the full-on display of mine is bigger than yours. What a transition. What is equally astonishing is the unwillingness of anyone to take a position of leadership or "hey, I am in charge and this is going to further destroy our once great game if it hasn't already done so, and here is how we are going to fix it." More or less, a statement on modern-day society. Let's just let this play out and see where it takes us.

Just my thoughts.
ncaa knew NIL was gonna get improved and instead of attempting to get out in front and regulate it in any capacity they chose to just wash their hands and do nothing after losing the battle.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck

Probably another kicker and a DB at least

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
not to nitpick but the injury was an achilles which is much worse than an acl. that injury has done a number of great athletes in and while sports medicine is improving constantly very few have ever returned to form and for a guy like him who was definitely projected as more of a running talent it is very unfortunate. also may be impacting his throwing to as the lower half can really generate that whip and torque to put zip on the ball.

i still think he is decent and qb depth was a glaring issue last year be it due to injuries or performance related as sims hasn’t had a qb really close to his level (even more concerning when he hasn’t even been consistent). gibson i have a feeling is gonna be a qb that if he comes in is more like an aj mccarron/greg mcelroy that is just a statue in the pocket that can deliver accurate short passes but don’t ask him to come up with a game breaking play whether it’s a deep ball or a big run. sims turnovers are an issue but we have to have big play threats in multiple positions to be competitive.
The achilles generally takes longer to recover from but lately has a very successful recovery rate. Cam Akers, Rams RB, had a torn achilles last July and was able to play again about 6 months later. That's a bit earlier than normal, though. Generally full recovery takes between 9 - 12 months. For reference purposes my daughter is currently going through this exact recovery process and probably needs to whipping around more than a QB does as she does high level tumbling for competitive cheer. She was recently cleared to begin simple tumbling about a month ago after surgery in early September of last year.