Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
WR is the key group.
Need to add if #1 is not healthy and ready to roll. (We need another go to guy besides Singleton).

This spring and in early fall durng 7 on 7 practice we need the there to be no drop off between offense first and second team SO THE DEFENSE Secondary GETS BETTER IN PRACTICE. For too long the defensive back has been slow at the start of year and improved at the end of season. They have been practicing against lessor WR and QB.

I trust Key to make the call and i trust qb s to make the throws.

gtee91

Georgia Tech Fan
WR is the key group.
Need to add if #1 is not healthy and ready to roll. (We need another go to guy besides Singleton).

This spring and in early fall durng 7 on 7 practice we need the there to be no drop off between offense first and second team SO THE DEFENSE Secondary GETS BETTER IN PRACTICE. For too long the defensive back has been slow at the start of year and improved at the end of season. They have been practicing against lessor WR and QB.

I trust Key to make the call and i trust qb s to make the throws.
I may be way off base but I really do not think WR is our worst problem...we have a lot of talent there...hampered by injury but that happens everywhere

alagold

Helluva Engineer

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I agree.WR is down the list.If fact it might turn out to be a real strength.Give me a rush DE, a good exp LB or another bull DT, and we will better off.
If 1, who is 6'5" , is back, i completely agree.

Last year without Singleton ( a 2 star true freshman) was by far our best wr. Catch a few more wide open td passes and .....(nil$$). This year defenses will be keying on him.
I believe other wrs will step up, but worry that the fast ones are short.

But consider, if we have a great group of WR??? . What if #1 is very very good? How good could Singleton be?? We could actually out score really good teams.

Grest offense in 24 would fill stadium in 25 .....

In Key we trust

Last edited:

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
If 1, who is 6'5" , is back, i completely agree.

Last year without Singleton ( a 2 star true freshman) was by far our best wr. Catch a few more wide open td passes and .....(nil$$). This year defenses will be keying on him.
I believe other wrs will step up, but worry that the fast ones are short.

But consider, if we have a great group of WR??? . What if #1 is very very good? How good could Singleton be?? We could actually out score really good teams.

Grest offense in 24 would fill stadium in 25 .....

In Key we trust
We’ve yet to see Blackburn and BlackStrain for a full season. The quick look we saw of Blackburn showed that he could be a real difference maker in terms of winning 50/50 balls. He just needs a health to be on his side. I think he would be a go-to receiver for King and could really open things up for Singleton if they put him in the slot on the same side of the field as Blackburn

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We’ve yet to see Blackburn and BlackStrain for a full season. The quick look we saw of Blackburn showed that he could be a real difference maker in terms of winning 50/50 balls. He just needs a health to be on his side. I think he would be a go-to receiver for King and could really open things up for Singleton if they put him in the slot on the same side of the field as Blackburn
Especially in the redzone where it is hard to move the ball. It would be so nice to see a return of the unstoppable fade to the corner of the end zone ala Calvin and Bay Bay!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have this theory that most of these big receivers played high school basketball down low near the basket. They learned the secret to rebounding is body work and positioning. You can see it when these guys win the one on ones. Most of the work is done before the jump.

slugboy

Staff member
Especially in the redzone where it is hard to move the ball. It would be so nice to see a return of the unstoppable fade to the corner of the end zone ala Calvin and Bay Bay!
Well, it’s not too bad with a great QB and Megatron or Bay Bay, but otherwise

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
I have this theory that most of these big receivers played high school basketball down low near the basket. They learned the secret to rebounding is body work and positioning. You can see it when these guys win the one on ones. Most of the work is done before the jump.
I agree that multi-sport athletes, especially football and basketball, use the body mechanics from one sport for the other. I recall in the early 1970's my friend and classmate Meade Sutterfield told me he used his hip movements learned from being a football guard as center on his Sandy Springs GA AA state championship team to move and block out the opposition taller center to defend him and out rebound him. UGA's/Dolphins super bowl champ defensive tackle Bill Stanfield was center on Cairo's state AA championship in the mid-60's. Also, Tech's running back Brent Cunningham was a point guard in the Class C state basketball tournament and used his sense of seeing the court and foot quickness to see the football openings to gain yards. He also lettered in track at Tech.

Back in the day, almost every GT athlete was a multi-sport high school letter winner in high school. As a guard on the Tech basketball team, I was a high school track letterman, winning the state mile and two mile and putting the shot and throwing the discus, and playing center field as letterman on the baseball team, as well as MVP on the state Class C basketball championship team. Georgia Tech has had many multi-sport letterwinners, including Whack Hyder who was on a football scholarship and lettered in 4 other other sports (Tech HOF in two), Frank Broyles was a football and basketball letterwinner, Roger Kaiser lettered on the basketball and baseball team, as did Bobby Dews. Rich Yunkus lettered in Basketball and Track. My feeling is that athletes today concentrate solely on one sport too much and could benefit from playing in other sports as teenagers. I think that would also reduce injuries overall in developing the body for various awkward or overused muscle movements.

TheNaturalScientist

Jolly Good Fellow
My second least favorite pass play. Works about 5% of the time.
What is your least favorite pass play? My least favorite play (not a pass) is when the offense gets a big play to make it first and 10 and then hurries up to the line to run up A-gap out of shotgun making it second and 9. Happens all the time and is maddening to watch

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What is your least favorite pass play? My least favorite play (not a pass) is when the offense gets a big play to make it first and 10 and then hurries up to the line to run up A-gap out of shotgun making it second and 9. Happens all the time and is maddening to watch
Actually, come to think of it the fade is my least favorite. In second place would be the bubble screen.
The bubble screen is a low percentage play, but better than the fade. The fade is down around 5%.
But we digress...

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow

Our of curiosity, what is it about that particular play that frustrate you. I think a 1 yard gain on any play after a 10+ first down is hard to stomach on any called play. Are you more just saying that particular situation is you least favorite?