Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Let's not go crazy now.

Let the man dream, machete. There's nothin' bad about dreamin'...

stephen king dreaming GIF

... on 2nd thought....

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
This is very good news. Even though our defense wasn't great last year, continuity (with the decent/good players) will make the new staff's job much easier. Our linebacker room is starting to look like a bit of a strength — Kyle, Tren, Lightsey, and Hamilton.
None of those guys have done anything in college except Efford the last few games of the year. We need to add 1 more proven LB imo. Edge is still priority #1 though

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Even if it's just for depth, getting Tren back is a huge plus! He's a bit undersized, but we'll see how the new defensive staff can utilize him. He's quick and athletic, so he can absolutely be an asset to this team.

He showed a few flashes of production last year, but often times was out of position and often seemed to get washed out of plays. Perhaps a new scheme and coaching will be a positive change for him.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Even if it's just for depth, getting Tren back is a huge plus! He's a bit undersized, but we'll see how the new defensive staff can utilize him. He's quick and athletic, so he can absolutely be an asset to this team.

He showed a few flashes of production last year, but often times was out of position and often seemed to get washed out of plays. Perhaps a new scheme and coaching will be a positive change for him.
If he can cover he might could be a nickel back with the assignment to cover TE/RB. He has the size and speed to deliver good run support.

gtee91

Georgia Tech Fan

I am just waiting for the spring portal to close....then we will have an idea of who wants to play for this team

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I agree with whoever said it, only one player that has shown anything at LB, Efford. I don't know anything about Hamilton except he played some and Tatum so far not that impressive and the kid from Athens a relative unknown, seems to have some nice measurables for LB position. I'm hopeful we are yet to get one or two out of the portal that can play like the kid we got from MD. If we improve up front and edge it certainly will help the LBs. I'm guessing we're in the process of getting some help, opportunity for some kids that make the move to GT.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck

Hes likely not going to be an every down LB but if the staff can use him in certain downs and packages he can be valuable. We started using him more situationally at the end of the year and he seemed to play better.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Unlike stetson, he's gotten au undergrad and masters.

Yup. At least this guy is working the system the right way...but still, NINE years?!! Hey, good for him getting his education paid for.

BTW, I've seen multiple people questioning how long the NCAA's 4 years of eligibility rules will last. People seem to think that there will be a challenge to the 4 years of eligibility rule.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Unlike stetson, he's gotten au undergrad and masters.
It's definitely an odd case but when looking at his history he's basically only played 2.5 seasons due to a terrible string of bad injury and illness luck. He hasn't been transferring all over the place and, as @TooTall said he has earned both an undergrad and masters degree at Oregon. For those that don't have subscriptions to The Athletic here's a summary of the injuries and illnesses he's gone through:
  • Had an ACL tear in his senior year in high school
  • Redshirted his first year
  • Got rhabdomyolysis in Jan 2017
  • Played the full season in his r-Fr year which was the 2017 season
  • broke left ankle in the 2018 season opener and then he also missed the 2019 and 2020 seasons due to complications following surgery for that injury
  • He then tore the Achilles on the other leg two games into the 2021 season before returning and starting six games for Oregon in 2022
  • Transferred to Miami and played in 11 games this past season
If there's a guy who deserves another year to use up his eligibility I think he's it. To persevere through all those injuries and still want to come back and play and all that time actually attending classes and earning college degrees is amazing.