Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

gtee91

Georgia Tech Fan
I may have missed this but...does anyone have a good estimate of committed scholarships at this point headed towards spring practice?

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
In the old days, people said we could not take transfer players because Ma tech would not accept their credits/grades. Has all that changed?
I can't speak to whether this is different for athletes but since my daughter transferred to GT last summer we did a lot of research on the classes she needed to take in order to get in to GT. One thing I found interesting is that, for some reason, Calc 1 is required for every single person transferring into GT. My daughter's chosen major is LMC (yes some of our athletes are also in this major and she had class with a few of them last semester - said that Avery Boyd is a really nice person and a very hard worker!) and it does not require Calc. But since she transferred in she had to take Calc 1 at KSU before coming to GT and then, since she was already on the Calc track, she had to take Calc 2. I don't know if that impacts our football transfers.

Anyway, while doing research, we found an app on the GT website where you go and pick the school where you are currently enrolled and you look up the classes you've taken and then it shows you the class at GT that it maps to, if it does map to anything at GT. I imagine that with the football players there are academic support staff that will do that mapping. What I suspect is a challenge is that kids may have a bunch of classes that don't count as anything other than free electives and that affects their progress towards degree. But also, since there are progress towards degree requirements in general that probably has helped GT overall.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Nobody is arguing that. The question was what is the greatest position of need at this point. That depends on what base defense we're going to play. That has nothing to do with needing depth across the board. No need to turn everything into an argument.
Base defenses really only play about 25% of the snaps anymore. Need good players that can play and giving the coaches options.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Nobody is arguing that. The question was what is the greatest position of need at this point. That depends on what base defense we're going to play. That has nothing to do with needing depth across the board. No need to turn everything into an argument.
Nickel type player is most needed. Without getting one I would consider moving Brooks

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Linebacker is the biggest concern to me. Outside of Efford, I'm not sure who has more than a handful of reps. I'm guessing, EJ Lightsey may start across from him?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Base defenses really only play about 25% of the snaps anymore. Need good players that can play and giving the coaches options.
I agree with this. The original question was about the greatest need. It seems LNJ feels the greatest need is depth now. I understand that too now that he's explained it down to my level.

My point was that the greatest need depends on what type of defense we're going to be running. I didn't bring the question, I just provided my opinion as to the answer. I don't know what defense we're going to run, so I don't know if we need OLB/Edge rushers like they use with the 3-4 or 3-3-5. Would we be using a 0-technique like Woody or a 1-technique? How do our DBs match up to the type of coverage we're going to be running? Will we be mostly zone, mostly match-up man-on-man?

For me , to answer the question that was asked, we need information about what type of defense we will be running. I agree also that we need athletes and sure tacklers on defense. Nose for the ball and no hesitation.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this. The original question was about the greatest need. It seems LNJ feels the greatest need is depth now. I understand that too now that he's explained it down to my level.

My point was that the greatest need depends on what type of defense we're going to be running. I didn't bring the question, I just provided my opinion as to the answer. I don't know what defense we're going to run, so I don't know if we need OLB/Edge rushers like they use with the 3-4 or 3-3-5. Would we be using a 0-technique like Woody or a 1-technique? How do our DBs match up to the type of coverage we're going to be running? Will we be mostly zone, mostly match-up man-on-man?

For me , to answer the question that was asked, we need information about what type of defense we will be running. I agree also that we need athletes and sure tacklers on defense. Nose for the ball and no hesitation.
True and as LNJ said we really need help at every position. Parsing the DL is a bit more specific that the general question seemed.

We need DTs, DEs, LB (pick a type) and CB. Safety is probably our strongest position now.

Our defense was really bad at all three levels.

Your post was fine. I doubt we find out any specific formation for the defense until the Spring Game.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
This is probably as good a place as any to post this. This is our current pool of players for defense. These are guys who are either returning starters, depth chart listees, or transfers.

Interior
Makius Scott 6’4 295
Zeek Biggers 6’6 341
Horace Lockett 6’6 337
Ayo Tifase 6’5 300
Shymeik Jones 6’5 283

End
Eddie Kelly 6’4 274
Sylvain Yondjouen 6’4 257
Josh Robinson 6’6 259
Kevin Harris 6’4 241
Jack Barton 6’4 265

Linebacker
Kyle Efford 6’2 230
EJ Lightsey 6’2 225
Jackson Hamilton 6’ 225
Jacob Cruz 6’4 232
Nacari Ashley 6’3 210
Austin Dean 6’2 225

Secondary
LaMiles Brooks 6’2 192
Clayton Powell-Lee 6’2 175
Omar Daniels 6’0 178
Ahmari Harvey 6’0 174
Khari Gee 6’2 202
Rodney Shelley 5’11 165
DJ Moore 6’1 188
Warren Burrell 6’ 190
Syeed Gibbs 6’ 180
Taye Seymore 5’11 203

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Mum Secrets GIF

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
This is probably as good a place as any to post this. This is our current pool of players for defense. These are guys who are either returning starters, depth chart listees, or transfers.

Interior
Makius Scott 6’4 295
Zeek Biggers 6’6 341
Horace Lockett 6’6 337
Ayo Tifase 6’5 300
Shymeik Jones 6’5 283

End
Eddie Kelly 6’4 274
Sylvain Yondjouen 6’4 257
Josh Robinson 6’6 259
Kevin Harris 6’4 241
Jack Barton 6’4 265

Linebacker
Kyle Efford 6’2 230
EJ Lightsey 6’2 225
Jackson Hamilton 6’ 225
Jacob Cruz 6’4 232
Nacari Ashley 6’3 210
Austin Dean 6’2 225

Secondary
LaMiles Brooks 6’2 192
Clayton Powell-Lee 6’2 175
Omar Daniels 6’0 178
Ahmari Harvey 6’0 174
Khari Gee 6’2 202
Rodney Shelley 5’11 165
DJ Moore 6’1 188
Warren Burrell 6’ 190
Syeed Gibbs 6’ 180
Taye Seymore 5’11 203
At this point, with our new DC just starting, this is not too bad IMO. Hopefully no more losses and add some solid depth.