Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
To me looks like:

(1) grad transfers going to P5 programs to use football to get another degree/prep for NFL. I support that.

(2) Guys dropping down to G5 for PT, academics, or whatever else.

Might be a win/win.

Whatever the reason I thank each and every player from last year and wish them all the success in the world. Last year was like new life for the program and it takes them all to turn it around like that.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I wish them the best as well and thank them for their efforts in the white and gold. I am, though, underwhelmed by the group of programs represented in our transfers out.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I wish them the best as well and thank them for their efforts in the white and gold. I am, though, underwhelmed by the group of programs represented in our transfers out.
It’s been clear our roster needed significant upgrading. Hard to tell if we accomplished that. The three that signed with P5 programs all had graduated from GT. Totally understandable why they my want something different.

If guys weren’t getting much playing time for GT, especially on defense they likely weren’t going to a P5 program.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Kind of sad, really, IMPO.
I am more interested in how the individual players feel versus how any of us feel about it. If their goal is to go somewhere they can play and they accomplish that goal then good for them. I’m happy for most of them that they get something they wanted that they could not at GT and don’t have to sit out a year in order to do it.

As for the guys leaving for a payday… I don’t have any real feelings one way or the other. I’m numb to that by this point.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
How so? That’s an honest question. I don’t know what you mean.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I am more interested in how the individual players feel versus how any of us feel about it. If their goal is to go somewhere they can play and they accomplish that goal then good for them. I’m happy for most of them that they get something they wanted that they could not at GT and don’t have to sit out a year in order to do it.

As for the guys leaving for a payday… I don’t have any real feelings one way or the other. I’m numb to that by this point.
I don't think anyone is leaving for a payday really. The guys ending up at other P5 programs all graduated and were solid contributors but not superstars.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

Sure. It’s their decision to make where they play college ball. The only thing that truly matters is for them to get where they want to be.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anyone is leaving for a payday really. The guys ending up at other P5 programs all graduated and were solid contributors but not superstars.
Yeah I think you're right about that in this cycle. I meant that more as my attitude in general towards that practice.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I re-read my response to you and realized it sounded kind of judgy and I apologize for that. I truly did not mean it to come off that way.
Not a problem. I was just recalling how improved our recruiting was said to be the past few years. Transfers are kind of the ultimate retrospective on that, it seems to me.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I am very interested in having a plan to keep the few that could help in future.

A lot of those leaving now are not talented enough to help soon or are in a crowded position group.

On defense the coaching is being portaled out and more NIL $ added. Chump change money can't overcome the fear that new coaches will do fruit basket turnover and play others brought in by portal

In 25 we will need a lot more NIL to attract and keep top skill players.

The offe

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I am very interested in having a plan to keep the few that could help in future.

A lot of those leaving now are not talented enough to help soon or are in a crowded position group.

On defense the coaching is being portaled out and more NIL $ added. Chump change money can't overcome the fear that new coaches will do fruit basket turnover and play others brought in by portal

In 25 we will need a lot more NIL to attract and keep top skill players.

The offe
Completely agree that the coaches have to plan on how to keep the ones they want in the room. This year it was pretty clear there was a plan on how to keep the ones they felt strongly needed to be kept from leaving. I would love to have the problem that we have so many talented guys all over the field that we need a lot more money to keep them. Hopefully as we do get more players who contribute on the field we will see enough additional NIL investment.

Suavehouse

Georgia Tech Fan
We would be dumb not to reach out. I don’t know if bridges have been burned, but considering we will have a new coaching staff on D from when he was here, maybe we can mend the relationship. He would be the biggest transfer we have gotten so far.
Hey guys. I can tell you this about Knight..he LOVES TECH,the problem was 1. Thacker had his favorite's on the field(even when they had nothing left in the tank) 2. When Key took over he told Knight he’d “ONLY” play special teams. Not sure why Thacker didn’t play him which hurt his chances with impressing Key, but it worked out for him as you can see. He will always and forever be a YELLOW JACKET. NO LOVE LOST. Congrats on the bowl win also. (He would have probably come back if offered).
So I guess that is the question...did he have a beef with a previous person and now there is a chance ? Or is the beef still around ?

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Hey guys. I can tell you this about Knight..he LOVES TECH,the problem was 1. Thacker had his favorite's on the field(even when they had nothing left in the tank) 2. When Key took over he told Knight he’d “ONLY” play special teams. Not sure why Thacker didn’t play him which hurt his chances with impressing Key, but it worked out for him as you can see. He will always and forever be a YELLOW JACKET. NO LOVE LOST. Congrats on the bowl win also. (He would have probably come back if offered).
He is a great kid! Always seemed willing to do whatever he could to help the team by shifting positions. I hate that it didn't work out for him here but I continue to root for him to succeed!

gtee91

Georgia Tech Fan
The mutts and other SEC appear to be poaching whoever they want from Bama...rich always get richer. Rumors are that Bama will be basically Vandy when the dust settles for this year.