Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Which means we need to keep football eligibility and progress toward an undergraduate degree in sync
Agree, but this is very challenging to do with the extra Covid year.

You need only 120 semester hours to meet a bachelor's degree requirement. You also must take at least 12 hours per semester to stay eligible. That equates to only 10 semesters of school (5 years with no summer classes) to qualify for a degree while taking the minimum. So even if you take extra courses/semesters, it's going to be tough to remain an eligible undergrad for a sixth year. You could do it if you didn't mind changing majors a couple of times, but if you are a typical student, you would prefer to "get out" before your sixth year.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Agree, but this is very challenging to do with the extra Covid year.

You need only 120 semester hours to meet a bachelor's degree requirement. You also must take at least 12 hours per semester to stay eligible. That equates to only 10 semesters of school (5 years with no summer classes) to qualify for a degree while taking the minimum. So even if you take extra courses/semesters, it's going to be tough to remain an eligible undergrad for a sixth year. You could do it if you didn't mind changing majors a couple of times, but if you are a typical student, you would prefer to "get out" before your sixth year.
Are you sure on the 12 hours? I thought it was 6. Of course, I could be wrong.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Are you sure on the 12 hours? I thought it was 6. Of course, I could be wrong.
I found this list that did a good job of listing out the coursework requirements:
  • Be enrolled and attending as a full-time student each semester (12+ credits for undergraduate; 9 credits + for graduate)
  • Each semester, you must earn 6 credits of coursework that apply to graduation in your designated academic program (Football Only: nine hours completed during the Fall term)
  • Earn a minimum of 24 hours of coursework in your academic program during the first year in order to be eligible to compete the next year
  • Earn at least 18 hours in your major every academic year, (fall and spring semesters)
  • Declare a major before the third year or 5th semester of your enrollment in college
(Found this on a site from UNLV's Academic Success Center here so it's possible I'm mis-applying the info and if I am then I apologize in advance: https://www.unlv.edu/asc/student-at...ester, you must earn,to compete the next year)

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I found this list that did a good job of listing out the coursework requirements:
  • Be enrolled and attending as a full-time student each semester (12+ credits for undergraduate; 9 credits + for graduate)
  • Each semester, you must earn 6 credits of coursework that apply to graduation in your designated academic program (Football Only: nine hours completed during the Fall term)
  • Earn a minimum of 24 hours of coursework in your academic program during the first year in order to be eligible to compete the next year
  • Earn at least 18 hours in your major every academic year, (fall and spring semesters)
  • Declare a major before the third year or 5th semester of your enrollment in college
(Found this on a site from UNLV's Academic Success Center here so it's possible I'm mis-applying the info and if I am then I apologize in advance: https://www.unlv.edu/asc/student-athlete/ncaa-requirements#:~:text=Each semester, you must earn,to compete the next year)
It is 6 hours and that is only for semesters they are in school playing football. They can take fewer hours in the summer.

Ok, so it's a bit more complicated than I realized. You have to be enrolled for 12 hours but earn only 6. Reminds me of my time at GT, lol.

Since you also have to earn a minimum of 24 hours per year, to be eligible to play the next year, it means you still have to earn 120 hours over 5 years, which is enough to graduate. You don't have to have 120 hours in your major in 5 years, however. You do have to have 80% of your hours towards your major after four years. Net of all this is that it would still be challenging to stay eligible for 6 years as an undergrad.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so it's a bit more complicated than I realized. You have to be enrolled for 12 hours but earn only 6. Reminds me of my time at GT, lol.

Since you also have to earn a minimum of 24 hours per year, to be eligible to play the next year, it means you still have to earn 120 hours over 5 years, which is enough to graduate. You don't have to have 120 hours in your major in 5 years, however. You do have to have 80% of your hours towards your major after four years. Net of all this is that it would still be challenging to stay eligible for 6 years as an undergrad.
I think the earn 6 hours is specific to your major classes. You could register for 4 three-hour classes, for example, and as long as two of them counted towards your major degree then you’re fine. So I surmise it can be any classes you need in order to graduate, not just classes offered by your major.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
It came from UNLV's Academic Success Center??? There is a lot to umpack there. Wonder if that place was a viable entity when Tark the Shark was the head BB coach? ;)
The funny thing is that I thought the exact same thing about it coming from UNLV :LOL:

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
So Noah Collins went to Arkansas St. where else are our guys landing?
Zach Gibson and Kenyatta Watson II - Georgia State
Ezra Odinjor - UAB
Ashton Heflin - Marshall
D'Quan Douse - Michigan State
Kyle Kennard - South Carolina
Elias Cloy - Alabama A&M
Bryston Dixon - South Alabama
Tyler Gibson - Charlotte
Kenan Johnson - Utah
Juju Lewis - FIU

Those are the ones I know of.

stinger78