Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I've felt that way about redshirting for the past 15+ years. It's a relic.
Agree on Skill players - we need to see if they have it as freshmen. We can get them off portal - like Walker who is back from Tennesse. Gt is a great hs football location to recruit out of hs (make impression and learn about recruit) and attract them back home.

Disagree on O And D Linemen that Gt can currently recruit.
Assuming on track to graduate, by end of they should be "encouraged " to pump breaks on getting further ahead and hit the gas in training and film room. At end of year 2 we need them to have the talk. Must have guys being grown here with a few special case portal ol.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
My son started his freshman year of HS taking classes at the local college. For free. The state of SC had a program for the last few years where HS students could dual enroll at local community colleges and tech schools and the state would pick up the tab. I think GA has had or maybe still has a similar program in place. This is in addition to any AP classes taken. I saw an article recently (not sports related per se) where it was discussing how more HS students are entering college with 1+ years already under their belt than ever before because of the new state laws in place encouraging it.
My daughter was a college graduate before she was a high school graduate. She did the dual enrollment route in Florida and all her classes for the last two years of high school were at the local Community College. The college graduation for her Associates degree was a week before her High School graduation. As part of her dual enrollment she took enough Calculus classes that Tech credited her with the Calc I requirement and she started in Calc II. Not sure if it took a full week, but she dropped Calc II and signed up for Calc I instead; her explanation was that Community College calculus and Georgia Tech calculus are not equivalent, the first week of Calc II was reviewing stuff learned in Calc I and she was totally lost.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
we are up to 21 outbound transfers which is 25% of our scholarships. That seems really high. I can't believe they are all being processed out

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
we are up to 21 outbound transfers which is 25% of our scholarships. That seems really high. I can't believe they are all being processed out

They aren't. Quite a few have or will graduate. That is an accomplishment worth celebrating, especially for a football player. Perhaps they did not get into graduate school here or are interested in going to get a graduate degree in something not offered at Tech.

It would be good to differentiate those that are/will graduate versus those who are not when looking at outbound transfers.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
They aren't. Quite a few have or will graduate. That is an accomplishment worth celebrating, especially for a football player. Perhaps they did not get into graduate school here or are interested in going to get a graduate degree in something not offered at Tech.

It would be good to differentiate those that are/will graduate versus those who are not when looking at outbound transfers.
Yeah, in today‘s world college credits are very easy to come by especially if you brought in a bunch of credits from high school which most GT eligible kids do from dual enrollments and AP courses. My kids were almost sophomores before they stepped on campus. Then for athletes who stay on campus all year it’s easy to graduate in 3 years. My GT son not only co-oped the fall and summer but also did a spring internship so essentially worked for a year straight - but he also took several classes at the same time. Point is, it’s not that difficult to graduate in 3 years or work while going to school. In the old days it was darn near impossible to graduate early but it’s really flipped. If anything GT should slow up the athletes so they can’t graduate early so we can hold them hostage for another fall.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

Just off top of my head: Kennard, Kenan Johnson, Douse, Meiguez were all graduates.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
1000000410.png

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Wow that picture was back when he was in shape. He was good second stringer but not all conference type of talent. Hopefully we will replace him with someone better.

Go Jackets!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wow that picture was back when he was in shape. He was good second stringer but not all conference type of talent. Hopefully we will replace him with someone better.

Go Jackets!

Douse was coming into his own. Played very well late last season. He would have been better next year, and that's what's hurting GT. We're losing DLs just as their maturing.

As I said in another thread, seems GT is becoming a DL incubator for other schools.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Douse was coming into his own. Played very well late last season. He would have been better next year, and that's what's hurting GT. We're losing DLs just as their maturing.

As I said in another thread, seems GT is becoming a DL incubator for other schools.

We couldn't keep douse he has been here 4 seasons and had graduated. He is going somewhere where he can just focus on playing football while doing a bare minimum school before the pros.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We couldn't keep douse he has been here 4 seasons and had graduated. He is going somewhere where he can just focus on playing football while doing a bare minimum school before the pros.

I get that. My point is GT is "incubating" DLs for other schools to benefit. Douse isn't the only one, and I listed quite a few DLs that have moved on and contributed elsewhere.

BTW, if Douse's main objective is to focus on playing football and preparing for the pros, he can do it at GT as well. He could have deferred his graduation to another semester while taking 12 credits of easy classes, or applied to building construction grad program (it's a popular grad school major for incoming grad transfers...our basketball program utilizes it) or some other program.

IMO, Douse probably just wants to do something new. He's earned that right, and I don't have any ill will towards that. He did everything the right way, contributed to our team, and got his GT degree. Even if he didn't get his degree, he doesn't owe GT anything. It works both ways.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I think this goes hand in hand with our recruiting. We do not get the blue chip DL (or other positions as well) that can step in and make an impact early. We do however get solid 3* stars who usually can and will mature into productive players given enough time. Douse was progressively getting better and it was visible.It does hurt us to lose these guys when they have eligibilty (but, as said above, it hurts less when they have graduated in a sense). Adam Gotsis was exhibit A in this discussion. When we think of him we typically remember the guy who was unblockable in his senior year and played himself into an early draft pick. But he wasn't that player early on.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I think this goes hand in hand with our recruiting. We do not get the blue chip DL (or other positions as well) that can step in and make an impact early. We do however get solid 3* stars who usually can and will mature into productive players given enough time. Douse was progressively getting better and it was visible.It does hurt us to lose these guys when they have eligibilty (but, as said above, it hurts less when they have graduated in a sense). Adam Gotsis was exhibit A in this discussion. When we think of him we typically remember the guy who was unblockable in his senior year and played himself into an early draft pick. But he wasn't that player early on.
Which means we need to keep football eligibility and progress toward an undergraduate degree in sync

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell's qbs get a lot of passign touchdowns off pop passes and because his "pitch" is forward. If you went back and recalculated Justin Thomas's stats by making every option pitch count as a pass he ends up with 25+ TDS ever year against like 4-10 ints and something like 3200 yards passing.
I remember well those jacket fans who started wanting CPJ gone long before 2014. Later, when your observation was pointed out to them, they still didn’t like the visual of a pitch even though it was similar to a run and shoot offense and had the same effect. Those in the Tech family who could not be convinced of the effectiveness of Thomas distributing the ball around paved the way for CGC.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Pretty interesting to me that some schools have a hard time graduating players....we churn out undergrads but none if them seem to stay for grad school...not sure why
The grad program you need, and can get accepted into, is often not in the college you graduated from.

I have a doctor who was undergraduate at Florida and went to med school at FSU. He’s very conflicted during football season. 😊

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
The grad program you need, and can get accepted into, is often not in the college you graduated from.

I have a doctor who was undergraduate at Florida and went to med school at FSU. He’s very conflicted during football season. 😊
He’s only convicted because Florida is struggling. Undergrad always trumps grad for fan loyalty.