Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Why do people think that we're going to be the victims of poaching when we have players that have all conference type of seasons? It would be understandable if we were G5 school and had one guy absolutely light it up on the field, but that's not the case. We're an ascending P5 program with stability, which gives us more to offer now than in years past. I think it will be harder to convince guys to leave Tech.

gtee91

Georgia Tech Fan
Why do people think that we're going to be the victims of poaching when we have players that have all conference type of seasons? It would be understandable if we were G5 school and had one guy absolutely light it up on the field, but that's not the case. We're an ascending P5 program with stability, which gives us more to offer now than in years past. I think it will be harder to convince guys to leave Tech.
There is a lot of talk about a lot of money flowing around...I do not have receipts but there is too much talk to ignore. There is also a lot of talk about what conference is better than others and oh by the way the media says FSU will doom the ACC. So given all that, any player could be convinced there is greener grass

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
There is a lot of talk about a lot of money flowing around...I do not have receipts but there is too much talk to ignore. There is also a lot of talk about what conference is better than others and oh by the way the media says FSU will doom the ACC. So given all that, any player could be convinced there is greener grass
I get it but at least right now we had a freshman All American receiver that couldn't be convinced. We'll see what the college landscape looks like in a few years to have a better view of where we stand but right we're in a good place.

TheNaturalScientist

Jolly Good Fellow
I get it but at least right now we had a freshman All American receiver that couldn't be convinced. We'll see what the college landscape looks like in a few years to have a better view of where we stand but right we're in a good place.
Singleton is a very exciting player and I greatly hope he will be back next season. However, we had a player last season in Zamari Walton who announced on social media that he was coming back, entered the portal, and joined ole miss in the span of 1 week.

Anything can happen in the game today.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I know these are no longer "meant to be understood", but I just don't get Collins at all. He was in line to play a bunch this coming season.
Collins was the lowest graded DE on the team this season according to PFF. I’m not sure this was his decision.

I’m honestly confused why we’re so concerned about the DEs who’ve transferred out. The only DEs who played in 2023 and transferred out are Collins (lowest graded DE), Reuben (38 snaps all season), and Kennard (is he really the single source of the concern?). Kennard was a grad transfer so we don’t even know the full story there. Kevin Harris, Eddie Kelly, Josh Robinson, Sylvain, the freshmen and new transfers are probably not a far drop off (if at all) from who played this season + Kennard and a lowly-graded Collins.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The external issues (according to my peers who pursued the MBA after entering the work force) were the difficulties and not so much the academic work. All of my peers felt like the course work was actually easier than the undergrad work. Of course, their masters were NOT in the same discipline as their undergrad which might have altered their perceptions to a degree. All went from engineering to business. What was your experience in terms of academic difficulty when comparing master's level work to undergrad?
There is an old saying that I can’t remember exactly but it’s something to the effect that how ever much time you have is exactly how much time the job will take.

I think grad school was harder but I was much more focused. I literally had to schedule every hour of the day, every day of the week while planning for certain assignments months ahead. That was the only way I could work full time, raise a family and go to school.

In college I had a lot more free time, obviously, so I goofed off a lot and put myself under time pressure all the time. My grades were not as good as a result.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
There is an old saying that I can’t remember exactly but it’s something to the effect that how ever much time you have is exactly how much time the job will take.

I think grad school was harder but I was much more focused. I literally had to schedule every hour of the day, every day of the week while planning for certain assignments months ahead. That was the only way I could work full time, raise a family and go to school.

In college I had a lot more free time, obviously, so I goofed off a lot and put myself under time pressure all the time. My grades were not as good as a result.
Parkinson's Law is the adage that work will expand to fill the time allotted for its completion.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Kenyatta Watson was the lowest graded player on the defense, according to PFF.

Noah Collins was the lowest graded DE, according to PFF.

Etinosa Reuben played 97 snaps in his GT career and had one tackle.

Kenan Johnson, Kyle Kennard, and Jason Moore graduated from GT after staying in the program for 4+ years.

I don’t even know the freshmen’s names who are transferring out because they weren’t stud recruits and never played at GT, no offense to them.

Why are we worried again?

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Singleton is a very exciting player and I greatly hope he will be back next season. However, we had a player last season in Zamari Walton who announced on social media that he was coming back, entered the portal, and joined ole miss in the span of 1 week.

Anything can happen in the game today.
I'm pretty sure Walton had already graduated.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow

Kenan Johnson, Kyle Kennard, and Jason Moore graduated from GT after staying in the program for 4+ years.

I don’t even know the freshmen’s names who are transferring out because they weren’t stud recruits and never played at GT, no offense to them.

None of the players leaving are back-breakers. The issue is more what depth is remaining over the course of a season - recall 2015 when we were on our 6th and 7th string A-backs by the end of the year. The bottom line being you need to have enough warm bodies on the sideline. I have full confidence we’ll figure that out through the portal, though.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow

At least key gets to start playing players he signed. The last couple of recruiting season😀I hope everything turns out good for the ones signed the ones transferring in and the ones transferring out. Good luck to everyone 🙏.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
At least key gets to start playing players he signed. The last couple of recruiting season😀I hope everything turns out good for the ones signed the ones transferring in and the ones transferring out. Good luck to everyone 🙏.
If the players he didn't recruit weren't as good as those he recruited, those he didn't sign wouldn't be playing. This comment doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
None of the players leaving are back-breakers. The issue is more what depth is remaining over the course of a season - recall 2015 when we were on our 6th and 7th string A-backs by the end of the year. The bottom line being you need to have enough warm bodies on the sideline. I have full confidence we’ll figure that out through the portal, though.
End of the year? Off the 2014 team we lost Perkins, Hill, Zenon, and Bostic. Andrews was suspended, and Snoddy was injured. That's the top 6 A backs from 2014 gone from the start. To the degree we had other attrition at the position, it was true FR and the guys who were #7-11 the previous years. Still, we lost like 4 games by one score in 2015. That season could easily have been a 7-win bowl year if the ball bounces our way a few more times.

slugboy

Staff member
In comparison to our recruiting class, Sanders at Colorado said publicly that is plan is to get 40% of his players as upperclassmen transfers, 40% as transfers with multiple years left, and 20% from high school. My guess is that he’s hoping the younger transfers won’t be able to transfer again.

So far, he’s short at WR, DT, and Edge, and he’s asking “Santa” to bring him some.

DL is hard to fill, even when you’re a media star and you have friends with NIL.

For us, either we’ve had a run of terrible fortune on the DL, or this is on purpose.

It’s just a few days after Christmas. I’m looking forward to reading about new defensive coaches (we need to add no less than two)

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
It's difficult, nigh impossible, without direct statement to know why a player is moving on, academics, playing time, team fit, coaching changes, life in general, etc. The freedom to move on is alluring to the young and the beaches in Atlanta close in the winter.
The antidote to this is really wanting a piece of paper with the GT on it. It’s what made us all persevere as we talked with our HS buddies over Christmas break and found out they were partying every other night. Deep down we knew we were paying the down payment on a successful career and that we had to think long term. IMPO, far too few college football players are thinking long term.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Sorry but most of our DL players in the portal are pretty replaceable. In fact, I bet some of them have been told that talent is coming in- so them leaving could them be gauging their place in the depth chart
Thats what i’m thinking, upgrades are coming 🤞