Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
This is off-topic but I am wondering (from those of you who have master's degrees) just how much more difficult grad school is than undergrad. In my former life, i worked with a number of engineers (not all from Tech) who got MBA's from Ga. State in the evenings. To a person, they all said the undergrad work was much more difficult. What made the evening MBA program challenging was doing it while also working, having a wife/kids and taking care of their household responsibilities.

I agree with @PapaFoxtrot....if you can juggle FB while getting a Tech diploma in 3 years or so it doesn't seem like grad school would be much of a leap. Am I wrong about this?
I got an MS in Statistics just after undergrad. Most of the coursework wasn’t any harder than the undergrad work, and honestly just built on a lot of concepts I had already learned. But I did have to take two PhD level math courses that were easily the two most challenging classes I encountered during all of my studies. These classes assumed a background in math that I had simply never been exposed to, which made them basically impossible. I worked hard and somehow passed with a curved B in each, but honestly I’m not sure how given how poorly I performed on the exams.

Generally speaking I think those that choose grad school are likely to succeed, as you’re already likely someone who knows how to work hard to achieve success.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I got an MS in Statistics just after undergrad. Most of the coursework wasn’t any harder than the undergrad work, and honestly just built on a lot of concepts I had already learned. But I did have to take two PhD level math courses that were easily the two most challenging classes I encountered during all of my studies. These classes assumed a background in math that I had simply never been exposed to, which made them basically impossible. I worked hard and somehow passed with a curved B in each, but honestly I’m not sure how given how poorly I performed on the exams.

Generally speaking I think those that choose grad school are likely to succeed, as you’re already likely someone who knows how to work hard to achieve success.
My grad degree happened with a family, including a new baby and a working wife, and a full time job. I look back now and realize I managed time so much better back then and that I was also “hungry.” Still marvel at the work load given that laziness has always come naturally to me.

A lot of these guys are far better equipped than me.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My grad degree happened with a family, including a new baby and a working wife, and a full time job. I look back now and realize I managed time so much better back then and that I was also “hungry.” Still marvel at the work load given that laziness has always come naturally to me.

The external issues (according to my peers who pursued the MBA after entering the work force) were the difficulties and not so much the academic work. All of my peers felt like the course work was actually easier than the undergrad work. Of course, their masters were NOT in the same discipline as their undergrad which might have altered their perceptions to a degree. All went from engineering to business. What was your experience in terms of academic difficulty when comparing master's level work to undergrad?

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
This is pure pure speculation but if it’s a transfer it wouldn’t make third-party news unless it was a 4* or above prospect. I would expect us not to take a QB and probably not a WR given the WR room is crowded. The highest rated guy who fits that bill is AJ Harris, a high school 5*/current 4* that we offered in 2021 and played mop-up duty at CB for UGA last year.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Chances are we will net out as zero loss/zero gain once this transferring has all played out. We should certainly be able to replace that which we have lost with, at least, comparable talent if not a slight upgrade.

Fingers crossed.
I agree with you. But feel I am slightly more optimistic that we will have a noticeable Net Gain. IMO, we have an upward trend that is attracting better talent than we have experienced in quite a while. Specifically NFL calibre talent.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
This is pure pure speculation but if it’s a transfer it wouldn’t make third-party news unless it was a 4* or above prospect. I would expect us not to take a QB and probably not a WR given the WR room is crowded. The highest rated guy who fits that bill is AJ Harris, a high school 5*/current 4* that we offered in 2021 and played mop-up duty at CB for UGA last year.
Could be a DC announcement

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer

It's almost as though the president of Harvard is writing about me.......

jimmy fallon today i learned GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Keion White type of DE. He's going to be a popular portal target:

I don’t know about this particular player but I think we’re going to see quite a number of these kinds of players entering the portal now that the first round has happened and a bunch of the bowls have been played and the landscape of who needs what has been taking shape. Just a hunch. Nothing to back it up.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know about this particular player but I think we’re going to see quite a number of these kinds of players entering the portal now that the first round has happened and a bunch of the bowls have been played and the landscape of who needs what has been taking shape. Just a hunch. Nothing to back it up.
The first round of what?

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
The external issues (according to my peers who pursued the MBA after entering the work force) were the difficulties and not so much the academic work. All of my peers felt like the course work was actually easier than the undergrad work. Of course, their masters were NOT in the same discipline as their undergrad which might have altered their perceptions to a degree. All went from engineering to business. What was your experience in terms of academic difficulty when comparing master's level work to undergrad?
There’s no doubt external issues present challenges, but that wasn’t what I was referring to. I’m good at math/science so I could figure stuff out during tests at Tech. You can’t figure figure business/marketing stuff out. I also had a few classes where >50% of your grade came from class participation. You had to be extremely well prepared coming to class and then you had to be able to give “masters level” interpretations of the case studies. For me, there was no winging it.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There’s no doubt external issues present challenges, but that wasn’t what I was referring to. I’m good at math/science so I could figure stuff out during tests at Tech. You can’t figure figure business/marketing stuff out. I also had a few classes where >50% of your grade came from class participation. You had to be extremely well prepared coming to class and then you had to be able to give “masters level” interpretations of the case studies. For me, there was no winging it.

great perspective and thanks for your responses. I totally get what you are saying about the math/science. The type of learning that was totally (or mostly) dependent upon memorization and recall was not my cup of tea. Law or medicine or history was NOT in my future and I knew that even as a teen.