Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think the numbers involved are minimal(2-3/yr) while the impact on the FB team is significant. I'm clueless regarding the internal issues PAC faces, but I think it's a worthwhile trade-off. When an athlete can graduate in 3-4 years, it's pretty obvious that they can put in the work.

This is off-topic but I am wondering (from those of you who have master's degrees) just how much more difficult grad school is than undergrad. In my former life, i worked with a number of engineers (not all from Tech) who got MBA's from Ga. State in the evenings. To a person, they all said the undergrad work was much more difficult. What made the evening MBA program challenging was doing it while also working, having a wife/kids and taking care of their household responsibilities.

I agree with @PapaFoxtrot....if you can juggle FB while getting a Tech diploma in 3 years or so it doesn't seem like grad school would be much of a leap. Am I wrong about this?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is off-topic but I am wondering (from those of you who have master's degrees) just how much more difficult grad school is than undergrad. In my former life, i worked with a number of engineers (not all from Tech) who got MBA's from Ga. State in the evenings. To a person, they all said the undergrad work was much more difficult. What made the evening MBA program challenging was doing it while also working, having a wife/kids and taking care of their household responsibilities.

I agree with @PapaFoxtrot....if you can juggle FB while getting a Tech diploma in 3 years or so it doesn't seem like grad school would be much of a leap. Am I wrong about this?
A gt degree is for Fortune 500 job path. A gt degree and masters is that same path squared.

I had chance at masters in MEx, but wanted to stop using my slide rule at work. Loved me some Rotc, Army, Exxon, own a business. Tech education was very useful

FOR ATHLETES AND ANY TECH GRAD , we need create more diverse curriculum by combining with ga state and emory. Perhaps we could blend this with the entrepreneur effort on 5th street campus.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

Both of my grad degrees were much more rigorous in the reading department and the writing was far more extensive. Conceptually though, my undergrad at Tech was far more difficult.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
All that makes some sense for running backs, but I wonder how many out of high school are thinking about saving themselves for the NFL by sitting on the bench a couple of years. And if they crack the lineup sometime in their freshman season, they could likely be ready to declare for the draft by the time they're juniors. Another thing too many of them aren't considering is how many players wasted away on the bench at Alabama and never got a shot while they could be starting right away, or at least by year two, at Georgia Tech, and therefore have a much better chance here than there. The absolute only upside to going to Alabama over Tech for most of these players is supposedly better coaching they might get there as opposed to here. That would certainly have been true during the Collins years, but not so much now in the Key era.

I think the bottom line is they want to go to a winner. Personally, I would rather go somewhere I could make them into a winner, but that's just me. Most of these prospects are apparently not thinking in that direction.
They want to play for championships.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

MSEE was easier but by then I had figured out how to budget my time and how to study. I also took fewer hours per quarter.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Kiffin is very good at identifying programs with good players and weak coaching culture. He goes after the proverbial low hanging fruit. Under TFG, that's what we were. He's not going to waste his time targeting us now. He'd rather focus on the disfunctional programs, and we aren't that any more.
My comment has more to do with the facts that Kuffin complains about a system that he is abusing to his advantage.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

The MBA program is not harder or easier than the BSBA program. It is just a lot more selective in who they admit into the program

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I seriously doubt GT is going to change the admissions qualifications of the MBA program for football players. They are trying to position it as a top 10 program.
Truth.

Haynes King graduated from Texas A&M with a Business degree. He is in an Undergrad Program at GT. Can GT players go for a 2nd Undergrad Degree and play additional years?

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck

Not a business degree, but GT undergrad was by far more difficult. While grad content is more advanced, they're not trying to weed you out anymore. You're a proven commodity, and it was a lot more like a job.

Shoot, in many ways GT undergrad is more demanding than my actual career.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
C9B5C9C4-1A70-483C-95C3-16B424A658A1.jpeg

What could it be?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
GT Bachelor engineering degree was more difficult because of the diversity of classes and grading. (Younger, bad decisions)

GT MS engineering: curriculum much more difficult, grading much friendlier. (Older, more mature)

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
I think certain athletes can get through Tech without any serious issues in terms of curriculum difficulty. I’ve known some people that have gotten through tech that… and I’m trying not to really go there… but… were not “all there” and got through tech… there has to be an end to this over and over excuse here.

The president of the Institute is committed to making Tech a top-tier academic and athletic destination. Time for everyone to engineer a new business plan to keep Tech in the new world of “college” athletics. I mean, college football…

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow

I thought Ga State MBA was more difficult than Tech BIE. I certainly studied more, prepped more, and actually went to the classes for the MBA program. Granted, my grades were better in grad school, but if you compare (GPA)/(level of effort), grad school was significantly harder.