Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
The next two days are early signing day(s) — Wednesday December 20 - Friday December 22. We have players going into the portal before Signing Day.

Some of these players may be getting time in the bowl game. No way for me to really know. Some are on the depth chart.

Key said that bowl practice would give a lot of younger players lower on the depth chart more practice reps. Some of them are entering the portal. They aren’t players that other schools would have a lot of film on. Someone might guess that a diamond in the rough would be noticed and asked to stay.

We have about 15 players in the portal.
I just want to see some D-linemen (especially defensive tackle and noseguard) getting signed. We may be ok for next year, but our future DL depth is looking to be seriously compromised

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The next two days are early signing day(s) — Wednesday December 20 - Friday December 22. We have players going into the portal before Signing Day.

Some of these players may be getting time in the bowl game. No way for me to really know. Some are on the depth chart.

Key said that bowl practice would give a lot of younger players lower on the depth chart more practice reps. Some of them are entering the portal. They aren’t players that other schools would have a lot of film on. Someone might guess that a diamond in the rough would be noticed and asked to stay.

We have about 15 players in the portal.
Seems to me it would potentially be to a portal entry's benefit to showcase his abilities to prospective transfer destinations and NIL benefactors in the bowl game.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Seems to me it would potentially be to a portal entry's benefit to showcase his abilities to prospective transfer destinations and NIL benefactors in the bowl game.
That would assume that the player is going to get snaps in the bowl game. It’s not out of the question that Brent may have told these players that they aren’t where he wanted them to be at this point in their development and that if they continue on this trajectory then they aren’t likely to play much in their time at Tech.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That would assume that the player is going to get snaps in the bowl game. It’s not out of the question that Brent may have told these players that they aren’t where he wanted them to be at this point in their development and that if they continue on this trajectory then they aren’t likely to play much in their time at Tech.
I understand most would not get a benefit for being available to the bowl game. But some might, especially those already getting playing time, or expected to get some meaningful snaps.
Of course, their participation would also depend on the considerations of the coach.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Seems like a depth guy. I will be surprised if he starts.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
Barton seems to be a stout run defender with big long strong arms plays pretty clean techniques. He's got a little pass rush ability but not his bread and butter if he's one of guy that should be able to come in and contribute and be a good piece for DL.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Seems like a depth guy. I will be surprised if he starts.

That's aiight. Championship teams need depth...

Proud Animation GIF by Mashed

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Y’all remember 2014 when we had like only 3 DTs Gotsis, Green and Gamble worth playing? Worked out pretty good for us, though got a little worrying at end of season. Gotta play guys that can make an impact, otherwise just base out of a 3 down line and only use 1 DT.

supertech1984

Georgia Tech Fan
Honestly, besides Kennard, it seems like most of these guys weren't up to the level to get significant playing time or to be a factor in the future. Paul Johnson's model was, "if we miss on a guy, that's on us so we will honor their scholarship". Brent Key's approach is much more, "Scholarships are year to year". There are so many places for these kids to drop down to and get good playing time with no penalty, why not? If they get Georgia Tech quality, I assume they can come back or go anywhere they want (which they could do anyway) but we aren't wasting a scholarship and they're not going to practice day in and out with no chance to ever play on Saturdays. I wonder if Kennard was academics or family related. That is the one I don't get.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, besides Kennard, it seems like most of these guys weren't up to the level to get significant playing time or to be a factor in the future. Paul Johnson's model was, "if we miss on a guy, that's on us so we will honor their scholarship". Brent Key's approach is much more, "Scholarships are year to year". There are so many places for these kids to drop down to and get good playing time with no penalty, why not? If they get Georgia Tech quality, I assume they can come back or go anywhere they want (which they could do anyway) but we aren't wasting a scholarship and they're not going to practice day in and out with no chance to ever play on Saturdays. I wonder if Kennard was academics or family related. That is the one I don't get.
Kennard graduated

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan

Well, that clarifies the scholarship question I was wondering about; whether or not the grant-in-aid was at the coach's or athlete's discretion.

If you really wanted to be an engineer and you aren't starting but 'above the line', which is more important. More playing time at a FCS school or the BSME from GT?

I know that not not all (maybe most) players aren't here for the academic rigors, but they may be passing up a great opportunity.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Chances are we will net out as zero loss/zero gain once this transferring has all played out. We should certainly be able to replace that which we have lost with, at least, comparable talent if not a slight upgrade.

Fingers crossed.