Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
They don't do that look to your left/right thing anymore even with regular students. The school has made a very concerted effort to get away from being known as someplace most people don't survive, academically speaking.
Agreed, just acknowledging that easier doesn't necessarily mean easy. Athletics and academics is a tough combo. Not for everyone at a place like Ma Tech, soft as she may be as she ages.....

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
And the “water boarding” has ended as well 😳
Ahhh, freshman orientation. Those were the halcyon days.

roddy piper wrestling GIF by WWE

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I think we have lost six players from the defensive line. One of which was a starter. The others were mostly Freshman who were being developed. Losing a bunch of Freshman before they have developed enough to play may seem inconsequential, but we are not good or deep enough to handle that attrition. For a defense whose line play was awful, we better pull in a lot of quality depth or else our defense will be in big trouble next year.
I'm not sure you understood my main point. I wasn't saying whether the losses are consequential or inconsequential. In fact I actually said I had high hopes for all of them. What I was reflecting on was that it is better for both them and us if they are unhappy for them to leave and for our coaches to move on and find other guys who do want to be here.

I have gotten to a place where I'm not going to be upset about those kids who don't feel like they are getting what they want at GT and choose to go elsewhere, especially if they haven't done anything on the field, yet. That doesn't mean that I think they won't do anything anywhere else. It just means that my reaction is to just let them and any emotions I might have about their departures go.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Who are our top remaining targets in the portal ? What position groups on our team had the largest the talent deficit? In my opinion it’s DL and LB position groups.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Jason Moore was listed as 3rd string and Reuben wasn't on the depth chart. I don't like losing several from one position group, but these guys likely weren't seeing the field next year. At DL we have Sylvain (SR 2024), Scott (SR), Kelly (JR), and Harris (SR) returning at DE, and Biggers (SR), Lockett (SO), Douse (SR), and Jones (SO) at DT. Yes, we need to add to those numbers, as we lose a bunch to graduation in 2024, but the first order of business is another year of experience and S&C for those guys.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
will we have enough DL for our bowl game? So many have transferred out. Realize 2024 is more important but hoped we would be competitive for the bowl. Also have to wonder if Coleman is going to be let go after the bowl game and signing day with these many departures.
Harris is listed as a de with no back up.
Key matbe be biting bullet because he is going to hire a real dc.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Jason Moore was listed as 3rd string and Reuben wasn't on the depth chart. I don't like losing several from one position group, but these guys likely weren't seeing the field next year. At DL we have Sylvain (SR 2024), Scott (SR), Kelly (JR), and Harris (SR) returning at DE, and Biggers (SR), Lockett (SO), Douse (SR), and Jones (SO) at DT. Yes, we need to add to those numbers, as we lose a bunch to graduation in 2024, but the first order of business is another year of experience and S&C for those guys.
We also have Noah Collins and Robinson returning as far as I know.

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
With all due respect to everyone on this thread, why has the outlook on our transfer situation changed at all? We've lost two starters, but we knew both of them were going in on day 1. That means people on here are getting worried because *checks notes* our fourth-string defensive linemen, third-string offensive linemen, and low three-star freshmen are leaving? I wish all of these kids the best of luck, but watch where they end up committing — the vast majority of them will transfer down a level.

Relax.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
With all due respect to everyone on this thread, why has the outlook on our transfer situation changed at all? We've lost two starters, but we knew both of them were going in on day 1. That means people on here are getting worried because *checks notes* our fourth-string defensive linemen, third-string offensive linemen, and low three-star freshmen are leaving? I wish all of these kids the best of luck, but watch where they end up committing — the vast majority of them will transfer down a level.

Relax.
Well said Buck ! It's the state of CFB today ( unfortunately:yuck:) but I feel we are more than holding our own.............so far. (y)

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
So, are we feeling positive or negative about our transfer portal situation at this point?

Are we better off than we were before?
I think, at this point, we are slightly better off. IMO, we added two starters- Gibbs and Rutledge, without losing any starters. And we have added depth at DB, LB and TE.
Granted, we need more D depth, but overall we are doing okay. Most teams , except those that are loaded every year, are feeling a bit of concern right now.

slugboy

Staff member
The next two days are early signing day(s) — Wednesday December 20 - Friday December 22. We have players going into the portal before Signing Day.

Some of these players may be getting time in the bowl game. No way for me to really know. Some are on the depth chart.

Key said that bowl practice would give a lot of younger players lower on the depth chart more practice reps. Some of them are entering the portal. They aren’t players that other schools would have a lot of film on. Someone might guess that a diamond in the rough would be noticed and asked to stay.

We have about 15 players in the portal.