Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
The OL transfers probably have much to do about where they were in the pecking order on current Depth charts and the good prospects who committed in past 2 recruiting cycles and maybe even reading tea leaves on just how improved the recruiting for OL maybe moving toward and figured better move on now then later. The DL like the LB stuff is simple I suspect GT is going hard for some fresh blood to come in and contribute for what was pretty weak units and some of the guys know if they didn't get much PT last year when they need anybody who could make a impact show it and get in there that they definitely won't if GT is targeting guys to immediately add to main rotation.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I saw where Zach Gibson graduated this semester. Haven't seen whether he stays or hits the portal. With 2 freshmen QB's coming in, I would think he would transfer if he wants to play. I believe he has one more year of eligibility.

slugboy

Staff member
I saw where Zach Gibson graduated this semester. Haven't seen whether he stays or hits the portal. With 2 freshmen QB's coming in, I would think he would transfer if he wants to play. I believe he has one more year of eligibility.
As I understand it, Zach Gibson transferred here to learn to be a coach. I’ve never talked to him, but it’s possible that he was as surprised as we were to be playing against UVA (all the other QBs had more “stars” than he did). He’s probably learned what he’s going to learn. I hope he experienced what he needed to here and is a proud alum.

——

As for the other transfers out, the general sense is that we’re doing much better than in years past, and we have good recruiting and transfers in. Our class ranking may not be top 20, but it’s solid and it addresses our needs. We still need difference makers at a number of positions.

We’re going to lose players off the roster—either to the portal or just to get under the roster limits. The transfer portal can be a bad omen, but it’s also a fact of life—for us, for Oregon, for Ohio State, for everyone.

So far—knock wood—we seem to be doing OK. Some days won’t be OK, and we should be ready for that. If we’re lucky, some days will be great

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Appear to be a lot more transfer going out than coming in. In particular, the DL transfering out hurt us in 2023 and looks to be on the way to hurt us in 2024. Hopefully there are a lot transfer in to backfill.
The portal giveth and the portal taketh away.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Appear to be a lot more transfer going out than coming in. In particular, the DL transfering out hurt us in 2023 and looks to be on the way to hurt us in 2024. Hopefully there are a lot transfer in to backfill.
At this point in the process, we should expect that for a couple of reasons:

1. Except in cases of obvious tampering, there will be some delay (days - weeks) from the time someone declares they are going in, to the time when they get evaluated and picked up. So, early on, there will always be more outbound than inbound overall.

2. I don't recall the exact number, but every year a large percentage of outbound portalers don't find homes. They get replaced by a combo of inbound portalers and high school recruits.

slugboy

Staff member
At this point in the process, we should expect that for a couple of reasons:

1. Except in cases of obvious tampering, there will be some delay (days - weeks) from the time someone declares they are going in, to the time when they get evaluated and picked up. So, early on, there will always be more outbound than inbound overall.

2. I don't recall the exact number, but every year a large percentage of outbound portalers don't find homes. They get replaced by a combo of inbound portalers and high school recruits.
I just read this in the Athletic
89% of P5 transfers end up somewhere
42% stay in P5
34% sign G5
11% go FCS
2% are JUCO or other
11% are unsigned

Our numbers seem to be lower—fewer of our transfers find a P5 home.

FBS teams tend to lose 18-19 players on average to the portal per season

If your team has 10 or less outgoing transfers, that’s extraordinary stability

Until just now, we had more players than scholarships