Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Does the "official" number of Athletic scholarships really matter anymore these days?

Could we not have 120 guys, 85 on Athletic scholarship, and the other 35 on full scholarships (+ additional perks) funded via the millions from the Competitive Drive and the Athletic Scholarship Fund?
No. If the scholarship is funded through the Athletic Department, it counts towards the 85.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Does the "official" number of Athletic scholarships really matter anymore these days?

Could we not have 120 guys, 85 on Athletic scholarship, and the other 35 on full scholarships (+ additional perks) funded via the millions from the Competitive Drive and the Athletic Scholarship Fund?
I am curious as to why some of the kids with larger NIL would even need to be on scholarship. Could they not be PWO's?

We may not be in a position for that but take Caleb Williams for example, he is making 6 if not 7 figures from NIL.

It would seem to be a better for the team if the top guys could pay their own way to get some better support players on scholarship.

buzzn3

Georgia Tech Fan
I am curious as to why some of the kids with larger NIL would even need to be on scholarship. Could they not be PWO's?

We may not be in a position for that but take Caleb Williams for example, he is making 6 if not 7 figures from NIL.

It would seem to be a better for the team if the top guys could pay their own way to get some better support players on scholarship.
Right, all this additional cash flow seems like it should make scholarship numbers a moot point, and therefore less of a concern how many you're offering through high school or the portal. Sure, maybe they're not one of the 85 scholarship players, but if they're getting the same, if not more, money from somewhere else, is there any other rule limiting team sizes?

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Right, all this additional cash flow seems like it should make scholarship numbers a moot point, and therefore less of a concern how many you're offering through high school or the portal. Sure, maybe they're not one of the 85 scholarship players, but if they're getting the same, if not more, money from somewhere else, is there any other rule limiting team sizes?
The max number of players on the roster is 105 of which 85 can be on scholarship.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The max number of players on the roster is 105 of which 85 can be on scholarship.
I think we all know that. The question is can i go get 20; none on scholarship; pay them so much in NIL that it pays for their school plus extra defacto now i have 105 ship worthy players

This is a seriously good idea if u have the pockets

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we all know that. The question is can i go get 20; none on scholarship; pay them so much in NIL that it pays for their school plus extra defacto now i have 105 ship worthy players

I've always had that sort of question, especially for in state guys who might qualify for the Zell or Hope Scholarships. For those guys very little NIL would be necessary to effectively match a full athletic scholarship.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Looks like we're gonna need all the DB help we can get.

He posted all time low numbers this year without Jamey Chadwell. Ironically, some of us didn't want Chadwell because they thought Grayson McCall carried the offense for Chadwell at Coastal Carolina. Chadwell moved on and developed another impressive QB, while McCall struggled.

I don't think McCall will be as good for NC State as he was for Coastal under Chadwell.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Players we are in the top 2 for on the On3 Portal 12/13. This includes players that have already committed to us.

Person who made this list- is there an accessible (free) webpage with a list of people trending towards tech? If not, how did you gather all these dudes?
@Billygoat91

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

I suspect the NCAAs position on that, not that they’re right or wrong, would be that the NIL would definitely equate to pay for play rather than the smokescreen of the scholarship being what they get to play and any NIL being for Name, Image, and Likeness. And of course we all know that’s BS but that’s my guess.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I like that we are discussing rules like they actually matter or that there is a governing body out there that enforces them. We are the type that still hold doors open for the ladies and call them "ma'am" and talk about "getting out" while the rest of the world has moved on. I am reminded of the Bocephus line..."we say grace and we say ma'am, and if you ain't into that well we don't give a damn" or wtte.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Caleb Williams has special talent. No doubt there.

Of course, the NFL is littered with guys with "special talent" that never made it because of holes in their game or off the field isssues. People forget how "once in a generation" talented Johnny Manziel was coming out of college. He also played in a similar offense in college that Williams did. I also think Manziel's off the field issues were far worse than anything Williams is being accused of. However, it's an example of the old saying: Caveat Emptor.

I'm not saying Caleb Williams won't make it in the NFL, he's young and if he does the work required, his talents will shine. Someone will take a chance on him because Williams is so talented. It doesn't change the fact that there are concerns about him, and some of the GMs will grade the other QBs higher. The Bears, who are projected with the #1 overall pick, recently spent a #1 pick on Justin Fields. If they pick another QB this year, they'll be much more conservative in picking another one. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Comparing Manzel to Williams is a false equivalency, Very few teams viewed him as a first round talent. Of course tone of the most inept franchises, The Browns did. Look at the other QB they chose in the first round 10 or so years before and after Jonny $$.

Virtually all analysts currently view Williams as a High First round draft choice. Will he become an All Pro? That depends as much on what tea drafts him as how he works himself. More QB are ruined by NFL teams than are made by NFL teams.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Comparing Manzel to Williams is a false equivalency, Very few teams viewed him as a first round talent. Of course tone of the most inept franchises, The Browns did. Look at the other QB they chose in the first round 10 or so years before and after Jonny $$.

Virtually all analysts currently view Williams as a High First round draft choice. Will he become an All Pro? That depends as much on what tea drafts him as how he works himself. More QB are ruined by NFL teams than are made by NFL teams.

Let's let past draft articles decide that instead of memory from almost 10 years ago:

Last edited:

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Players we are in the top 2 for on the On3 Portal 12/13. This includes players that have already committed to us.

I'd really love to get French, Dotson, Okunlola, and Horton. They should be the priorities.