Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

Buzzforlife

Jolly Good Fellow
1st Team All-SunBelt Zach Horton of the JMU Dukes, has a GT offer. Plays DE, and is close to committing. Officially has been in the Transfer Portal for 9 days.

bearla96

Georgia Tech Fan
Can someone post the players with on3 transfer portal predictions for Georgia Tech? I tried finding it this morning but had no luck.

Bleedwhiteandgold

Georgia Tech Fan
Maye may not even be the top QB taken.

I think Caleb Williams is a great talent, but I was watching film breaking down his ability to dissect defenses in the passing game, and he has serious issues there. He masks it with his ability to improvise when the defense breaks down, but that's not a luxury afforded to NFL QBs. In fact, it was pointed out that it's not necessarily on all on Caleb Williams, a lot of it has to do with how Lincoln Riley develops his QBs. It's a great college offense that helps QBs put up huge numbers, but it's not necessarily the system for developing NFL level QBs. Look at the QBs under Riley that are currently in the NFL: Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, and Jalen Hurts. Only Murry and Mayfield are "true" Riley QBs. Hurts played under Kiffen, O'Brien, and Sarkisian before playing under Riley for 1 season. All three of those coaches are known to develop QBs. Murray and Mayfield are both mediocre QBs at the NFL level, and both QBs had the same issues as Williams early in their career in regards to processing defenses. Murray is pretty much on his way out of Arizona, and Mayfield is bouncing around the NFL.

Add to that, all the off field issues with Williams ("I'm not playing for certain teams if they draft me", "I want ownership interest in any team that wants me to play for them", post game issues with maturity).

Right now, the group of top tier draftable QBs is pretty deep. Williams (USC), Maye (UNC), Bo Nix (Oregon), Jayden Daniels (LSU), Michael Penix (Washington), and Dylan Leonard (Duke) if he opts for the NFL. Given amount of high level QB talent, it's hard for me to see Williams as the top QB given the holes in his passing game, and his self inflicted off the field issues.
NFL Scouts are drooling over Caleb Williams. Those guys you listed are great for comparison types, but please don't count Caleb out because that kid can do things the other QBs in the draft cannot. His arm talent, his ability to place balls in tight windows with pinpoint accuracy, and his ability to extend the play (no other like him in the DRAFT) alone are why he will be #1.

Does this mean he will be the best pick based on on field performance next year? No. I mean look at Bryce Young this year with Carolina, hes struggled while CJ Stroud is most likely rookie of the year. Does this mean Bryce will be another Kyler or Baker? No, sometimes QBs need time to adjust to the speed of the NFL. Time will tell.......

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn't know that. That's a tiny school, isn't it?
2A squad, but they've been a quarter final regular for a while now. Currently the #2 OT in 2025 Josh Petty is at Fellowship. Kid's a beast. Tech is rated second most likely to land him behind Tennessee. They've also got some other D1 hopeful receivers and DBs, some of whom have Tech offers. I'd imagine McFarlin's connection is the primary reason for us being 'in' on those kids.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
NFL Scouts are drooling over Caleb Williams. Those guys you listed are great for comparison types, but please don't count Caleb out because that kid can do things the other QBs in the draft cannot. His arm talent, his ability to place balls in tight windows with pinpoint accuracy, and his ability to extend the play (no other like him in the DRAFT) alone are why he will be #1.

Does this mean he will be the best pick based on on field performance next year? No. I mean look at Bryce Young this year with Carolina, hes struggled while CJ Stroud is most likely rookie of the year. Does this mean Bryce will be another Kyler or Baker? No, sometimes QBs need time to adjust to the speed of the NFL. Time will tell.......

I agree. Caleb Williams has special talent. No doubt there.

Of course, the NFL is littered with guys with "special talent" that never made it because of holes in their game or off the field isssues. People forget how "once in a generation" talented Johnny Manziel was coming out of college. He also played in a similar offense in college that Williams did. I also think Manziel's off the field issues were far worse than anything Williams is being accused of. However, it's an example of the old saying: Caveat Emptor.

I'm not saying Caleb Williams won't make it in the NFL, he's young and if he does the work required, his talents will shine. Someone will take a chance on him because Williams is so talented. It doesn't change the fact that there are concerns about him, and some of the GMs will grade the other QBs higher. The Bears, who are projected with the #1 overall pick, recently spent a #1 pick on Justin Fields. If they pick another QB this year, they'll be much more conservative in picking another one. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Bleedwhiteandgold

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree. Caleb Williams has special talent. No doubt there.

Of course, the NFL is littered with guys with "special talent" that never made it because of holes in their game or off the field isssues. People forget how "once in a generation" talented Johnny Manziel was coming out of college. He also played in a similar offense in college that Williams did. I also think Manziel's off the field issues were far worse than anything Williams is being accused of. However, it's an example of the old saying: Caveat Emptor.

I'm not saying Caleb Williams won't make it in the NFL, he's young and if he does the work required, his talents will shine. Someone will take a chance on him because Williams is so talented. It doesn't change the fact that there are concerns about him, and some of the GMs will grade the other QBs higher. The Bears, who are projected with the #1 overall pick, recently spent a #1 pick on Justin Fields. If they pick another QB this year, they'll be much more conservative in picking another one. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Agree with your thoughts here. There is definite concerns NFL Teams need to take into consideration w/ Caleb. I think he has a premadonna attitude too that can be toxic at times. I do feel that Drake might make a better QB in the NFL, but he just won't be taken higher than Caleb with what I see today. Lets see how this all plays out, it'll be interesting for sure.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Players we are in the top 2 for on the On3 Portal 12/13. This includes players that have already committed to us.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Players we are in the top 2 for on the On3 Portal 12/13. This includes players that have already committed to us.

Thanks billygoat. Interesting list. Love the emphasis on D. That's where we need the most help.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks billygoat. Interesting list. Love the emphasis on D. That's where we need the most help.
I kinda hope we get Mews. He looked explosive on punt returns this year for uGA. Would be a solid back up to Rutherford/Singleton with a similar skill set to those guys.