Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
He didn't make a rational decision not to fund the NIL collective - he decided to cancel it...after supporting it...because he was mad that some graduate players decided to go elsewhere. Yeah...I'm judging the hell outta that.

If a fan chooses not to help fund the NIL collective, that's their choice. Given this choice said fan has made, this fan probably shouldn't be commenting on anything related to the transfer portal as said fan is part of the problem.

Sticking your head in the sand won't make it go away...neither will refusing to support the program.
He said he was going to give to GTAA instead. Does that not help the program? Asking for a friend.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The players are on one-year scholarships, therefore not breaking a contract. I do not think you’re on to something. Except somehow sounding simultaneously unintelligent and condescending.
Your post compared players to coaches as if they were remotely similar. Further, you suggested the sames rules should apply to each. Who exactly is unintelligent?

Last edited:

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Reading Joe Burrow’s story at LSU, he took online courses and did the bare minimum to get credits—he was only taking and doing the bare minimum to be eligible. He didn’t meet another student outside of the athletic program until after he got drafted, because he wanted to see what LSU was.

There are a lot of hazards with this approach:

If your university has a lacrosse campus, and you’re the lacrosse English professor, you’re under a lot more pressure to pass everyone—your job is tied to the success of the lacrosse program.

If you look at UNC’s African American Studies program, it was OK for athletes to have a “show up and get an A” program because it was available to the entire student body. Since athletes registered first, there was an entire degree program of automatic A’s and annual academic progress that was OK with the NCAA. If it’s “we have a campus for our Lacrosse team, and we bring a section of our basket weaving class there” then it’s further acceleration of UNC’s bogus academics.

There are players at Michigan State and other programs where many or all of their courses are online. This is more common—my son has online sections for some courses. Even when I was a student, there were the rumors of someone taking a class or test for another student or turning in work for another student—when courses are online, it’s even easier to cheat like this.

Sure, if the instruction is legitimate, it’s a more convenient way to learn for the athletes. And, for some schools, it will be that way. Similarly, subsidiaries are a completely legitimate business structure—but when you want to enable illicit activities, you put it in a separate set of books. If you move student athletes out of the mainstream—if they don’t mix with traditional students and professors—you give your institution a way to cover up mass cheating—or even just change the standards. If you have a separate section with a separate prof for math, the tests and homework could be substantially different. Are the accreditation people even looking at those sections in any detail? Even if they are, do you just spruce up that section for the one time every few years that someone looks?
Regarding Joe Burrow example - Doing the bare minimum to earn enough credits to maintain eligibility isn’t cheating.

Secondly, I took issue with your remote campus comment. I think there is a difference between “on-line” and “remote campus"

Lastly, I somewhat disagree with your English professor for the lacrosse team hypothetical. Is there potential for cheating, yes, but I think the higher probability is that the SA is given more latitude and more instruction to ensure they pass (versus just giving them a grade). That type of treatment is definitely different than a normal student gets, but I don’t have a problem with that. Universities place more demand on the college athletes' time than the general student body.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
You got me. Please tell your friend that I misspoke - the program I was referring to was the NIL collective, not the GTAA. Sorry, I'll try to be more concise in the future.
No worries.

i just do not think we need to be so contentious (ironic, coming from me, amirite) with our own fans who are willing to give any of their money to Tech sports regardless of where it is directed.

Let me be more direct...

I refuse to give to the Tech Way or any NIL fund. That is not how I wish my money to be spent. I give to the GTAA instead. I also try to direct my money towards non revenue sports or to the general scholarship fund. I realize it is all fungible but it gives me better peace of mind that I am limiting my support of this mishigos.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Regarding Joe Burrow example - Doing the bare minimum to earn enough credits to maintain eligibility isn’t cheating.

Secondly, I took issue with your remote campus comment. I think there is a difference between “on-line” and “remote campus"

Lastly, I somewhat disagree with your English professor for the lacrosse team hypothetical. Is there potential for cheating, yes, but I think the higher probability is that the SA is given more latitude and more instruction to ensure they pass (versus just giving them a grade). That type of treatment is definitely different than a normal student gets, but I don’t have a problem with that. Universities place more demand on the college athletes' time than the general student body.
I have no issue with a remote campus as long as said campus does not have a varsity sports program itself.

slugboy

Staff member
Glad we don't have to worry about this. DJU and Dillon Gabriel are surprises.

A couple of those QBs lost their coaches, including DJU. Tyler Van Dyke was probably pushed to transfer.

Agree that the system gives the Wild West a bad name, but some of them have extenuating circumstances

Techster

Helluva Engineer
A couple of those QBs lost their coaches, including DJU. Tyler Van Dyke was probably pushed to transfer.

Agree that the system gives the Wild West a bad name, but some of them have extenuating circumstances

Agree. DJU and Gabriel are surprising because I'd figure as long as they've been in college, both would just move on to the NFL. Not sure their stock can get any higher than what it is now.

There's a rumor that Gabriel is going to Ohio State, which times with Kyle McCord entering the portal as well.

slugboy

Staff member
Agree. DJU and Gabriel are surprising because I'd figure as long as they've been in college, both would just move on to the NFL. Not sure their stock can get any higher than what it is now.

There's a rumor that Gabriel is going to Ohio State, which times with Kyle McCord entering the portal as well.
DJU is tentatively in the NFL draft. I think he really has one more year in CFB, then his career is over—maybe he moves to another position.

If I was a scout, I’d ask “he’s only done well with the one coach—is it the coach or is it DJ?”.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Glad we don't have to worry about this. DJU and Dillon Gabriel are surprises.

I wasn't surprised by DJU but Gabriel and McCord surprised me. And maybe that's just my ignorance but with McCord I'm not aware of a hotshot QB sitting in the wings at Ohio State so my assumption is that they have their eyes on someone in the transfer portal or that they "know" is entering the transfer portal. I think Cam Ward is probably a name they might like if that's the direction they are going in, at least of the names that are already known. Maybe there's someone we haven't heard, yet. I know McCord has taken a lot of the criticism for them not being in the CFP so maybe he just sees the writing on the wall and/or Day has let him know if he comes back that there will be an open competition and that he's going to bring in someone from the portal.

In doing a little more digging it looks like Gabriel, as good as he's been, could also be getting gently nudged out the door in favor of giving their frosh QB all-world prospect all the bowl practice to set him up for next year.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer

Gabriel will tear it up at tOSU if true.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
He said he was going to give to GTAA instead. Does that not help the program? Asking for a friend.
The GTAA funds the entire athletics program but the extend at which it fund the athleses is scholarships and the facilities around them. NIL is directly to the athletes and specifically its directly to the revenue athletes like football and basketball.

So the answer is Yes but with a asterisk.