Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The only reason Kiffen, Saban, Dabo whine about the portal and NIL is because it opened the door for every team to do what they have been doing under the table for years. They are just mad because they know other schools are about to step up once this initial transition phase passes. They know what is coming from schools with real money but weren’t in the NCAA’s protected class.

They see their protector (NCAA) is losing power while at the same time the $100 handshake is now legal. Of course, GT will never take advantage of the system because they never have since Dodd used men who got exempted from war to beat the brains out of others.

Let players come and go. Bash or don’t bash. Pay or don’t pay. It’s all just business. I love the sport of college football because the games are fun and upsets happen often. No other sport can match it, although while college hoops regular season sucks, March Madness is pretty awesome.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think you will see 20 to 30 players at every school enter the portal if for no other reason to test the waters. This is a way for them to find out their true market value to other schools, or perhaps to gain leverage at their current school to gain a better financial commitment. There is really no downside for the players. They can always withdraw and return to what they had previously. Eventually the schools will put together some methodology to place more control over this process. Right now, it is wide open and the wild wild west out there. Look for several more GT portal entries to take place in the next few weeks. No use burning calories worrying about this. It's just an evolving part of the modern game. it may eventually destroy the college game, but we won't know that for certain for a few more years.

Go Jackets!

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Just cancelled my “the Tech Way” membership. I’m not paying players to chase better opportunities. This system stinks and I’m fine contributing to Tharpe and Roll Call.
Just take your ball and go home.

This is so backwards. If you want Tech to be competitive in the portal, you should up your donation amount instead of cancel it. This is all about money...nothing else.

If kids are transferring for a grad degree elsewhere, then no amount of money would stop it anyways! So getting mad and cancelling your support does nothing good for the program.

seanfloyd18

Georgia Tech Fan
No need to bash Kyle or Kenan. As others have alluded to in prior posts, some of these are likely grad transfers leaving because either GT didn’t admit them into grad school or they didn’t like the grad program offering available at GT. It sucks but it’s probably better they leave now since the portal closes in January.
I was extremely excited by the sheer amount of 4th years with another year (or two) of eligibility for us (due to Covid).

The moment I saw Kenan and Kyle leave I remembered how hard it is to get into GT grad school. And how often we find ways to shoot ourselves in the foot.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think you will see 20 to 30 players at every school enter the portal if for no other reason to test the waters. This is a way for them to find out their true market value to other schools, or perhaps to gain leverage at their current school to gain a better financial commitment. There is really no downside for the players. They can always withdraw and return to what they had previously. Eventually the schools will put together some methodology to place more control over this process. Right now, it is wide open and the wild wild west out there. Look for several more GT portal entries to take place in the next few weeks. No use burning calories worrying about this. It's just an evolving part of the modern game. it may eventually destroy the college game, but we won't know that for certain for a few more years.

Go Jackets!
I agree except about the part of destroying the college game. GT and every other team will have 11 players on the field at all times (sometimes 10 or 12 as well). The game will be just fine. It’s us who simply have to change our thinking and realize that player turnover has gone from a 3-5 year cycle to a 1-2 year cycle. The coaches are the ones who will really see a change in their profession as now recruiting is a 365 day endeavor and they have to recruit their own 85 every year - let them earn those life altering contracts.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Just cancelled my “the Tech Way” membership. I’m not paying players to chase better opportunities. This system stinks and I’m fine contributing to Tharpe and Roll Call.
Sadly, there is going to be no middle ground, I’m afraid. Tech will either commit to play “Big Boy Football”, with NIL money buying the best players we can afford to try to keep up with the rest of the Big Boys, or we are going to play with the Less Than Big Boys, under the old “amateur” model. We, as a fanbase and as an institution, need to go all-in one way or another and not look back.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Just take your ball and go home.

This is so backwards. If you want Tech to be competitive in the portal, you should up your donation amount instead of cancel it. This is all about money...nothing else.

If kids are transferring for a grad degree elsewhere, then no amount of money would stop it anyways! So getting mad and cancelling your support does nothing good for the program.
LOL! Judgemental, aren't we. Who are you or anyone to say how someone should spend their money? If someone does not wish to give money to Tech Way, but to the school instead, how exactly is that bad for GT. We still have to fund coaches pay, operations costs and the scholarship fund.

Personally, I agree with the other font. I would rather my money go the school than to this madness of bribing players to transfer to or stay at Tech. The whole NIL has me questioning my participation in Tech sports and whether I wish to donate my money to a corrupt and lawless system.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Sadly, there is going to be no middle ground, I’m afraid. Tech will either commit to play “Big Boy Football”, with NIL money buying the best players we can afford to try to keep up with the rest of the Big Boys, or we are going to play with the Less Than Big Boys, under the old “amateur” model. We, as a fanbase and as an institution, need to go all-in one way or another and not look back.
I really dislike the term “big boy football.” It’s really “extortioners football.” Players leaving for more money, not a college degree. No loyalty at all in many cases, but certainly not all cases. I have no issue with players who have graduated moving on, though I would prefer, like Jaylon and Dontae, that they finish the drill where they are at. Also, if a player is buried and can get PT elsewhere, so be it, or if a coach leaves, I get that, too. There are certainly reasons to transfer, but jumping for the money should be strictly limited.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I think the current broken transfer process will remain broken until one of two things happen.
  • The NCAA wakes up and has the stones to reinstate their sit-out-a-year rule. Seems unlikely.
  • As long as the Bamas, ugas, Ohio States, etc. of the football world can work within the current system to maintain their dominance, they don’t need or want guardrails. But as soon as a non-blue-blood team simply buys a championship via transfers and NIL, the blue-bloods will scream bloody murder and get rule changes. I think that’s what it will take.

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NotreDame?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#NotreDame</a> tight end Holden Staes has announced his plans to enter the transfer portal.<br><br>He started eight of 11 games for the Irish this season and caught four touchdowns, including two in the win at <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NCState?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#NCState</a>.<br><br>📸: <a href="https://twitter.com/3RD13?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@3RD13</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/insideNDsports?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@insideNDsports</a> <br><br>Story: <a href="https://t.co/yrsTpCZAej">https://t.co/yrsTpCZAej</a> <a href="https://t.co/oh0H0yIebZ">pic.twitter.com/oh0H0yIebZ</a></p>&mdash; Charleston Bowles (@cbowles01) <a href="">December 1, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>