Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The system sucks. However, only TCU last year is an outlier for who has played for the College Football Championship in a long time. No outlier has ever won the Championship game.

GT is likely the last Outlier for an NC back in 1990.
Cincinnati?

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
It’s also ironic that a thread about “who do we need to Target in the portal this year?” turns into a thread bashing the portal. I’m like everyone else on here. Love GT, always have, but this is the worst part of the year for me as a fan.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The system sucks. However, only TCU last year is an outlier for who has played for the College Football Championship in a long time. No outlier has ever won the Championship game.

GT is likely the last Outlier for an NC back in 1990.
OK? I'll stick with the notion that fans all over are getting tired of it already.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
...On Oct 16th, I celebrated my 25th anniversary with the company I work for. I just hit 50 in January. I've spent half of my years on this planet working for one company. Clearly I didn't follow his advice. I started with this company after graduation and have enjoyed it every day since. I'm sure my dad was right and that I could have made a lot more money following his advice. Maybe could even be retired by now. But I have no regrets and have been able to fully support my wife and four kids on what I have made.
Understand 100%, 37 years so far at same company.
Probably could have made more, but I only had to move three times, all at my preference - not being forced, survived recessions, RIF, multiple buyouts, etc., all in part of the being one of the straws the stirs the drink. More kids got to practically grow up in one location (they were 6 and 4 when we moved back to Georgia). Some things in life are worth more than chasing money.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
OK, first off, there are 8 teams in the hunt for the CFP. That leaves aboit 120 or so to be disgruntled about it. Second, even Saban, Kiffen, Smart, and Swinney have made some level of negative comment on the practice. IMPO, it’s just not popular with anyone except the players.
I completely agree that there are a lot of have-nots and that the current system is not popular with very many. My point is that I think those in charge don't much care about what the have-nots think. I'm not even sure they care about what Saban, Kiffin, Smart, and Swinney think as long as the money is rolling in.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA could fix this but doesn't have the balls
1) Any player that goes in the portal with less than 3 full years at the school he signed to play for, said school that signs him must pay the school the player is coming from for all his tuition room meals everything for the time he was on scholarship.
2) Any player the goes in the portal to make more money with the NIL the school signing him must also pay said school that player leaves the SAME amount of money as the player is getting.
3) no school can sign more than 5 players a year from the portal.
I was thinking this exact thing last night but deleted my comment because I couldn't put it into words clearly. You put it elequently.

Players should sign some sort of contract locking them in when they sign that piece of paper. Otherwise these commitments mean nothing.

The new landscape makes it really hard to cheer for these boys sometimes. Week 3, when it was a fact that Singleton Jr. was special, my excitement was weighed down with worries of him getting poached after the season ends.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA could fix this but doesn't have the balls
1) Any player that goes in the portal with less than 3 full years at the school he signed to play for, said school that signs him must pay the school the player is coming from for all his tuition room meals everything for the time he was on scholarship.
2) Any player the goes in the portal to make more money with the NIL the school signing him must also pay said school that player leaves the SAME amount of money as the player is getting.
3) no school can sign more than 5 players a year from the portal.
I was thinking this exact thing last night but deleted my comment because I couldn't put it into words clearly. You put it elequently.

Players should sign some sort of contract locking them in when they sign that piece of paper. Otherwise these commitments mean nothing.

The new landscape makes it really hard to cheer for these boys sometimes. Week 3, when it was a fact that Singleton Jr. was special, my excitement was weighed down with worries of him getting poached after the season ends.
The NCAA could fix the portal problem without resorting to complex rules. Just reinstate the old sit-out-a-year rule. It was fixed (mostly), then they broke it.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
I don’t like it but honestly who the hell wouldn’t leave if you’ve got some SEC school knocking on your door saying I’m gonna pay you six figures to come to this school? I don’t blame the SAs just the system. Like they say don’t hate the player, hate the game.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Feel bad for Coach Key. He joined the coaching profession at the worst time. Must take the wind out their sails when they coach players up only to have them leave.

So far the only two leaving that fit that bill are graduates i think. Felix is not going to get PT behind jamal and dickens. Juju likely wasn't goign to crack the depth chart and hasn't after 2 years.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Venturing a bit off topic here, but this is probably where my problem comes from. When I graduated with my CS degree back in 98, my dad gave me that exact advice. Change jobs every 3-4 years, drive up your salary. That's how you make the big bucks.

On Oct 16th, I celebrated my 25th anniversary with the company I work for. I just hit 50 in January. I've spent half of my years on this planet working for one company. Clearly I didn't follow his advice. I started with this company after graduation and have enjoyed it every day since. I'm sure my dad was right and that I could have made a lot more money following his advice. Maybe could even be retired by now. But I have no regrets and have been able to fully support my wife and four kids on what I have made.

A grad transfer, I can get. Your gave Tech four years of your best. Enjoy your last year. And I suppose some others could be "processing" a guy that just can't stay healthy and encouraging him to move on. I guess loyalty works both ways.
Actually , most people my company worked for were engineers who had worked at their company for thier whole career. They had good steady employment at a rate just enough to keep them at same job. Occasionally we worked for a smaller company whose engineer had once been at a regular compny. He had been fired / RIF but had been hired with stock options as part of a risky start up. Often ghese stsrt up would raid my compny for talent by offering promptions and stock options. I would agree the guys who stayed at their saliered positions did well. Some of the stsrt up folded but thier engr seemed to pop up again. Several guys shifted into real estate and w good number mind did great.

At the W21 tail gate their were several uga grads that had got canned and went into Atl real estate. Finally hit a big one and were having fun at gt came ( had season tickets and tail gste pass) because our guys were fun to watch. Their millon dollar motor homes were nice.

Gt athldtics needs to find a way to get .ore donors making small donations on steady basis.