Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
I'm curious why folks want us to add a "bruiser" at RB? I don't see that as a key need.
It'd be a very nice compliment to our running game. We don't have anyone at that position listed at 200lbs. There are other needs that are more of a priority like linebacker but I could definitely see us targeting a bigger running back in the portal.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
He had a great shot at being in the rotation this year and couldn't make it in. He was behind Jamal Haynes (who started the season as a wide out), Donate (who will be gone), Trey Cooley, and Evan Dickens. Donate leaving won't help his case for getting PT here much. And adding a bruising running back in the portal is a real possibility. Add in the two RB commits from the current recruiting class, which he'll be ahead of but still have to compete with. You can tell he sees the writing on the wall.
Right this second, I would consider Felix and Dickens to be in about equal in the evaluation to determine the 2nd guy in the rotation at running back next year. My general impression is that Cooley fumbles too often to get the ball often as part of a regular rotation, although he blocks really well. The commits haven't signed yet, so we don't know what we have coming in. The RB room behind Haynes is a question mark. We have some talented players, but, outside of Cooley, not much game experience.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I'm curious why folks want us to add a "bruiser" at RB? I don't see that as a key need.
Because on 3rd or 4th and short, we struggled, especially earlier this season but even in this last game. If we had that kind of back that could basically always pickup 1-2 yards, we likely go for it on the 4th down we decided to take a FG on and end up scoring a TD. Jamal and Dontae are great RBs, and we've seen them look like hercules carrying/pushing multiple defenders a few times this year, but they've also gotten caught by a handful of jersey and stopped dead in their tracks quite a few times too.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Right this second, I would consider Felix and Dickens to be in about equal in the evaluation to determine the 2nd guy in the rotation at running back next year. My general impression is that Cooley fumbles too often to get the ball often as part of a regular rotation, although he blocks really well. The commits haven't signed yet, so we don't know what we have coming in. The RB room behind Haynes is a question mark. We have some talented players, but, outside of Cooley, not much game experience.
Right this second, Dickens is listed as the final guy in the rotation on the depth chart. If the RB room is a question mark behind Haynes and Felix isn't in the rotation that's pretty telling. Jamie Felix knows his situation far better than any of us and his decision is probably not a rash or emotional one.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It'd be a very nice compliment to our running game. We don't have anyone at that position listed at 200lbs. There are other needs that are more of a priority like linebacker but I could definitely see us targeting a bigger running back in the portal.

Ah, ok. More like a 'nice to have'. I can dig it.

paul feig look GIF

Bro, I said yeah.
Because on 3rd or 4th and short, we struggled, especially earlier this season but even in this last game. If we had that kind of back that could basically always pickup 1-2 yards, we likely go for it on the 4th down we decided to take a FG on and end up scoring a TD. Jamal and Dontae are great RBs, and we've seen them look like hercules carrying/pushing multiple defenders a few times this year, but they've also gotten caught by a handful of jersey and stopped dead in their tracks quite a few times too.

Eh, I guess. 'Long as the OL keeps getting better ... as they did throughout the year ... we could probably put you back there on 4th and a long 1 and be aiight. ;)

slugboy

Staff member

paul feig look GIF

Bro, I said yeah.

Eh, I guess. 'Long as the OL keeps getting better ... as they did throughout the year ... we could probably put you back there on 4th and a long 1 and be aiight. ;)
Philly seems to be able to get a 4th and 2 without a fullback.

I think Faulkner has a plan. However, I wouldn’t mind a Bob Christian or Ironhead Heyward guy to send in. If Biggers can take a handoff, I’m ok with that, too

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

paul feig look GIF

Bro, I said yeah.

Well of course you could put me back there, at 6'5 250lbs I could pretty much just fall forward and pickup 2 yards every time (which is good because I can't run at all).

Alas, the NCAA says I'm just too good (or something like that, I wasn't paying attention) and refuses to grant me any more eligibility.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
How about 3rd/4th down and for 1 or 2 yds??.That's why Key didn't go for it vs uga and kicked that FG at 5 in 1st qtr..

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
1. OLB x2
2. SDE
3.H-Back/TE- I think we were missing a true TE/FB tweener. We tried a few te screens and power running with the TE out in front but neither Seither nor Ward is that type of player. Specialty spot for sure, but I think we would benefit from a good player here.
4.Edge depth
5. Corner
6. Nickel
7. OL depth
8. Bigger RB to compliment Jamal. Not necessarily a Nigerian Nightmare/Alstott but 220 lb range when we want to lean on people.

Then of course any other position that could use some competition.

With Elko gone, I would look at some Duke guys that want to leave, especially at RB and on defense. Elko had a good eye for defensive talent and their RB impressed me this season.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Cooley tiptoes and does not hit the hole hard at all. He also never makes the first guy miss. The offense this year started clicking when Smith began playing. Not that he was the most important player or even great but because we needed somone else besides Haynes who would hit the hole hard and make the first guy miss. Haynes is small and needs some help and as good as he is the position requires rotation. I am confident we should be able to find somebody in the portal. A decent running back that looks at film would like his chances with this line, QB, and fast receivers to have some running lanes. Felix would have to really grow up to fill that role.