Toughest ACC non-conference schedule: GT of course

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It’s not like the SEC picks themselves. More than 60 sports writers and broadcasters across the country cast their votes individually and disagree with you.
That's okay. They're entitled to be wrong too. ;)

As for sportscasters and broadcasters...I find it laughable that you hold them up as evidence to support your opinion. As Tech fans we know firsthand, time after time, how ignorant and lazy these sports writers and broadcasters are. The things that come out of their mouths...makes you wonder sometimes.

I predict at least 3 of those 7 will fall out of the Top25 at some point in the season, but at least 2 other SEC teams not in the Top25 will climb into the rankings during the year.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Nope. No syndrome here. Just tired of the same old narrative of people bowing down to the SEC as this almighty. They're not. Historically (read: past 20 years) they duck big games against top teams from other conferences. Take the rivalry games out of the equation because they're outliers. LSU is the only SEC team that does it regularly and some of the others do it occasionally. The facts don't lie. Do the research.

Until the top SEC teams start playing games against teams of their caliber in the other conferences, we'll continue to hear this same, tired narrative.
In the next 15 years, Alabama will play home and homes with Texas, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Florida State, Wisconsin, Arizona, West Virginia. That’s pretty stout.

@USF (Sept. 16), 2024: USF (Sept. 7), at Wisconsin (Sept. 14) 2025: at Florida State (Aug. 30), Wisconsin (Sept. 13) 2026: at West Virginia (Sept. 5), USF (Sept. 12), Florida State (Sept. 19) 2027: West Virginia (Sept. 4), at Ohio State (Sept. 18) 2028: Ohio State (Sept. 9), at Oklahoma State (Sept. 23) 2029: at Notre Dame (Sept. 1) Oklahoma State (Sept. 15) 2030: at Georgia Tech (Aug. 31), Notre Dame (Sept. 14) 2031: Georgia Tech (Aug. 30) 2032: Arizona (Sept. 4), at Oklahoma (Sept. 11) 2033: at Arizona (Sept. 3), Oklahoma (Sept. 10) 2034: at Virginia Tech (Sept. 2) 2035: Virginia Tech (Sept. 1)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That's okay. They're entitled to be wrong too. ;)

As for sportscasters and broadcasters...I find it laughable that you hold them up as evidence to support your opinion. As Tech fans we know firsthand, time after time, how ignorant and lazy these sports writers and broadcasters are. The things that come out of their mouths...makes you wonder sometimes.

I predict at least 3 of those 7 will fall out of the Top25 at some point in the season, but at least 2 other SEC teams not in the Top25 will climb into the rankings during the year.
It’s the system we have. But I respect your right to refuse anyone else’s opinion but your own.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Your argument is nonsensical. The SEC wins NCs like it’s their birth right. Until they start losing it is what it is. They get the most players drafted because they have the most NFL caliber players. Why, NFL caliber players want to go to colleges with track records of producing NFL players. That unfortunately is the SEC.

I don’t like it but it’s a fact they have been the best conference for about 15 years. .
I've never disagreed with any of this except the first sentence. My point is, as a conference, top-to-bottom, they're overrated and they dodge playing top teams OOC in the regular season.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It stands to reason that if you are FCS or a weak FBS program, you will likely play tough opponents if only for the paycheck.

My contention is that the SEC schedules OOC pretty similar to others. OSU plays Western KY, Indiana and Youngstown State. Not exactly USC is it?
I agree tOSU should play a tougher OOC schedule. I think they do more than uga.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I've never disagreed with any of this except the first sentence. My point is, as a conference, top-to-bottom, they're overrated and they dodge playing top teams OOC in the regular season.
Please tell me why Maryland and Rutgers should be taken seriously. ALL conferences vary in team competitiveness.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
yeah, I think a team that goes .500 pretty much sucks. No hyperbole. Just my opinion. You're only as good as your last season. I stand by that with GT, as well. We've pretty much sucked too.

That's good to know. What I take from this is that there is no point in any font debating with you on anything because you set the definitions of terms as you see them, and not as the English language or the vast majority of sports fans define them. This makes it impossible to hold a reasonable debate.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
In the next 15 years, Alabama will play home and homes with Texas, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Florida State, Wisconsin, Arizona, West Virginia. That’s pretty stout.

@USF (Sept. 16), 2024: USF (Sept. 7), at Wisconsin (Sept. 14) 2025: at Florida State (Aug. 30), Wisconsin (Sept. 13) 2026: at West Virginia (Sept. 5), USF (Sept. 12), Florida State (Sept. 19) 2027: West Virginia (Sept. 4), at Ohio State (Sept. 18) 2028: Ohio State (Sept. 9), at Oklahoma State (Sept. 23) 2029: at Notre Dame (Sept. 1) Oklahoma State (Sept. 15) 2030: at Georgia Tech (Aug. 31), Notre Dame (Sept. 14) 2031: Georgia Tech (Aug. 30) 2032: Arizona (Sept. 4), at Oklahoma (Sept. 11) 2033: at Arizona (Sept. 3), Oklahoma (Sept. 10) 2034: at Virginia Tech (Sept. 2) 2035: Virginia Tech (Sept. 1)
and uga? and UF? and Auburn? and Ole Miss?

Alabama probably steps out 2nd behind LSU. They're a damn good program. I wonder if they wander in the wilderness for a while after Saban retires. Most top programs do. Look at USC, Washington, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, etc. They were absolutely dominant while their coach was there and then fell back to earth afterward.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That's good to know. What I take from this is that there is no point in any font debating with you on anything because you set the definitions of terms as you see them, and not as the English language or the vast majority of sports fans define them. This makes it impossible to hold a reasonable debate.
Really? What do you consider an average season? 11-14 is 0.440. Is that not "sucks" to you?

I'd say a P5 team that goes 7-5 is an average team. They go 4-4 in conference play and 3-1 in OOC games, losing to the other P5 team they play. This seems reasonable to me. I generally consider anything subpar to pretty much suck, don't you?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
and uga? and UF? and Auburn? and Ole Miss?

Alabama probably steps out 2nd behind LSU. They're a damn good program. I wonder if they wander in the wilderness for a while after Saban retires. Most top programs do. Look at USC, Washington, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, etc. They were absolutely dominant while their coach was there and then fell back to earth afterward.
It is up to each AD to set the schedule. Google it. I did.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It is up to each AD to set the schedule. Google it. I did.
I have. I actually did the research over the past 20 years. That's my whole point. The data doesn't lie.

as for the schedules, you gave one example moving forward, not backward. The discussion has centered about what the SEC has done historically, not what Alabama is doing now.

And if you think the AD sets the schedule without the head coach, well...

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

Oklahoma and Texas will be in their conference, and future schedules are always subject to change. We were supposed to play Bama in 2013 and 2014, then it got postponed to 2019 and 2020, and then pushed again to 2030 and 2031.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Really? What do you consider an average season? 11-14 is 0.440. Is that not "sucks" to you?

I'd say a P5 team that goes 7-5 is an average team. They go 4-4 in conference play and 3-1 in OOC games, losing to the other P5 team they play. This seems reasonable to me. I generally consider anything subpar to pretty much suck, don't you?
I think the definition of sucks has changed a lot around here over the past 4 years...

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Oklahoma and Texas will be in their conference, and future schedules are always subject to change. We were supposed to play Bama in 2013 and 2014, then it got postponed to 2019 and 2020, and then pushed again to 2030 and 2031.
Doesn’t change the fact that Alabama is scheduling stronger OOC opponents in the future. Neither Texas nor Oklahoma were in the SEC when they agreed to play.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Doesn’t change the fact that Alabama is scheduling stronger OOC opponents in the future. Neither Texas nor Oklahoma were in the SEC when they agreed to play.
Alabama does. Most of the other teams in the SEC seem to only schedule quality OOC opponents if they are in-state rivals, or it is for a paycheck in a neutral site one time high paying game. People have complained on here that GT's OOC schedule is bad, but GT has the mutts, one P5, one G5, and one FCS game as their OOC schedule almost every year. If I remember correctly, the mutt game at ND was the first time in the history of the school that they had played a regular season game outside of the Southeast.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Maybe you are simply upset that I said the SEC narrative changes frequently depending on what is best for the SEC, but you said exactly the same thing I said with respect to draft picks. Alabama doesn't have more draft picks simply because those players went to Alabama. Alabama gets more very good players, and they end up being drafted. NFL teams don't take mediocre players from Alabama just because it is Alabama.

The "best conference" for 15 years is hogwash. It is purely subjective, which is evidenced by the fact that the measurements used to quantify "best conference" changes. They usually have two or three very good teams, then the rest of the conference isn't that different from the rest of other conferences. LSU has very good years, and very mediocre years. Auburn has very good years and very mediocre years. Miss State has very good years and very bad years. Ole Miss has very good years and very bad years. Alabama is the only team that has been VERY good for the last 15 years throughout. The narrative definitely changes. Several years ago, the SEC won most of their bowl games, and it was touted as absolute proof that the SEC is the most dominate conference in the history of the world. The next year, the SEC only won 2 or three bowl games, and it was said that college teams don't pay attention to or really try in bowl games unless a championship is on the line. Which is it? Is a conference record in bowl games significant, or is it not. The SEC narrative says it is the end all, be all measure when they win, but then says it doesn't make any difference when they lose. The SEC crowd will always have some argument that the SEC is on par with the NFL, and all other college football is on par with high school football. That argument will change as soon as it points in a different direction.
My observation as well.

Bowl games -“We dominate because we’re better”……”We don’t really try in bowl games because they don’t mean anything.”

“Alabama got blown out by Clemson because the players’ heads weren’t in the game because winning had gotten to be old hat for them.”

“Clemson just wanted it more that day but if they played 10 games….” Never mind that Alabama’s performance against Clemson was comparable, or worse, than how the bottom of the ACC performed against Clemson.

“Point spreads don’t mean anything”…… “Point spreads mean everything.” -see John Heisman’s quotes about this and his decision to create a 222-0 game. See TCU against uga and all the opinions about whether that point spread meant everything or meant nothing.

If the argument supports the SEC then it really doesn’t matter what the argument is.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Nobody cares after the first 3 or 4 teams in any Conference as they will all have at least 3 Conference losses. Does the SEC get the benefit of the doubt? Sure and why wouldn't they as they have been the dominant conference for a very long time!

Only winning at the top of the conference will change the narrative.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Agreeing to play at some future date and actually playing are two different things, hence the second point in my post.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Agreeing to play at some future date and actually playing are two different things, hence the second point in my post.
Games get rescheduled all the time.

”Radakovich said he contacted Alabama athletics director Mal Moore in December to discuss postponing the series because, at the time, he was considering some alternatives that would help Tech's recruiting efforts, as well as balance the schedule.“

Can you really hold it against Alabama for a rescheduled GT game when it’s GT asking for the postponement?