Top 5 Tech games you have seen of all time

So it is July and the Summer drags on. We anxiously await the new jerseys, fall camp, and kick off. Soooo I would like to put it out there, what are your Top 5 Tech games of all time ranked 1-5 and briefly a why beside each.

5. 2008 Georgia Tech Georgia. We won and broke the streak of 7 games
4. 1974 Georgia Tech Georgia. A cold rainy day in Athens and the Wishbone was cranking
3. 1984 Georgia Tech Georgia. The Dawg fans were doing the wave right when Malcom King broke of his first long run.
2. 1991 Citrus Bowl Georgia Tech vs Nebraska. Drove down to Orlando, never forget right at the cut off in Florida where you head to Tampa or Orlando, the road was filled with cars with Tech flags and Clemson Flags as they were playing in the Tangerine bowl. Also the National Championship
1. You might be surprised here. I was a freshman at UGA, yes I have told you all I graduated from there. I had come home and decided to attend the Tech game, knowing we had very little chance. I watched an outmanned plucky team take down the number 1 team with a 5th string quarterback. Georgia Tech 3 Notre Dame 3 1980. The same day Lindsay Scott Lindsay Scott Lindsay Scott happened. The greatest Tech game I ever saw.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
You asked for five but I only have two. 2015 against FSU - I almost gave these tickets away because we were having a bad season and I thought we were going to get clobbered.
2016 at VT - Again, I didn’t expect a good outcome but my cousin invited me and she had season tickets on the 40. JT was out and I think we were trying out three new offensive linemen. At one point I realized that I was the only person around me cheering. It was equivalent to screaming in the library.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will list only the games I saw in person (a couple I saw on TV would be included otherwise)

5) 1969 vs the mutts in Atlanta. Ended a 7 game losing streak and was the only Tech-Georgia game my mom ever saw in person. She LOVED it.
4) 1974 vs the mutts in Athens. HORRIBLE weather, and the only Tech-Georgia game my dad ever saw in person. I gave him the option of leaving at halftime, but he was enjoying it too much to leave.
3) 1991 Citrus Bowl. National championship -- enuf said.
2) 2015 vs FSU. It still defies description.
1) 1962 vs undefeated, defending NC Bama....the most intense football atmosphere I have ever experienced, and the most exciting game.

Honorable mentions, the Dewberry win in Athens and the Gary Lee "out of the fog" win in Atlanta. I took my pre-teen nephew to that one; he later got a degree from Tech himself.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Here's some off the top of my head - the Citrus Bowl (because of what it represented), the '90 Clempson game at BDS, the Gary Lee kickoff return in the fog against Uga ( a precious home win in the series), Curry's first game as a HC against Bama and the Bear in B'ham and perhaps GT vs #4 VT in 2009. I'm sure I'll think of a few others in a moment.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Hmm, interesting thread...let's see. My top 5 would be:
  1. have to put 41-38 over UVa in Charlottesville at the top of my list. It brought us into the national spotlight and paved the way for our last national championship, and I was there to enjoy every inebriated second of the game and post game celebration.
  2. GT 31-FSU 28 in 2008....The Fumble...caused by Cooper Taylor in the GT end zone with 45 seconds left to allow us to hold on and win
  3. GT 51-UGa 48 in 1999 in The Fumble #2...Jasper Sanks fumble as they decided to try to a TD instead of kicking the easy FG...then we get a 2nd chance at our FG and put it through....bedlam (was that the last time we won at home over the Dwags?)
  4. GT 27, Maryland 23 in 2006 with a goal line stand in the final minute of play highlighted by back-to-back sacks on 3rd and 4th downs by Michael Johnson to preserve the win.
  5. GT 22 FSU 16 in 2015...the Field Goal return for a TD
For me, the criteria I used was (1) I had to have been there in person, and (2) the noise and excitement in the stadium made a long lasting memorable impression on me

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn’t watch college football until I became a Tech student, so these will be pretty recent.

5. Orange Bowl 2014. It was fun watching us run over an SEC team that had been ranked #1 for several weeks. I got to see some of my high school friends and my high school band director ear their words.

4. UGA 2016. In the stands with the band, that was the only game where I both yelled so hard that I lost my voice and played my trombone so loud that I busted my lip. No regrets.

3. Clemson 2011. My first homecoming as a Tech student. In the tunnel before the game, my section leader said “Guys, I just got a call from the national weather service. They’re predicting a high probability of UPSET!” After thinking we would get blown out by an undefeated #5 team, I was overjoyed to watch us win convincingly and watch the fans storm the field and tear down the goalpost.

2. FSU 2015. I did not think we would win this one. When Aguayo was setting up the kick, I thought it would be like the Blewitt kick the week before. When Lance Austin crossed that goal line, I was so ecstatic that I shook everyone around me by the shoulders. That game was such a pleasant surprise that my euphoria from the victory lasted hours after the game ended.

1. UGA 2014. Go figure that the one year I don’t do band, we have an amazing season. I bought tickets to this game because I had a feeling. Even from the nosebleed seats, I felt all of the excitement. I couldn’t tell whether Butker’s kick went in until a Tech fan at the front of my section yelled “IT’S GOOOOD!” When DJ White picked off that last pass, I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t think I’d ever get to see us beat Georgia, and I’m so glad I was wrong.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Wasn’t at these games but......

GT @ UGA 2014

GT @ UGA 2016

GT vs FSU 2015

GT vs UNC 2013 (I was actually at this game)

GT vs Miss St 2014

Honorable mention

GT @ VT 2014 I didn’t get to watch it all because it was my wedding day, so that’s why it gets an honorable mention.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think it was at the 1974 game if that was the one in Athens where it had rained all morning, was really cold (like in the 30's) and windy. My wife's neighbor in Atlanta gave us 2 tickets in the UGA section just a few feet from the press box. It was covered there but the wind was blowing rain sideways. The field was so bad the band did not march and left the stadium at the half. We put it on them that day and they were favored. The only fans left at the end of the game were Tech fans. Most of their fans left before the 4th quarter had started. I don't remember the final score but it was a pretty good beat down.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
5) 1998 UVA at GT - Joe’s 4th quartet comeback was amazing
4) 2008 FSU at GT
3) either 99 or 00 against Clem. Kerry Watkins with a catch falling through the end zone as time expired
2) 2008 GT at UGa
1) 2009 ACC Championship v Clem

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
91 Citrus Bowl. Natty. Nuff said.
84 Clemson at home.
08 at Georgia.
09 ACCCG. "Fourth and two... Parker gonna throw ... Up in the pocket he doesn't get it! Tech's gonna win the ACC title! Anthony Egbuniwe and Derrick Morgan drop him! He tucked it to run and he was stopped!
14 Between the hedges. The Kick. The Pick. The Mutts' heartbreak.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
5) 1982 Citadel don't laugh my first season for season tickets was 1981 so this was the first Home win I saw.
4) 2005 Auburn
3) 2003 Auburn
4 ) 2015 FSU
5) any Tech win over uga

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
1991 Citrus Bowl
1961 vs Bama. Bama ranked #1
1969 vs ugag. Broke drought & dooleys
1st loss to GT
1998 & 2008 vs ugag. Both, I believe,
drought breakers.
1950 vs ugag. Bending rules as I wasn't
there but alive. This started 8
Straight..

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
5) 1998 UVA at GT - Joe’s 4th quartet comeback was amazing
4) 2008 FSU at GT
3) either 99 or 00 against Clem. Kerry Watkins with a catch falling through the end zone as time expired
2) 2008 GT at UGa
1) 2009 ACC Championship v Clem

I wasn’t at the game but the 98 game against UVA is when I officially became a GT fan. I loved how scrappy they were and didn’t give up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTFLETCH

Banned
1)1991 Citrus Bowl vs Nebraska

2) 2014 Orange Bowl vs Miss State

3)1999 Gator Bowl vs Notre Dame

4)UGA 2014 "The Kick & The Pick"

5) FSU 2015 "Miracle on Techwood Drive"

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I’ve really been following Tech football hard for 10 years. So mine are recent.

#5 Mississippi State in the orange bowl. I had no cable at the time. I had to check the score by the second on my phone. Going crazy with every big play indication and score alert

#4 2008 uga it was cool to come back like that and win. I miss how fired up CPJ used to get on the sidelines. He doesn’t seem to do that much anymore.

#3 2014 the kick and the pick gave me so much anxiety. That game was insane.

#2 2008 fsu my first real Tech game. I was in the nosebleeds on the opposite end of the field when the fumble occurred. Didn’t even know what happened because I couldn’t see. I had to wait for the announcer to call the play for me to celebrate.

#1 2009 VT we were rolling that season. I was in the north end zone with my mom for that one. Bottom level of the upper deck. I couldn’t hear myself yelling during that game. I’ve never seen Bobby Dodd that vicious befor. It was LOUD. And so awesome to see Tech take down the #4 team and tear down the goal posts.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
OK, revealing my age here in no particular order other than chronological:

1962 Tech beats number one Alabama one year after the Chick Granning incident

1966 Tech beats number eight and favored Tennessee in Coach Dodd's last year.

1990 The aforementioned national championship bowl win over Nebraska

1999 or thereabouts Jasper Thanks game. Thought it was all over for the Jackets but Coach Donnan had to get just a little bit closer.

2004 or 2005 I think. Anyway beating Auburn at Grant Field with my entire load of in laws, out laws, in attendance bragging about the Tigers winning the SEC and putting the ACC down as Big East South.