Top 5 Favorite GT football players of all time.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
I've only been truly conscious of Georgia Tech Football since the end of the Chan Gailey era, so that's why none of the old guys (with exception to 1) are on here:

1. Jonathan Dwyer - Dwyer was probably the first player I truly loved, so he was and continues to be my favorite
2. Jemea Thomas/Robbie Godhigh/Julian Burnett - These three guys are all underdog stories to me. Always thought of as "too small," all three of these players went on to have fantastic careers at GT and are some of my favorite players.
3. Michael Johnson - The second oldest guy on this list, I remember thinking he was just a complete freak of nature for us.
4. Clint Castleberry - My one old guy on this list. Even though I wasn't anywhere near even being thought about when this guy played, he still claims a spot on my top five-ish favorite players mainly because of his story, which I'm sure most of you know.
5. Morgan Burnett - Nothing beats his 2008 pick-six from Matt Stafford. It was great

Honorable mentions: Calvin Johnson/Bay Bay, Vance Walker, Tevin Washington (who with hindsight is moving up this list), and Joshua Nesbitt

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
1. Robert Lavette
2. John Davis
3. Megatron
4. Key Fox
5. Ted Roof

Narrowing it down to 5 is almost impossible. Leaving off Lothridge, Ivory, the Swillings, Gardner, Maxie Baughan (before even my time), Curry, Martin, Rhino, Sisson, Mays, Campbell, Rodriguez................hell the list can go on for awhile when you get to my years of following GT!!!!!!!!!!!

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Obviously it is not my place to judge other people's favorites, but I have read several Ken Swilling lovers. If you are going to put down a Swilling on your list, it ought to be Ken's older brother Pat, who was my contemporary. He was the better player. He was actually tied for sixth on my list with Ted Roof, Keith Brooking, and Marco Coleman.
I think Pat and Ken Swilling are cousins.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
The first two are easy for me, got to go with my home town guys.
1 Jerry Mays
2 Eddie Lee
3 Calvin Johnson
4. Josh Nesbitt
5 Joe Hamilton

Before my time, and probably before that of most on here, but you can't leave out the likes of George Morris and Larry Morris, and probably a few others from way way back. I would have to add, among more recent players, Mike Kelly and Gary Lanier. There have been others better than those two, but they both were great in their own way and in their time. And who can possibly forget Gary Lee? There are just to many great ones to narrow it down to only five.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Before my time, and probably before that of most on here, but you can't leave out the likes of George Morris and Larry Morris, and probably a few others from way way back. I would have to add, among more recent players, Mike Kelly and Gary Lanier. There have been others better than those two, but they both were great in their own way and in their time. And who can possibly forget Gary Lee? There are just to many great ones to narrow it down to only five.

Hey SS, welcome to the Swarm!!!!

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
Billy Lothridge the greatest football player ever at GT! Eddie lee Ivery
John Davis Michael Cheever. Kent Hill.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Quickly off the top of my head and in no particular order:

Freddie Smith
Greg Gathers
Joe Ham
Calvin
Nesbitt

Honorable mention:

Charlie Rogers
Kerry Watkins
Joe Anoai
Chris Reis
Chris Young
Dez White
Michael Johnson
Tashard Choice

PatrickinGa

Georgia Tech Fan
Doesn't anyone remember watching Lucius Sanford play?

Too little, and too slow, whatever, but on the field, pound-for-pound, Smylie Gebhart was one of the best football players I have ever seen. And what a guy, friend of mine.

RIP Smylie!