Top 5 Favorite GT football players of all time.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Caveat: my frame of reference is from 2004- present

1. Joshua Nesbitt
2. Bay Bay Thomas
3. Robbie Godhigh
4. Calvin Johnson
5. Tashard Choice

Honorable mention: Orwin Smith

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
1. Megatron. Probably my favorite athlete in any sport my whole darned life.
2. Lil Joe. Might be the biggest overachiever of all.
3. Shawn Jones. Leader, plain and simple.
4. Robert Lavette. Not flashy or fast but real good instincts carrying the football. Plus he was really gracious about spending time with me and my little brothers from the projects that used to border campus.
5. Roddy Jones. He wasn't one of the top 10 best, but he just represents the school so well and worked so hard at every aspect. Over 2 Bills against the flea bags didn't hurt either.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
You took all the good ones. I'll add Bebe to the 5 you mentioned. I'll throw Daryl Smith in there as my non-obvious choice.
How could I forget Bebe? Damn it. Okay he and Calvin are like A and B number 5 for me then... Lol

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I can't help myself... I need another list for guys who may or may not have been all-timers, but I just couldn't help but love them.

1. Reggie Ball. That's right, I said it. For better or worse, I just loved the guy. He did some crazy stuff, but I don't know if there was anybody who played harder during his years. (I got crucified for years by my roommates for predicting he would be a Heisman contender after he provided exciting moments as a freshman. My fantasy team name has been "Reggie Ball for Heisman" for years.)
2. Jonathan Smith. He did it all. Seems like he had a game where he scored on a catch, a return, and maybe passing?
3. Michael Johnson. It was like catching a glimpse of a huge shark underwater... something about being 6'7" just freaked me out!
4. C.J. Williams. His sole reason for being on my list was a 3 TD fourth quarter vs. NC State in the rain at a game I caught with my dad.
5. Robbie Godhigh

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Ken Swilling is my all time favorite for the obvious reasons. But also, when was the last time any College Football team had a FS with his size and speed. I know at one point he was listed at 6'3" 245lbs. That is insane.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
2. Jonathan Smith. He did it all. Seems like he had a game where he scored on a catch, a return, and maybe passing?
3. Michael Johnson. It was like catching a glimpse of a huge shark underwater... something about being 6'7" just freaked me out!

Like these 2. Everyone always forgets the original "21". Love your description of MJ.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
1. Bay Bay Thomas (he's a friend, from my hometown)
2. Calvin Johnson
3. Joe Hamilton
4. George Godsey
5. Darryl Smith (or Jonathan Dwyer, can't decide)

What a hard list to come up with. Obvious favoritism toward offense.
Other personal favorites: Chris Reis, Key Fox, Phil Wheeler, Jonathan Cox, Dennis , Tony Hollings, PJ Daniels, Tashard Choice, Jonathan Smith, Nate Curry, JP Foschi, J.Anoai, lots of OL: A. Gardner, H.Reilly, K.Wallace, S.Mason, J.Finch, S.Bedford, J.Gilbert ... Just ridiculous to try to start listing favorite players.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
1. Bay Bay Thomas (he's a friend, from my hometown)
2. Calvin Johnson
3. Joe Hamilton
4. George Godsey
5. Darryl Smith (or Jonathan Dwyer, can't decide)

What a hard list to come up with. Obvious favoritism toward offense.
Other personal favorites: Chris Reis, Key Fox, Phil Wheeler, Jonathan Cox, Dennis , Tony Hollings, PJ Daniels, Tashard Choice, Jonathan Smith, Nate Curry, JP Foschi, J.Anoai, lots of OL: A. Gardner, H.Reilly, K.Wallace, S.Mason, J.Finch, S.Bedford, J.Gilbert ... Just ridiculous to try to start listing favorite players.

It is definitely hard to narrow it down to 5. :)

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I rode the same Tech trolley as him several times my freshman year and always thought he was a basketball player until I saw him decapitate someone on a kickoff return.

My frame of reference starts from when I became a student in 2006
1. Calvin Johnson
2. Josh Nesbitt
3. Michael Johnson
4. Jonathan Dwyer
5. Robbie Godhigh

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
This is difficult with the exception of #1.

1. Joe Hamilton (The reason I'm a GT fan)
2. Calvin Johnson (Hard to find a classier guy with that talent)
3. Daryl Smith (Always underrated even in the NFL until perhaps last year when he finally got on a real team)
4. P.J. Daniels (He's a prince, how can you not like him!)
5. Kelly Campbell/Dez White/Kerry Watkins (I cheated)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't born yet but my father said watching Eddie Lee Ivory was truly to witness greatness.

Here's a game from youtube. Eddie Lee gets hurt, and the ending isn't good but you get to see something. Also Cooksey, father of current recruit plays NT for us. I won't embed because of ending

Edit: I guess it does it automatically when pasting the link

Last edited: