Top 10 Offense

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
It's a useless statistic that divides the total points scored by the number of plays run. So, if you're a ball control offense, you'll score low. Nothing to see here at all.

"Scoring efficiency is simply the total points a team scores, divided by the total plays run on offense."
I feel like this equation would give Paul Johnson (please for the love of god don’t let this turn into a CPJ vs GC debate) a low number simply because amount of plays per derive even if scoring. For that reason, I’m out
Can anybody think of a coach firing, across any team in the nation, that has resulted in more childish behavior?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I feel like this equation would give Paul Johnson (please for the love of god don’t let this turn into a CPJ vs GC debate) a low number simply because amount of plays per derive even if scoring. For that reason, I’m out
Can anybody think of a coach firing, across any team in the nation, that has resulted in more childish behavior?
I thought about Paul, too.
Points per possession makes more sense than points per play. But all of these stats are skewed by the fact that the only thing that matters is what the scoreboard says at the end of the game.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Despite the "death march" meme the propagates any discussion of CPJ, the offense (when good) was very good in points per play.
2009 GT ranked 15th in points per play. 8th in points per drive.
2014 GT ranked 9th in points per play. 4th in points per drive.

It is true that in points per play, a 12 play touch down drive is weighted "worse" than a 6 play td drive, but that is why things like FEI use both points per drive and points per play to derive efficiency. No matter what, you want a team that scores TD at a high rate, but in general, you want TD drives to be fewer plays as it reduces negative variance from penalties.

Edit to add: There is also something to be said that if you are truly a better team on offense and defense, longer drives reduces the overall number of drives in a game. Reducing total drives increases variance. This is a good thing if you are worse, but not necessarily if you are better. Scoring fast and scoring often helps to maximize your true expected points.

Last edited:

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, the Johnson offense often scored fast or picked up yards in a hurry. We remember this in the highlights - Dwyer faking a UGA defender out of his shoes going up the middle in 2008 for a TD after halftime, Roddy Jones running down the sideline later that game, Orwin Smith going for a billion yards a bunch of times, Days going for a long run to re-assert the lead in the Orange Bowl, etc...

I understand why commentators would use "not built to score fast" as a talking point late in games, though, since it was less of a "call the long pass play" and more "execute perfectly and/or hope someone on D screws up" to unlock big gains. It was less in your control - if you throw four bombs in a row, you're very much either boom or bust, and less likely to end up with some yards but not enough. Bu IIRC the two-minute-drill was often pretty different, play-calling-wise, anyway.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
While our offense is very good at scoring on normal drives that start between our 20 and 40 yard line, we have scored zero points and are dead last in FBS with no points for drives that start beyond our own 40 yard line. That is comically bad.
Curious as to how many times we started beyond our 40 in our 3 games. Is that stat easily available?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Curious as to how many times we started beyond our 40 in our 3 games. Is that stat easily available?
It is usually really easy just by looking at the espn drive data, but they haven't been publishing our data. I was able to look at @CuseJacket 's posts when he posts drive data.

1693624913603-png.14686

1694919774917-png.14746

With these I just manually look. When ESPN has our play by play data, https://cfbfastr.sportsdataverse.org/ and https://collegefootballdata.com/exporter are really good resources I use.