Top 10 Offense

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know what “total scoring efficiency” even is. Is that an Off minus Def metric?
It's a useless statistic that divides the total points scored by the number of plays run. So, if you're a ball control offense, you'll score low. Nothing to see here at all.

"Scoring efficiency is simply the total points a team scores, divided by the total plays run on offense."

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
It's a useless statistic that divides the total points scored by the number of plays run. So, if you're a ball control offense, you'll score low. Nothing to see here at all.

"Scoring efficiency is simply the total points a team scores, divided by the total plays run on offense."
With our defense this is a good thing to be in the top 10. Keep the ball and help keep the defense fresh'ish

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know what “total scoring efficiency” even is. Is that an Off minus Def metric?

My guess it's something akin to a points per play for us minus points per play for our opponent. Likely doesn't include FCS games.

Against Ole Miss we had 89 plays for 23 points. They had 56 plays for 48 points.
Against UL we had 70 plays for 34 points. They had 65 plays for 39 points

So in total we've scored 57 points on 159 plays, or about .3585 points per play. We have given up 87 points on 121 plays or .719 points per play. So if we subtract we are at a -.3605. Do that for all teams and you can probably get a similar ranking.

Not certain that's what's be referenced, but I think likely whatever method they use it relies on a per play view of things which hurts us because we've had a number of long drives come away with few points, and I would also guess that it includes both the offense and the defensive side of the ball and so is swayed by how bad our defense is as well.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

It's just another metric in a sea of metrics. The former guy retweeting it, IMO, is in very poor taste...especially since Key is supposedly one of his good friends and the team is full of guys he recruited.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It's just another metric in a sea of metrics. The former guy retweeting it, IMO, is in very poor taste...especially since Key is supposedly one of his good friends and the team is full of guys he recruited.
There is a plethora of statistics out there, and while some are informative, most of them are as worthless as TFG. The one that counts is the one on the scoreboard.

slugboy

Staff member

So, if half your plays are TDs and half are pick-sixes, you’re highly efficient?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
My guess it's something akin to a points per play for us minus points per play for our opponent. Likely doesn't include FCS games.

Against Ole Miss we had 89 plays for 23 points. They had 56 plays for 48 points.
Against UL we had 70 plays for 34 points. They had 65 plays for 39 points

So in total we've scored 57 points on 159 plays, or about .3585 points per play. We have given up 87 points on 121 plays or .719 points per play. So if we subtract we are at a -.3605. Do that for all teams and you can probably get a similar ranking.

Not certain that's what's be referenced, but I think likely whatever method they use it relies on a per play view of things which hurts us because we've had a number of long drives come away with few points, and I would also guess that it includes both the offense and the defensive side of the ball and so is swayed by how bad our defense is as well.
I just wasn't sure since I've never heard it referred to that way. BCF toys (guy who does FEI) has a page for ppd diff: https://www.bcftoys.com/2023-ppd/
We are indeed pretty low since our D is giving up a whopping 3.48 ppd (119th)

The former guy retweeting it, IMO, is in very poor taste...especially since Key is supposedly one of his good friends
In KQ's recent video he made it seem like this was not actually the case. Regardless, Collins doesn't have a leg to stand on with regard to ppd diff.
2019 - 119th
2020 - 101st
2021 - 113th
2022 - 118th

The fact that we are finally in the top 100 just shows we have already improved without him. More true "efficiency" metrics that aren't just based on scoring have us faring better. ESPN FPI efficiency has our team rating rank 57th overall https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi/_/view/efficiencies/group/1
FEI and F+ (still relying on last season's data) has us in the 87 realm.

Collins should probably spend some more time looking in the mirror and less doom scrolling twitter.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

Weird. Most people just say points per play.

Honestly, both PPP and PPD are not as valuable as EPA per play, but at this point I don't know how much it matters to pick nits. Until our defense improves, our team stats are going to be rubbish.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I just wasn't sure since I've never heard it referred to that way. BCF toys (guy who does FEI) has a page for ppd diff: https://www.bcftoys.com/2023-ppd/

In KQ's recent video he made it seem like this was not actually the case. Regardless, Collins doesn't have a leg to stand on with regard to ppd diff.
2019 - 119th
2020 - 101st
2021 - 113th
2022 - 118th

The fact that we are finally in the top 100 just shows we have already improved without him. More true "efficiency" metrics that aren't just based on scoring have us faring better. ESPN FPI efficiency has our team rating rank 57th overall https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi/_/view/efficiencies/group/1

Collins should probably spend some more time looking in the mirror and less doom scrolling twitter.
Our defense is really bad at keeping the other team out the end zone when the other team starts their drive at their 35 yard line or better. Unfortunately, we are also one of the worst in the country in starting defense field position by allowing other teams to average starting on their own 35 yard line. Special teams, defense and too many three and outs when we are deep in our territory are going to be the death of us if we do not fix this quickly.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Our defense is really bad at keeping the other team out the end zone when the other team starts their drive at their 35 yard line or better.
I wish this were only the case. We are indeed really poor at short field defense and have sadly put the defense in this position too often, in my opinion.

However, we are also poor at "normal" length drives as well. "Medium drives" in BCF is defined as
Points per drive from middle starting field position for offenses (OMD) and opponent offenses (DMD) are calculated from the results of drives that begin from the offense's own 20-yard line to its own 40-yard line.

On these drives, GT is giving up 3.85 points per drive (124th). On drives starting from the opponent 40 and closer, we are giving up 5.4 ppd (109th).

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
While our offense is very good at scoring on normal drives that start between our 20 and 40 yard line, we have scored zero points and are dead last in FBS with no points for drives that start beyond our own 40 yard line. That is comically bad.

Last edited:

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
While our offense is very good at scoring on normal drives that start betweenour 20 and 40 yard line, we have scored zero points and are dead last in FBS with no points for drives that start beyond our own 40 yard line. That is comically bad.
Definitely. That one is a bit sampling issue. We have only had three drives start from our 40 or greater in FBS competition.

Louiville
Start Result
Gt-43 Punt
Lou-37 FGA (missed) **this one is slightly unfair since it was end of the half, and it was just a prayer field goal attempt
Lou-49. FGA (missed)

Ole Miss
Start
None

Based on this, I wouldn't draw too many conclusions. The first one was the third drive of the year, and the second was just a prayer.

Edit to add: This is why PPP and PPD is more of a team driven stat than may seem at surface. Since our defense was not stopping Ole Miss, our offense was forced into longer fields all game.

slugboy

Staff member

2019 - 119th
2020 - 101st
2021 - 113th
2022 - 118th

Thanks for posting this.

Offense isn’t terrible at #47. It’s not top 10, but it seems like a more accurate ranking of our offense, and a big improvement.

I think Ole Miss is a strong team—much stronger than Louisville. PPD differential isn’t my go to stat, but being #119 is awful, even considering a top 40 strength of schedule.

As for TFG, the guy needs to move on. He might have blame to spread around, but he blew it here, and the best thing he could do is own it.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Offense isn’t terrible at #47. It’s not top 10, but it seems like a more accurate ranking of our offense, and a big improvement.
47 is amazing considering how poor we have performed the past four years (and is skewed a bit by missing field goals and the td pass drops). We are 36th in yards per play, which at least removes the scoring equation (which I know is the point, but the offense can't control everything).

I think Ole Miss is a strong team—much stronger than Louisville. PPD differential isn’t my go to stat, but being #119 is awful, even considering a top 40 strength of schedule.
PPD diff isn't my go to either, but at the start of the season is probably the best. cfb-graphs used to do EPA-diff ranking: https://www.cfb-graphs.com/ but is sadly not updated for 2023. Since ESPN has not had our play by play data, there is no public source for EPA data I know of.