Todd Gurley?

Tdippp

Ramblin' Wreck
The Jackets have to prepare for UGA like Gurley is going to play regardless of whether he does or not because Chubb, in all honesty, has played as well as, or better than, him as a RB. HOWEVER, from what I've seen, Chubb hasn't proven to be as good as a receiver out of the backfield or blocker as Gurley, so in the event he can't go, and Chubb is THE man, then I fully expect our defense to play very similar to how we played against Miami and Duke Johnson and try to force the passing game to beat us, especially since our DB's have really stepped it up lately.
Chubb is better than Gurley or Da Duke

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Too bad about Gurley. Really. He should be fine for the combines; but given his demonstrated performance already, he'll go first round even if he isn't 100% for the combines.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
(1) I doubt it was an ACL. He walked off the sideline late in the game to go to the dressing room, but wasn't really limping much. I too am guessing more of a bruise than any serious damage;
(2) Chubb looked like the MUCH better back to me than Gurley. Perhaps not quite as much speed, but better elusiveness and power.
(3) Overall, UGa's blowout win scared me. A lot. They played AU's option runs extremely well, and to me that was a very bad sign for us. Florida used a power running game to beat Georgia, but Auburn's option went no where. Part of that is motivation....Auburn looked like their loss to Texas A&M last week had deflated the whole team and they weren't really interested in playing hard with their primary objectives for the year gone up in a rash of fumbles. But still, The Dwags (sic) looked awfully strong last night.
On point number (3) I am not that worried about the comparisons between Auburn's offense and ours. Auburn, while very effective at what do, runs an offense in which the plays develop much more slowly. It depends on blockers holding blocks much longer and it allows defenders to get a running start attacking the ball. Much more I could say but I just don't think defending one translates into defending the other. If that were the case then Tech's defense would be dominant against teams running the spread.

No, Georgia has not faced an offense like ours this year. Should be fun to see what happens.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
That's too bad for the young man, though I certainly wasn't looking forward to facing him. Chubb is quite enough to worry about, thank you very much.

That said, I don't think the game will come down to what Ugag can do on O, but what we can. The secret to beating them is to get ahold of the ball and keep it, same as it was for Miami. I think those two teams are quite similar; both talented, but both with faults that a sound running game can exploit. It'll be close, but I think our chances just got slightly better.

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
That's just more fuel for excuses after we beat them. Of course their fans always have some sort of excuse when they lose, so it hardly matters.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
No, Georgia has not faced an offense like ours this year. Should be fun to see what happens.

I expect our O to perform against Uga like it did against Clemson. More yards plays with negative or 0 yards than we are accustomed to seeing against the midtier type teams.Therefore more punts.We will not consistently gash them for 6 ypc every snap like we do Uva, Pitt, etc.. Will need a few of the "big hit" type plays out of the run game like the big runs by BS and JT yesterday. Will need Smelter and Waller (and for JT to be on with his passes). His back shoulder throws to our big receivers are very difficult to defend. very few possesions in this game for either side. Our O will have to be super efficient (moreso even than the Clemson game).

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
The same question that keeps coming up at UGA, why was Gurley playing in a game that was already a blowout. That is when Michel and Douglas should have been in the game.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
The same question that keeps coming up at UGA, why was Gurley playing in a game that was already a blowout. That is when Michel and Douglas should have been in the game.
Yep like I said earlier in the thread. He had nothing to gain and everything to lose and he lost it. He'll still get drafted but he would have been a top 20 pick. Now he's looking at late 2nd round IMO. Sucks for him but I'm not complaining that we won't have to deal with him again this year.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder if he really is done as a college player? Maybe so, but his ACL won't be healed in time for the combine so he's likely to be a very late round draft choice at best.

No matter how good a team thinks he MAY be on his return to football, he'll likely miss most of his rookie year since the ACL is traditionally a one year recovery. Makes me wonder if he wouldn't be better to go back to UGA, rehab the knee and hope to get some carries towards the end of the year. If he's able to prove the knee is healed, he could then be a first or second rounder. And there is a LOT of difference in the 5-year salary of a first rounder versus a 6th rounder.