Time to use this title. Pressley Harvin :(

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
My fiance's cousin had a false positive. Went to the hospital because of a broken arm with no Covid symptoms, was tested and came back positive. Tested the rest of the family in the same house, all negative, then retested her and she came back negative as well.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Sounds like you had it, and it is true that there are significant numbers of false negatives with the swab testing. In our county for example, we now have (along with over 2800 confirmed positives) over 100 that are shown as "probable" based on their symptoms and issues. I don't know what to believe about false positives, but I guess they are also possible, but I would bet those are more likely human errors of some sort, but not sure.
When I contracted/dealt with COVID, I pestered the hell out of my health care providers and testing facility with questions regarding things like this. For what it’s worth, I was told that with the nasal swab test, false positives were a very low occurrence compared to false negatives, to a point that they weren’t even too worried with false positives, but had seen a lot of false negatives that then tested positive upon retesting.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
When I contracted/dealt with COVID, I pestered the hell out of my health care providers and testing facility with questions regarding things like this. For what it’s worth, I was told that with the nasal swab test, false positives were a very low occurrence compared to false negatives, to a point that they weren’t even too worried with false positives, but had seen a lot of false negatives that then tested positive upon retesting.

I kind of get the idea here in N. Alabama right now, when people "obviously have it", they are no longer worrying about the "re-test" so much. That is why the "probable" column continues to grow.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Also remember there are false negatives. Back in May I got stick and my symptoms checked the boxes off of nearly everything pointing to COVID, but the test came back negative. When the nurse handed me the results and said it was negative, she said at least 3-4 times that false negatives are possible. Took me about a month to get back to 100%.

If you had loss of taste/smell, almost 100 percent you had it.

LibertyTurns

Banned
If Thacker says they’re not missing anyone due to Rona & the whole team is out there I’m assuming he doesn’t mean the whole team’s out there except for Harvin. Am I reading that right?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If Thacker says they’re not missing anyone due to Rona & the whole team is out there I’m assuming he doesn’t mean the whole team’s out there except for Harvin. Am I reading that right?

Too many ways to interpret. "our entire team" could mean that nobody on the defense is missing. It could mean that no defensive player projected to be ATL is missing. It could mean that no football players are ill, which could mean that Harvin's post was about somebody else. Unless somebody asks a direct question and receives a direct answer, all of it is speculation.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Are any of the 4 football players?

I haven't seen anything that says. Also, it is seven instead of four. Four last week, and three previously unreported from the weeks that Ken's article said there were none. It looks like Ken either got information too early, or he bypassed the SID and found a source that didn't have accurate information.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow

Remarkable might be another word. This past week, when about 400 Tech students tested positive for COVID-19, there were four Yellow Jackets athletes who tested positive, evidently none on the football team.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Found this interesting:

"The four positive tests were reported in addition to three positive tests in the week before that previously were unreported. (The school initially reported that there were no positive tests in the period Aug. 10-24.)"

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Found this interesting:

"The four positive tests were reported in addition to three positive tests in the week before that previously were unreported. (The school initially reported that there were no positive tests in the period Aug. 10-24.)"
On Tuesday, defensive coordinator Andrew Thacker said that “we continue, knock on wood, to get great results as far as having our entire team out there to practice and not having to miss guys (because of the coronavirus).”

Doesn't mean they are football players

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
On Tuesday, defensive coordinator Andrew Thacker said that “we continue, knock on wood, to get great results as far as having our entire team out there to practice and not having to miss guys (because of the coronavirus).”

Doesn't mean they are football players

Considering the post that started this thread was from a football player, I am not sure that some of these aren't football players. Coaches have been known to stretch the truth before.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Found this interesting:

Ken's article quoted an "institute spokesman". I'm not sure that is the same as "The school .. reported". I don't know how to judge the reliability of an unnamed spokesman. Did that person have correct information? Did that person have authority to release information? In that article, he stated "From a two-week period starting Aug. 10 through Monday, there were no Yellow Jackets athletes who had tested positive". Does that mean that no positive test results were returned during that two week period? Does that mean that nobody took a test during that two week period that was also returned as positive during that two week period? Does the "three positive tests in the week before that previously were unreported" mean that tests taken a few days before August 24th produced positive results and were received after August 24th? Does it mean that the "spokesman" had inaccurate information? Does it mean that the "spokesman" mislead Ken?

In my opinion: Ken does a very good job of writing human interest stories. Things like his article about AJ Gray are excellent. However, when he writes about purely factual information, it is difficult to determine where the information came from and exactly what the details of the information are.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Considering the post that started this thread was from a football player, I am not sure that some of these aren't football players. Coaches have been known to stretch the truth before.
unless I missed something do we know he was talking himself or a family member or maybe a friend ? I know I have no idea who is at practices maybe others do

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I made a post earlier in this thread about that. I don't think it even has to be a stretch of the truth. The defensive coordinator could be talking only about the defense when he says "entire team". I think too often, people understand what they want to understand without considering full context.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Ken's article quoted an "institute spokesman". I'm not sure that is the same as "The school .. reported". I don't know how to judge the reliability of an unnamed spokesman. Did that person have correct information? Did that person have authority to release information?

Highly likely that the source came from inside the GTAA. Most likely the source did not want to be named because it seems GT was not wanting the info released. Unnamed sources are a staple of journalism. It's on the reporter to verify info prior to printing. If KS is wrong he opens himself and the AJC up to legal issues. Gotta think his editor is on top of this as well.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Highly likely that the source came from inside the GTAA. Most likely the source did not want to be named because it seems GT was not wanting the info released. Unnamed sources are a staple of journalism. It's on the reporter to verify info prior to printing. If KS is wrong he opens himself and the AJC up to legal issues. Gotta think his editor is on top of this as well.

I don't doubt that the source was from inside the GTAA. If GT didn't want the information to be released, the I personally wouldn't label the person as a "spokesman". Also, if the GTAA didn't want the information released it is likely that not everyone in the GTAA had absolute knowledge of everything.

I don't believe there are any legal issues even if the report was wrong. It isn't libelous. It isn't defamatory. And it is about a public figure. I don't see any way that there is any legal issue at all, but I am not a lawyer.

If you pay attention to the AJC and their sports reporting, they will have similar reports post at the same time about the Falcons, Yellow Jackets, and mutts. "Five Reasons for ...." or something like that. Their mutt section reports all kinds of things as "breaking news" type stories, or which many are speculative or just flat out wrong. I believe that KS is under pressure to "get" stories. He has a history of reaching around official channels when he can't get the information he is asking about. I highly suspect(but don't know) that he asked people at the GTAA until somebody said something. I have little confidence in his stories about things like this, especially since he was the only one that I saw reporting it. I appreciate what KS does, but I have to temper my understanding of his stories with what I think he does well, and what he doesn't.