Time to use this title. Pressley Harvin :(

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So you think he's wrong?

That is obvious since he now published a story indicating that the school now said there were three positives during the two weeks that the original story said had none.

I have nothing against Ken. My comments might read as though I do, but I don't intend to sound that way. I am a stickler for details. If the "spokesman" was either named or in a named position, it would have added credibility to the story. If the story included more details, such as: There were no positive test results received between August 10th and August 24th, which included tests which were collected between August 5th and August 21st.: That would have provided more detail.

The statement in the original story was "From a two-week period starting Aug. 10 through Monday, there were no Yellow Jackets athletes who had tested positive for the coronavirus". Does that mean that no positive results were received for samples collected starting August 10th through August 24th? Maybe a positive result was received on August 12th, but it was collected on August 9th. Does it mean that no positive results were received August 10th to 24th? Maybe a positive result was received on August 9th. How long does it take to receive the results? If it takes a day or two then a positive sample could have been collected on the 22nd, 23rd, or 24th and the positive result wouldn't have been known when Ken got the information.

I don't know where Ken go the information, which makes judging accuracy of the information difficult. I don't know if the August 10th date signifies the start date of samples taken or results received. I don't know how long it takes to get the results. I doubt it takes 5 or 6 days, but I don't know. With all that uncertainty the two week period could actually only signify 8 or 9 days of no positive samples collected.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That is obvious since he now published a story indicating that the school now said there were three positives during the two weeks that the original story said had none.

I have nothing against Ken. My comments might read as though I do, but I don't intend to sound that way. I am a stickler for details. If the "spokesman" was either named or in a named position, it would have added credibility to the story. If the story included more details, such as: There were no positive test results received between August 10th and August 24th, which included tests which were collected between August 5th and August 21st.: That would have provided more detail.

The statement in the original story was "From a two-week period starting Aug. 10 through Monday, there were no Yellow Jackets athletes who had tested positive for the coronavirus". Does that mean that no positive results were received for samples collected starting August 10th through August 24th? Maybe a positive result was received on August 12th, but it was collected on August 9th. Does it mean that no positive results were received August 10th to 24th? Maybe a positive result was received on August 9th. How long does it take to receive the results? If it takes a day or two then a positive sample could have been collected on the 22nd, 23rd, or 24th and the positive result wouldn't have been known when Ken got the information.

I don't know where Ken go the information, which makes judging accuracy of the information difficult. I don't know if the August 10th date signifies the start date of samples taken or results received. I don't know how long it takes to get the results. I doubt it takes 5 or 6 days, but I don't know. With all that uncertainty the two week period could actually only signify 8 or 9 days of no positive samples collected.

All the misinformation seems to be coming from GT, not Ken.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
All the misinformation seems to be coming from GT, not Ken.

But I don't know that there even is any misinformation. What are the details of the information that Ken is reporting? Are they based on results received? Samples collected? What is the turn around time for the tests? Is Ken getting his information from the same person every time? If so, does that person actually have access to accurate information? If it is from different people, do they all have access to accurate information? Do they tell him data in the same way?(results from results received in that time frame, from samples collected, from only results received from samples that were also collected in that time frame?)

I don't think Ken is doing anything misleading. I just don't think he has been able to provide enough detail that I can make definitive conclusions about what is actually happening.

I had stated before that it was entirely possible for an athlete, such as the one that this thread is about, could have started showing symptoms Sunday the 23rd and still not have produced a positive result as of Monday the 24th. "Previously unreported" positive tests could be because the results are being posted to the date the samples were collected instead of the date of the result being reported. We don't have enough data to make good analysis. Instead of "misleading" or "misinformation" from Ken or the GTAA, I highly suspect that it is misinterpretation on our part.

Deleted member 2897

Also remember there are false negatives. Back in May I got stick and my symptoms checked the boxes off of nearly everything pointing to COVID, but the test came back negative. When the nurse handed me the results and said it was negative, she said at least 3-4 times that false negatives are possible. Took me about a month to get back to 100%.

My wife is a nurse and says they see false negatives a lot. They treat based on the symptoms and report to the state anyway. South Carolina has a separate sub category they track called presumed positives and presumed COVID deaths. They are included in the data but you can also see the breakout of it.

Deleted member 2897

As I had stated before that it was entirely possible for an athlete, such as the one that this thread is about, could have started showing symptoms Sunday the 23rd and still not have produced a positive result as of Monday the 24th. "Previously unreported" positive tests could be because the results are being posted to the date the samples were collected instead of the date of the result being reported. We don't have enough data to make good analysis. Instead of "misleading" or "misinformation" from Ken or the GTAA, I highly suspect that it is misinterpretation on our part.

Correct, if Harvin has it, the only way possible is:
1) At least 1 false negative test for him (based on symptoms and timing, he would have more likely had to have had multiple false negatives).
2) The GT source who gave Ken that information knowingly hid that at least 1 person on the team had severe COVID-like symptoms (and was also likely being isolated/quarantined).

My wife is a nurse and says they see false negatives a lot. They treat based on the symptoms and report to the state anyway. South Carolina has a separate sub category they track called presumed positives and presumed COVID deaths. They are included in the data but you can also see the breakout of it.

How do the medical professionals decide between a false negative Covid case and the flu?