Time to Bury the Asterisk?

Is it time to bury the asterisk when looking at GT football?

• Yes

Votes: 164 67.8%
  • No, give CGC another asterisk year

Votes: 48 19.8%
  • No, give CGC another 2 asterisk years

Votes: 15 6.2%
  • No, give CGC another 3+ asterisk years

Votes: 15 6.2%

• Total voters

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I'd agree, those should be games we win. I would also throw in Pitt (who we should have beat and I think our team will circle that game next year) and Virginia, so that makes 5 wins at least. I wouldn't be shocked if we beat Virginia Tech and shock Miami or UNC, giving us 7 wins.
When is the last time we won all of the games we are "supposed" to win. We are not the caliber where we can go out and expect to "handle" lesser teams. Maybe NIU .... Maybe KSU. I hope at some point we get to the talent level where we can be confident in those "should win" games going in, but TBH, there are not a lot of schools that can. I would be the mortgage that we lose one (or more) of your 7 wins. Then again, we have a history of wining 1 or 2 that we are not expected to win as well. Dont see that happening against the big 3 (can dream, though), but maybe Miami or UNCheat.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I dont agree with this based on the college basketball model. It leaves the possibility of a 6 win team getting in the playoff.
Was it 2012 when 2 teams ahead of us in the division had to bow out of the ACCCG and we kept the game against FSU close. We had a 6-7 record.
It would be better if no polls were released until the 3rd week in October. All teams would have a body of work and 4 loss $ec teams wouldn't be ranked just because they were ranked high in preseason polls.
I think they were tied with us.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Folks,
reading this thread just kind of tells me how long many of you have been around college football
Since I started going to games 1969, It has always been Alabama. They had a few down years with bad coaching but that even proves that give Alabama a great coach and they are unbeatable.
Clemson has been a strong team since 1980. Have they been as good as right now, no but they are on a roll with 2 of the best QBs in the nation. Think if Herschel Walker had gone to Clemson instead...He almost did...where do you think his new Trans Am came from.
FSU rose to power with Bobby Bowden, etc

There are those teams like us, NC State, Duke, UVA, Miss State, South Carolina, that are always the next rung down. I find it interesting that some of those teams don't get a great year some times and in fact we outperform many of those teams.
Ask your self why Auburn is not always right there with Alabama.

It is pointless to try to create some rule that will quote even the field. Is Tech going to increase it's majors to include Ag, Criminal studies etc....no. We will always be limited by that and the entry requirements. We will have those great years like 1990, 2009, 2014 when the stars align.

I have also read about the idea of creating a super conference with the Alabamas, UGAs and Clemsons of the world.....guess what, we aint in it. We drop to the next rung. I don't ever want to see the game become that.

As said, things change, Clemson will drop back again and other teams will rise. Right now I see UNC maybe becoming the team in the ACC for a while. Who would have guessed FSU would have gotten so bad.
I know where he got the Trans Am and it sure wasn’t Clemson.

GTFLETCH

Banned
It is not Paul Johnsons's fault that CGC team leads the fbs in penalties and his Defense suck worse than Ted Roofs ever did. However most on this board give CGC a pass....Next year Bowl bound or bust

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It is not Paul Johnsons's fault that CGC team leads the fbs in penalties and his Defense suck worse than Ted Roofs ever did. However most on this board give CGC a pass....Next year Bowl bound or bust
More than likely with that schedule, it will be "bust". One could make a case for Tech to win only 3 games next year as UNC, Miami, Notre Dame, UGA, and Clemson are all looking like losses. If we can sweep Duke, Kennesaw, and Northern Illinois then we should get at least one more win if not two from the remaining four. In any event, Coach Collins is not going anywhere after next year bowl or no bowl. IIWII

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
More than likely with that schedule, it will be "bust". One could make a case for Tech to win only 3 games next year as UNC, Miami, Notre Dame, UGA, and Clemson are all looking like losses. If we can sweep Duke, Kennesaw, and Northern Illinois then we should get at least one more win if not two from the remaining four. In any event, Coach Collins is not going anywhere after next year bowl or no bowl. IIWII
Very true. His seat will get pretty dang hot though in that scenario.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
If he wins 6 he’s fine. 4-5 it’s warm. Another 3 win season and he’s a bad loss away from being fired and Stansbury with him. Such is the state of the game / business

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If he wins 6 he’s fine. 4-5 it’s warm. Another 3 win season and he’s a bad loss away from being fired and Stansbury with him. Such is the state of the game / business
Stansbury is not going anywhere regardless of what happens with CGC. He’s raised more money for the GTAA, and got more facilities built/updated than any AD in decades.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Well that’s not really a fair take. Do our fellow ACC teams have 6 transfers coming in? (5?, 4?, 3?...) If you factor those in, we’re a top 25 class right now.
That's a spin that I don't accept...based on past precedence from our own self promotion from being in the "top twenty five" from last year...but I will defer to the new uncertainty related to the impact of transfers that could be an unproven but exciting game changer moving forward...

That's the positive perspective...on the other hand it could be that CGC is feeling pressures from unprecedented losses and a monumentally poor record to install a quick fix to get to 6 wins and an marginal bowl invitation to buy another years grace...

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
This is just not true. Neither Stansbury nor Collins are going anywhere next year unless they choose to leave. Collins will be here at the very least 4 years, and probably 5. We should all root for his success.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I think many would be disappointed/annoyed at 6 wins, but you're right he would be fine as far as job security.

Either way though, I don't think TStan is going anywhere unless he wants to.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think many would be disappointed/annoyed at 6 wins, but you're right he would be fine as far as job security.

Either way though, I don't think TStan is going anywhere unless he wants to.
I would be fine with 6 wins. It would double the win total from the previous year and show progress. I am sure we will not be favored in 6 games next year so we would actually do better than expected.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I would be fine with 6 wins. It would double the win total from the previous year and show progress. I am sure we will not be favored in 6 games next year so we would actually do better than expected.
Interesting. I can see why you look at it that way. I guess a good follow up question is what would your expectations be the year following that?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Half our opponents will be ranked next season. If you think we will win 8+ games next year, you’ll most certainly be disappointed/annoyed.
Just going off of what coach has been selling us on. Expecting 8 wins isn't that far fetched. I also wouldn't be overly disappointed with 7. 6 is just meh.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
This is just not true. Neither Stansbury nor Collins are going anywhere next year unless they choose to leave. Collins will be here at the very least 4 years, and probably 5. We should all root for his success.
Agree we should root for success, but there’s a calculus that takes place that values a decline of fan and booster interest more than dead contract money. Another 3 win season (which is completely possible) would test that structure (see FSU, Auburn, et al). Bottom line - CGC better show some significant improvement on the field in 2021. I hope he does.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Please tell me who at Tech cares enough about football to fire Stansbury? He would be the only block for dropping football altogether!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Please tell me who at Tech cares enough about football to fire Stansbury? He would be the only block for dropping football altogether!
Tech won’t drop football now. They ACC money makes it too enticing to stay in.

No, just do average. Seven wins in football. Do ok in the other sports, but nothing great. Just meh. And the Hill and the GTAA are happy.