Time to Bury the Asterisk?

Is it time to bury the asterisk when looking at GT football?

• Yes

Votes: 164 67.8%
  • No, give CGC another asterisk year

Votes: 48 19.8%
  • No, give CGC another 2 asterisk years

Votes: 15 6.2%
  • No, give CGC another 3+ asterisk years

Votes: 15 6.2%

• Total voters

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Also why would a recruit change their top interests to exclude some of these power 5 offers over the likes of massachusetts and connecticut if they were actual offers?
Maybe because they were more interest in those specific G5 schools than those specific P5 schools? The same reason other players can place Georgia Tech as a “top interest” even when they have offers from places like Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn, etc. The default listing is alphabetical, but players can change the order based on priorities if they wish.
I guess we will just see this differently.
What is there to see differently exactly? Genuinely confused here.

Edit: the two guys you mention here, I showed their P5 offers, but again the rest are without. You can say well Vrabel was cincinnati and houston... but they also are not P5. All said, it is still very similar to our line, which was my point.
Yeah you listed *some* of their P5 offers, but ignored multiple other P5 offers and listed G5 offers instead. For Mahogany you listed Buffalo and Central Michigan, when he also had offers from Syracuse, Vandy, and Virginia. For Petrula you listed 4 P5 teams, but left out Wisconsin and Virginia. He’s another guy that had high level G5 offers in UCF. And don’t act like there isn’t a difference in high level and low level G5 teams. UCF, Memphis, Houston, and Cincinnati are on completely different levels than places like Idaho, Georgia Southern, and Western Kentucky which Tech’s OL has the majority of their G5 offers from.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Offers and stars are not the end all. You also need guys who have the talent to do what you want them to do. They need to be able to execute the schemes you want to run. The guys CGC inherited were recruited to run block for CPJs offense. They were not recruited for their pass blocking skills. Even with run blocking there are skills needed for the scheme you are trying to run. Some guys just don't fit what you want to run. You can coach all you want to but if the talent is not there to do what you want then you won't be successful. Not a knock on the coaches or players but it is just not a good fit. That is why you see the oline transfers and a true freshman starting day 1.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Yeah you listed *some* of their P5 offers, but ignored multiple other P5 offers and listed G5 offers instead. For Mahogany you listed Buffalo and Central Michigan, when he also had offers from Syracuse, Vandy, and Virginia. For Petrula you listed 4 P5 teams, but left out Wisconsin and Virginia. He’s another guy that had high level G5 offers in UCF. And don’t act like there isn’t a difference in high level and low level G5 teams. UCF, Memphis, Houston, and Cincinnati are on completely different levels than places like Idaho, Georgia Southern, and Western Kentucky which Tech’s OL has the majority of their G5 offers from.
First I listed the guy with the p5 offers, according to your own admission, in the order that the recruit changed it. South Carolina, North Carolina, Rutgers, and Penn State.

Then for the guys who have offers from Virginia, Syracuse, and Vandy, I apologise I didn't see them if what you are saying is correct, but you also can't have it both ways. You can't say the other guy should count as legit o line because he has offers from top g5 schools like Cincinnati and Houston, but then say these guys count because they had offers from P5 schools like Vandy, Syracuse, or Virginia because they are at the bottom of P5. See what I did there? And if they really had offers from these guys, why list g5 schools ahead of them in their interest level?

This is why I say we can agree to disagree.

slugboy

Staff member
Usually, in year two, you see the signs of a turnaround. I'd have liked to have seen the signs this past year, also.
HOWEVER, we had extra work on our plates in year 1 and year 2. There are causes for optimism (DE, RB in particular), and causes for concern (we're still not over our blocking issues, and we're generally getting beaten up front on defense).
On offense and on defense, if you have 10 of 11 people making their assignments, you can have a very bad day. In 2019, we had a lot of plays on offense and defense where several people were unable to make their assignment. In 2020, we had the occasional play where everyone clicked, but we had plenty where 1 or 2 fell short. From what I saw, there were more issues on defense. It's hard to see much difference, since a terrible play and a bad play both give up 7 points on defense. If we make as much progress in year 3 as we did in year two, we'll be a much better team.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Usually, in year two, you see the signs of a turnaround. I'd have liked to have seen the signs this past year, also.
HOWEVER, we had extra work on our plates in year 1 and year 2. There are causes for optimism (DE, RB in particular), and causes for concern (we're still not over our blocking issues, and we're generally getting beaten up front on defense).
On offense and on defense, if you have 10 of 11 people making their assignments, you can have a very bad day. In 2019, we had a lot of plays on offense and defense where several people were unable to make their assignment. In 2020, we had the occasional play where everyone clicked, but we had plenty where 1 or 2 fell short. From what I saw, there were more issues on defense. It's hard to see much difference, since a terrible play and a bad play both give up 7 points on defense. If we make as much progress in year 3 as we did in year two, we'll be a much better team.
We were much improved running and passing the ball this year. We are not where we need to be but I would categorize what I saw as signs of a turnaround. On defense we were without a ton of guys who got snaps on the dline last year. We played a lot of guys who were playing their first meaningful snaps this year. I was encouraged by the play of our young guys. Our pass rush improved over last year. At times we were able to stop the run. We were very inconsistent and in some games just physically outmatched. I think improvement will come with experience and s&c.
I would like to see us start games playing better on both sides of the ball. Too many times we spotted the other team a double digit lead in the first half and played much better in the second half.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well,1972, 1978, 1985, 1989,1990, 1998, 2005, 2006, 2008. Funny thing was the Tenutta years we blitzed a lot and got caught but we had lots of negative plays. 1998, we scored about 6 touchdowns on defensive fumble recoveries.

The worst 1980, 1981, 1999, 2012, 2014, 2020. Again though, this year, when your offense is crap and the defense is on the field most of the game....you are going to look like crap. Give Clemson the ball 20 times and they will score 70 points on you.
2014 - wasn’t that the year we led the conference in turnover margin? If not, I seem to recall that our defense forced a lot of turnovers which they spent a lot of time in practice in.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
2014 - wasn’t that the year we led the conference in turnover margin? If not, I seem to recall that our defense forced a lot of turnovers which they spent a lot of time in practice in.

In 2014 we were ranked 66th in DFEI. While assuredly not a great defense, it was far from the worst we've ever fielded. Conversely, the 2009 defense that everyone gushes over was ranked 84th in DFEI.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Bump.

Thought I'd see if anyone had changed their opinion after spring practice.
I voted yes, so nothing new for me. This is the year to own the results moving forward. Not saying we have hit our ceiling, but no more free passes for a team if they don't look like we have a cohesive game plan for each game and the ability to execute it. If we lose to better teams fine, that is how sports and competition works. No more excuses though on trap games or lost wins against programs with less talent.

Execution is still more important to me than results from an evaluation perspective, but progress has got to start showing up.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
No excuses next year. It’s more than reasonable to expect a competitive team in year 3. This team needs to improve in every phase, but that means we have opportunities in every phase. Particularly on defense where the fact that we ran the triple on offense is irrelevant and with Collins having built his reputation on defense, we need results.
Yep--and even the "advantage" of playing DEF vs the TO sure had no payoff in the citadel game. ug!!

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
In 2014 we were ranked 66th in DFEI. While assuredly not a great defense, it was far from the worst we've ever fielded. Conversely, the 2009 defense that everyone gushes over was ranked 84th in DFEI.

Bend don't break when it works is a high turnover forcing defense, or kick forcing defense. 2014 might have been our best version of that. However we definitely felt our lack of true pass rush when we got up on people and they carved up for yards and tds.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Bend don't break when it works is a high turnover forcing defense, or kick forcing defense. 2014 might have been our best version of that. However we definitely felt our lack of true pass rush when we got up on people and they carved up for yards and tds.

Yeah. We felt it all the way to an 11-3 season and an Orange Bowl win...