Tim Byerly -Update

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
After stumbling about, digitly speaking, for a bit, trying to figure out how to respond without sounding maudlin, I give up. Partner, I wish you had another year, but it sure looks like you are dealing with that terrible point in time that all athletes face -- it is over: the game, the competition, the locker room, the atmosphere, the tingling through the bones on game day, the joy of making a play, all of it, is over -- and are facing it straight up and head on. That may be your biggest accomplishment ever. And that, as once we would have said, is pretty damn cool. I'm not going to wish you luck. You don't need it.

slugboy

Staff member
I would love to have him play one more year on the flats, but his letter looks like it's written by someone who's ready for the next step. It's graduation time, and that's a good thing.

JacketGirl

Jolly Good Fellow
I can't imagine how proud Tim's parents are - I've never met him and I'm bursting! What an amazing representative of the Institute. I wish Tim had another year but with that kind of attitude, he will go very far in life. Good luck, Tim. Forever a Jacket.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
"...I would give anything to play one more season under you, but I feel more than prepared to enter the real world."

Says a lot in one sentence.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I love it. Thanks, Time!

I hate the NCAA's decision though. I assume it's because he transferred that they denied him, but I can't understand why.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thank you Tim, for everything. We all have our athletic careers come to end. It always hurts. Often, we don't really appreciate what we had until it is over. Obviously, that is not true in your case. It is wonderful to hear from an athlete who "gets it" and is unafraid to express his appreciation.

I want to officially welcome you to the GT letter winner fan club. I have been one since 1985 and all 30 of those years have been special. I whiffed in my final GT at bat (go figure) so it was an anti-climactic ending for me too. It doesn't matter, as a fan, I have enjoyed my GT experience my entire adult life and I suspect you will too. Go Jackets!

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Thanks Tim for everything. You were a heck of a QB. More importantly, you are a great young man! Proud that you are a yellow jacket. You will achieve many successes in life. God Bless.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I guess I understand the reasoning somewhat, but if he hadn't used his regular redshirt already, he wouldn't be needing to ask for a waiver anyway. The transfer sit out is an NCAA requirement so I don't consider that "in his control."

On another note, Ken doesn't mention Taquan in the list of guys in the backup qb mix. He's still planning on switching to qb, right?

Thirdly, I have a feeling MJ is gonna look day and night better after spring. He's just at that defining point in the qb development curve, right between rs frosh and rs soph, plus he's got a decent amount of game snaps under his belt, too. The speed of the game is not gonna sneak up on him.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
From Ken S article:
"In Byerly’s case, he sat out one season to redshirt and another as a transfer, both are which considered within an athlete’s control."

What is a situation beyond injury that would be considered not within the athlete's control? I can see the transfer sit-out being within his control because he choose to transfer. The redshirt seems to be more within control of coaching staff. Does it take 2 early season ending injuries to get a year 6?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If we're truly thinking of expanding our recruiting staff, I'd give strong consideration to Tim. Wow, could any recruit ever second guess the sincerity of his pitch? And coming from a guy who just walked the path they will soon be on.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
If we're truly thinking of expanding our recruiting staff, I'd give strong consideration to Tim. Wow, could any recruit ever second guess the sincerity of his pitch? And coming from a guy who just walked the path they will soon be on.

Would be nice for us but I get the feeling he's going to get snapped up quickly by some employer for more $$$.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Before the nd game I got to wish him well and thank him for being a ga tech football player - no matter what next year brings.

Told him to do whats best for tim.

His reply was class -looked me right in eye and said " I have loved playing for gt and hope to next year".

Will be hard to replace.
I too saw him at ND, he was with his family at the Grotto on campus praying before the game.
He is a great, great, great kid. He really is, for a guy to never have the stating role his entire career but to be so gracious to the staff and fans is incredible. Really a shame he didn't get that 6th year, wish him well.