Thoughts on UGA game rewatch

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Just going to throw in my 2cents here. If UGA loses to tech next year there's no way Richt is fired unless they lose at least 7 games.

You guys are usually pretty rational with your opinions but when it comes to UGA fantasies you get a bit foamy in the mouth.

Right. As long as he is winning 10 games a year they will stomach losing to us. If he drops to 7-8 wins a year for at least 2-3 in a row that's when his seat will get hot.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Uga firing Richt...even with 7 wins and a loss to us. Would be a bad idea. I'm a little amazed though at the across the board desire to dump Richt. I challenge all to go find a single mutt who strongly wants to keep him. Almost all I know want to go in a different direction.

If the mutts lose to us, Aubie, USCe, and bamar....the seat will be hot. Lose to UF or Tenn also...blazing hot.

The big question is how much support does Richt have from his AD and Pres. That's what will decide things. But the fans...very little desire to keep him.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Uga firing Richt...even with 7 wins and a loss to us. Would be a bad idea. I'm a little amazed though at the across the board desire to dump Richt. I challenge all to go find a single mutt who strongly wants to keep him. Almost all I know want to go in a different direction.

If the mutts lose to us, Aubie, USCe, and bamar....the seat will be hot. Lose to UF or Tenn also...blazing hot.

The big question is how much support does Richt have from his AD and Pres. That's what will decide things. But the fans...very little desire to keep him.

He has about 95% support. Richt is one of the best program managers in the business and one of the best men. (Yes the amount of arrests his team has is actually a low number compared to what it could be. At least when I knew some of the fb players)

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
He has about 95% support. Richt is one of the best program managers in the business and one of the best men. (Yes the amount of arrests his team has is actually a low number compared to what it could be. At least when I knew some of the fb players)

This is my experience too. Nearly all of my mutt friends would be content to keep him until the end of time. The only people I've met who feel otherwise are redneck crazies.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
95%???? Want to keep??? You guys obviously move in different uga circles than me. Pretty much all my friends and most of my relatives are butt sniffers. Near unanimous desire to make a change. Not pitch forks and torches ready desire for change...but a desire nonetheless. This has also been my experience discussing the issue with ransoms I talk to at social events. It surprises me honestly and I think it's typical spoiled fan think. But it's about 95% want change in my experience.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
95%???? Want to keep??? You guys obviously move in different uga circles than me. Pretty much all my friends and most of my relatives are butt sniffers. Near unanimous desire to make a change. Not pitch forks and torches ready desire for change...but a desire nonetheless. This has also been my experience discussing the issue with ransoms I talk to at social events. It surprises me honestly and I think it's typical spoiled fan think. But it's about 95% want change in my experience.
you asked support of AD and administration. That's the 95%

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not so sure I agree in this day and age. Especially with programs that have the ability to recruit really well. Would Alabama, or Ohio St fans be happy with 7 straight years of 10 win seasons that didn't have conference titles or even major bowl games? Should they be happy with it?

Happy? No. Be willing to throw away a leader with an excellent track-record to take a chance on it getting better with someone who had a few good years at a non-factory program? No again.

The confluence of things that have to occur to win a NC are legion. If you get past the winning enough, winning good enough, SoS, injuries and player flameouts there is still Chance/Fate/Luck to deal with.

A simplified list of game-specific controllable items that are directly in the head-coach's purview are recruiting, game preparation and coaching execution. St. Richt seems to have a good handle on recruiting. Averaging 10 wins a season - while in the mighty eSECpn - ain't too shabby as well.

To me these factory-fan complaints seems similar to Wall Street's obsessive focus on growth. A company markets a product, sells the product, pays a reasonable dividend, and puts money in the bank but only had 1% increase in last years sales? Dump that stock - they didn't have enough growth.

To fire a head coach who is successful 74% of the time, when 75% is generally considered god-like, to hire someone with little to no experience in the position - it boggles my mind. Seriously, who will the mutts get? If the replacement is an active coach not named Saban or Meyer, he is just as likely to win a NC as St. Richt is.

St. Richt has excellent optics for a representative of a university. There are butts in the seats. Donations are there. You cannot swing a dead cat without hitting a mutt fan. Most importantly, he has proven results that consistently win in the area most important to a university: money.

So sure, fire the guy because a 20 year old didn't drop a pass that was not intended for him with 70k people screaming at him. The next guy will always be better - some day.

My point is that most factory fans have statistically unrealistic expectations (Alabama is an outlier IMO and must have sold its soul to the devil to have had both Bryant and Saban). Given that there are many football factories (18 for sure and probably another dozen wannabees in my estimation), too many moving parts in a season and now the SEleCtion Committee to deal with - not to mention that non-factories can win NCs as well - it is ridiculous to demand a HC provide something that only one team can achieve each year.

Full disclosure: I love the mutthurt after any UGAg loss. It is probably a sin and I will have to answer for it one day. The producers at the call-in shows must all be closet GT fans because the stuff that gets on the air is wonderfully entertaining.

Go Jackets!

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Just going to throw in my 2cents here. If UGA loses to tech next year there's no way Richt is fired unless they lose at least 7 games.

You guys are usually pretty rational with your opinions but when it comes to UGA fantasies you get a bit foamy in the mouth.

3iar would be very painful for them, and if they don't make the playoffs in the next 2-3 years he is all out of excuses is what i keep hearing.

You're right, Boomer, except it has been between the ears for 40+ years. That's when it started: 71, 76, 78 were all games with ridiculous endings that went uga's way. After that the field seemed to slope their way. We had to be two or three TD's better than them to win. We were also what I would call "in phase" with them. When they were down, we were down farther like the late 80's and mid 90's. We could never keep enough consistency to break their momentum. We'd be good for a couple of years, but we couldn't maintain it and force them to play at their peak year in and year out to beat us. I believe Johnson has changed that. Every year since he's been here with one exception (2012, their best team in 35 years), the vomit eaters have had to fight for their lives with us. Sort of like splitting live oak wood with a maul, he's been hitting uga with a TO maul over and over, and last year they cracked. I can see some parallels between COFH and the Navy/ND rivalry. At Navy, Johnson banged on that much thicker wall until it cracked, and suddenly Navy started winning against them. We are 8 years deep into the TO now. It's is second even third nature to every offensive player on our team, and they came here to be cogs in that machine. Johnson is bringing that same maul to Thanksgiving this year, next year, and the year after that. The fleabags know it, and in their tiny little intellects, they know they haven't ever really stopped it. In the back of their stunted minds they hear "Listen, and understand! That Terminator Option is out there! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead."

But that's only half the story. We and they will no doubt have different teams this year, as you say, Boomer. But some things in football transcend seasons, even coaching regimes. Clemson always Clemsons. NC State always plays like demons against FSUA. Always take Boston College and the points against Notre Dame. Since he set foot on campus in 1982, when Ted Roof is on the Tech sideline we are over .500 against uga. And he was there for all three of what I would call our miracle wins: 85, 99, and 14. How can that be explained given our history with them? I don't know. I do think that last year's defense will be the worst one that we have for as long as Roof is the DC. The days of uga strolling into BDS and stealing wins is over. They will have to earn everything they get from now on.[/QU
Said perfectly. Those days are over. The game used to scare me to death. Not knowing what bs would transpire that seal Tech another loss. Not anymore, after what happened last year, I believe the tide turned in Tech's favor. Justin is setting the foundation of a run Tech has never seen.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
One thing I liked on watching the replay, the announcers early on mentioned that UGA wants to put a lot of hits on JT when he drops back because that makes him start throwing INTs. That's solid logic, except for the fact that he'd only thrown 4 INTs the entire year up to that point (11 games). That rate is up there with the best QBs in the country, btw.
I confess the arrogance of that way of coaching really steams me. And the fact that I doubt they would dumb down like that if they were not talking about Tech. Just arrogant.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Happy? No. Be willing to throw away a leader with an excellent track-record to take a chance on it getting better with someone who had a few good years at a non-factory program? No again.

The confluence of things that have to occur to win a NC are legion. If you get past the winning enough, winning good enough, SoS, injuries and player flameouts there is still Chance/Fate/Luck to deal with.

A simplified list of game-specific controllable items that are directly in the head-coach's purview are recruiting, game preparation and coaching execution. St. Richt seems to have a good handle on recruiting. Averaging 10 wins a season - while in the mighty eSECpn - ain't too shabby as well.

To me these factory-fan complaints seems similar to Wall Street's obsessive focus on growth. A company markets a product, sells the product, pays a reasonable dividend, and puts money in the bank but only had 1% increase in last years sales? Dump that stock - they didn't have enough growth.

To fire a head coach who is successful 74% of the time, when 75% is generally considered god-like, to hire someone with little to no experience in the position - it boggles my mind. Seriously, who will the mutts get? If the replacement is an active coach not named Saban or Meyer, he is just as likely to win a NC as St. Richt is.

St. Richt has excellent optics for a representative of a university. There are butts in the seats. Donations are there. You cannot swing a dead cat without hitting a mutt fan. Most importantly, he has proven results that consistently win in the area most important to a university: money.

So sure, fire the guy because a 20 year old didn't drop a pass that was not intended for him with 70k people screaming at him. The next guy will always be better - some day.

My point is that most factory fans have statistically unrealistic expectations (Alabama is an outlier IMO and must have sold its soul to the devil to have had both Bryant and Saban). Given that there are many football factories (18 for sure and probably another dozen wannabees in my estimation), too many moving parts in a season and now the SEleCtion Committee to deal with - not to mention that non-factories can win NCs as well - it is ridiculous to demand a HC provide something that only one team can achieve each year.

Full disclosure: I love the mutthurt after any UGAg loss. It is probably a sin and I will have to answer for it one day. The producers at the call-in shows must all be closet GT fans because the stuff that gets on the air is wonderfully entertaining.

Go Jackets!
That would assume that you are only measuring success in win percentage. At some point racking up wins over teams with significantly less talent than you is not going to be enough. Paul Finebaum tweeted something about Richt the other day. In this century, UGA is the only team this century in the top 10 in recruiting and in the top 10 in NFL draft picks that has not won a national title. That isn't because of luck. He doesn't have inexplicable losses every year because he is just an unlucky guy. He didn't lose to GT and not win the SEC with Stafford, Moreno, and AJ Green on the same team because he is an unlucky guy. The guy simply lacks whatever a coach needs to take their team to the next level. Like I said, it is a tough spot for fans to be in. Do you want the continued success of 9-10 win seasons pretty much every year and guaranteed good recruiting or do you want to roll the dice and take a chance on someone else who might cut out all the let down games and get you over the hump on championships? For me personally, what Richt offers would be getting old at this point.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
That would assume that you are only measuring success in win percentage. At some point racking up wins over teams with significantly less talent than you is not going to be enough. Paul Finebaum tweeted something about Richt the other day. In this century, UGA is the only team this century in the top 10 in recruiting and in the top 10 in NFL draft picks that has not won a national title. That isn't because of luck. He doesn't have inexplicable losses every year because he is just an unlucky guy. He didn't lose to GT and not win the SEC with Stafford, Moreno, and AJ Green on the same team because he is an unlucky guy. The guy simply lacks whatever a coach needs to take their team to the next level. Like I said, it is a tough spot for fans to be in. Do you want the continued success of 9-10 win seasons pretty much every year and guaranteed good recruiting or do you want to roll the dice and take a chance on someone else who might cut out all the let down games and get you over the hump on championships? For me personally, what Richt offers would be getting old at this point.

Yeah, that stat about georgie and recruiting and outcomes came from CFBMatrix. The guy who runs that site was on the radio with Finebaum or someone in early summer and really railed on georgie and Richt for that.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
An informal poll of the UGA fans I see regularly shows that most like Richt enough to keep him, but would rather dump him for a unicorn coach that can magically get them over the perceived hump they can't get over the last 20 years.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
An informal poll of the UGA fans I see regularly shows that most like Richt enough to keep him, but would rather dump him for a unicorn coach that can magically get them over the perceived hump they can't get over the last 20 years.
Thirty five years, actually...ours was 25 years ago. That always brings a smile to my face :)

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
In this century,

You mean 15 seasons? Obviously, that phrase meant much more 16 years ago than it does now. ;) However, Finebaum's point is a fact.

The guy simply lacks whatever a coach needs to take their team to the next level.

I would counter that St. Richt's two SEC championships are the 'next level'. In this century, there are lots of people in Fayetteville, Lexington, Oxford, Starkville, the Columbias, Knoxville, College Station and Nashville that may agree. IMO, there are too many things beyond what happens on a football field - thus completely beyond the control of a head coach - that goes into the National Championship game/playoff selection to be a separate next next-level. I course, I have had the luck to not follow a factory or become a unrealistic fan of one so I can hold an opinion like that. :whistle:

Additionally, only when this 'whatever' a HC needs to have can be defined and tested for, will there be an objective way to determine a programs future. Even Finebaum would have to admit that St. Richt's apparent lack of 'whatever' seems to not have hurt his program's recruiting or his ability to help guide young men into the NFL.

As to Chance/Fate/Luck - without that, the mutts 1980 natty could be Pitts and St. Dooley would still only be a mortal that coached the mutts for 25 years without a natty.

Maybe, one day the mutts will win a natty again. :vomit: Possibly it will be with another HC. If it happens within 5 years after ST. Richt gets fired/steps down/becomes AD, all the mouth-breathing fans will proclaim; I told you so. Or there could be a decade where they go through 3 HC's and suck first. :)

Right now, if CPJ had been at GT for the last 14 years, winning two ACC championships, 11 top 25 finishes - 7 in the top 10, won 74% of his games, Grant Field has a occupied rate of 95% - with the only spot obviously being opposition fans is their band, and Atlanta loved the Jackets - would the GT fan base want to fire him for lack of a natty? Would it be rational to do so?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. Do you want the continued success of 9-10 win seasons pretty much every year and guaranteed good recruiting or do you want to roll the dice and take a chance on someone else who might cut out all the let down games and get you over the hump on championships? For me personally, what Richt offers would be getting old at this point.

GT has its very own version of this debate imo in regards to baseball and CDH. Richt and Hall are doppelgangers imo.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
IMO....don't mess with CDH. He won our last ACC champ with a team few thought had a chance to do it. The guy can flat out coach and recruit. Recruiting in baseball is likely the most difficult with the way the pros snag commits and young scholar athletes. Crazy hard. Be careful what u wish for.