They Have Figured Out Paul Johnson's Offense

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
First down play calling - defenses seem to bait us into dive in GCG lane. We take bait and backers slow the bb down and db stop for 3. Then we think change the blocking and try again - they blitz and we get stuffed -- time to pass

Let's hope that we start on First down with some special plays or some misdirection that throws the defense off and gets the offense going.

I felt the pulling guard / tackle is a good option. Also run ab one way and do quick flat pass to the fast bb the other way. On a lot of plays the pursuit is so strong , if JT just didn't do the rocket toss ( without telling anyone) , he has wide open field to 10 yd gain going out of bounds.

Try something ---fast bb goes left flat - wheel route , ol unbalanced strong line , right side down block and r guard pull for either designated qb run or pass, etc.

Never mind - - it's the ol blocking and wait 3 more years till the skill guys improve.

We will always be near the bottom of college foot am when it comes to passing. We have always been near the top in rushing but what do you expect when you run it 80% of the time. I honestly think you have to be very balanced and play GREAT defense to win a NC in this day and time. Unfortunately , we have not been able to do neither and the inconsistency in not doing so has showed the result. Yes, last year was great but, how many close ball games did we have ? The ball or the call happen to go our way in those games(GSU,UGA,and VT). The same can be said with the loses we had also. Back to my original point, The Institution needs to decide whether they want a NC again is what it all boils down to. Until we starting recruiting against the big schools, I wouldn't expect nothing more than 6-8 wins a year. This is just part of being a Tech fan.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
We will always be near the bottom of college foot am when it comes to passing. We have always been near the top in rushing but what do you expect when you run it 80% of the time. I honestly think you have to be very balanced and play GREAT defense to win a NC in this day and time. Unfortunately , we have not been able to do neither and the inconsistency in not doing so has showed the result. Yes, last year was great but, how many close ball games did we have ? The ball or the call happen to go our way in those games(GSU,UGA,and VT). The same can be said with the loses we had also. Back to my original point, The Institution needs to decide whether they want a NC again is what it all boils down to. Until we starting recruiting against the big schools, I wouldn't expect nothing more than 6-8 wins a year. This is just part of being a Tech fan.

Nailed it.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck

Nor will a running QB win the Heisman. Too many QB' s play against teams with no D and put up video game passing stats and have great rushing stats.
IMO, I agree that a TO team won't win a NC this day in age. Too one dimensional. With athletes bigger, stronger, faster on D, you have to be able to be a passing threat and just not on 3rd and forever when you have to. Last year was great but everyone needs to stop comparing this team to last year.
Blow out the cupcakes and look what happens when we play real teams.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
One of those disadvantages is that it requires very precise execution to be effective. Very precise timing and spacing between all the moving parts on every play is critical. Just a fraction of a second behind or half yard out of place can be the difference between a huge gain and a loss and this assumes you know your assignment which we don't. This is why I insisted in the offseason that our offense is not "plug and play". The evidence I used to support this idea was how long it took our skill guys last year to become effective. Now, it is further evidenced by the new skill guys struggling.
This is so on target in my opinion.
What makes this offense effective is the exact thing that can make it fall apart if not done correctly.

I think the "plug and play" idea was based on two things. (1) The offensive line was good enough to allow a wider margin of errors for guys who were going to be learning the first few games. (2) The defense would be better meaning less pressure on the offense to score every time. I for one never would have predicted that the offensive line would regress so far this season. That seemed to create a domino effect with all the other positions that were under performing.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Nor will a running QB win the Heisman. Too many QB' s play against teams with no D and put up video game passing stats and have great rushing stats.
IMO, I agree that a TO team won't win a NC this day in age. Too one dimensional. With athletes bigger, stronger, faster on D, you have to be able to be a passing threat and just not on 3rd and forever when you have to. Last year was great but everyone needs to stop comparing this team to last year.
Blow out the cupcakes and look what happens when we play real teams.
I disagree. Last year proves the offense is more than capable with the right players and sometimes that just means experienced players. Give us a decent defense last year and we beat UNC and FSU, some of the close wins are blowouts and we make the playoffs.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This is so on target in my opinion.
What makes this offense effective is the exact thing that can make it fall apart if not done correctly.

I think the "plug and play" idea was based on two things. (1) The offensive line was good enough to allow a wider margin of errors for guys who were going to be learning the first few games. (2) The defense would be better meaning less pressure on the offense to score every time. I for one never would have predicted that the offensive line would regress so far this season. That seemed to create a domino effect with all the other positions that were under performing.
If Mason hadn't graduated, I doubt we have the regression. He was the glue that held the line together and he was the guy we ran behind when we had to have a yard. We all knew he was a great player, but he was much, much more than that. He was the "key stone" of the arch.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
But when someone says, "They have figured out CPJs offense" I think they are disrespecting CPJ and his knowledge of the game. And I think it is a narrow minded statement that reveals one thing: That person's lack of faith CPJ as our coach.
Yeah, tend to agree.

I always wonder why nobody ever says, "They have figured out (Saban's, Richt's, Brile's, Harbaugh's, Meyer's etc.) offense." Truth is every one of these offenses has been "figured out." The problem is not figuring out an offense, the problem is executing the defensive plan.

Yeah, it always sounds like some people want to put CPJ at the kid's table for coaches were are not smart enough to know that their system does not work against the big boys. I guarantee you most of the teams that lose to Alabama know exactly what Alabama is going to do on offense but cannot stop it because of personnel.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, tend to agree.

I always wonder why nobody ever says, "They have figured out (Saban's, Richt's, Brile's, Harbaugh's, Meyer's etc.) offense." Truth is every one of these offenses has been "figured out." The problem is not figuring out an offense, the problem is executing the defensive plan.

Yeah, it always sounds like some people want to put CPJ at the kid's table for coaches were are not smart enough to know that their system does not work against the big boys. I guarantee you most of the teams that lose to Alabama know exactly what Alabama is going to do on offense but cannot stop it because of personnel.

They have figured out Saban's (Kiffin's) offense lol..

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I disagree. Last year proves the offense is more than capable with the right players and sometimes that just means experienced players. Give us a decent defense last year and we beat UNC and FSU, some of the close wins are blowouts and we make the playoffs.

But we didn't. and will never know.
And I don't think they would have made it out of the first round.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, tend to agree.

^This.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, tend to agree.

And to add to what you are saying, I get frustrated on Saturdays when it doesn't go out way. But I have to keep in mind that when I question why did we run that play it may have been the perfect play call if it had been executed correctly.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Exactly, he chose to come to GT because he could play qb. But that's the same thing as saying he came to GT because of the offense. The offense allows him to play qb.

Yea that's what I meant.
The other guy said he didn't go to UA bc they didn't run the TO which is wrong.