They Have Figured Out Paul Johnson's Offense

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
"They have figured out Paul Johnson's Offense"

I have heard this comment along with many others thrown around since 2008. And I heard it again Saturday after the Duke game. Fans don't like to lose and the first person "they" (we're not all this way) blame is CPJ and his offense. And I'm sick and tired of it. And if we lose again... well I'll hear it again I'm sure.

But if you are a GT fan then by God BE A GT FAN!

Adversity has struck! Stand up and be a GT Fan!

Just because we lose or the offense gets stalled by a defense does not mean CPJ has lost his edge or the offense no longer works. It means we got beat in a football game and scored less points. That's it. Plain and simple.

If we truly have only 5 plays in our playbook (which is another misnomer) then why the hell did it take expert defensive coordinators so long to figure out???

Our offense has so many variations of a single play. It's EXECUTION.

Defensive coordinators have good players and good game plans. And, sometimes those good players and good game plans win out over our good players and our good game plans.

2013: Bud Foster had a great game plan against us and our offense did not perform well.
2014: We played well and won. Did Bud Foster Unfigure Out Paul Johnson's Offense???

Auburn: Everyone raves about Rhett Lashlee. Everyone was ready to hang CPJ and go hire this dude as HC before the 2014 season. Auburn began the season at #6. Now they are 2-2 and unranked. Oh, well I guess they have figured out Rhett Lashlee's offense!

Game plans and execution. Game plans and execution. We are not executing. Period.

We have one of the best head coaches in all of college football. Ever. Be thankful.

We are 2-2.
We are growing as a team. We are learning from mistakes and correcting them.
The sky is not falling.

GO JACKETS! THWG!

I have heard this comment along with many others thrown around since 2008. And I heard it again Saturday after the Duke game. Fans don't like to lose and the first person "they" (we're not all this way) blame is CPJ and his offense. And I'm sick and tired of it. And if we lose again... well I'll hear it again I'm sure.

Just because we lose or the offense gets stalled by a defense does not mean CPJ has lost his edge or the offense no longer works. It means we got beat in a football game and scored less points. That's it. Plain and simple.

If we truly have only 5 plays in our playbook (which is another misnomer) then why the hell did it take expert defensive coordinators so long to figure out???

Defensive coordinators have good players and good game plans. And, sometimes those good players and good game plans win out over our good players and our good game plans.

2013: Bud Foster had a great game plan against us and our offense did not perform well.
2014: We played well and won. Did Bud Foster Unfigure Out Paul Johnson's Offense???

Auburn: Everyone raves about Rhett Lashlee. Everyone was ready to hang CPJ and go hire this dude as HC before the 2014 season. Auburn began the season at #6. Now they are 2-2 and unranked. Oh, well I guess they have figured out Rhett Lashlee's offense!

Game plans and execution. Game plans and execution. We are not executing. Period.

We have one of the best head coaches in all of college football. Ever. Be thankful.

We are 2-2.
The sky is not falling.

GO JACKETS! THWG!

Preach it, brother. With you all the way

nod

Ramblin' Wreck

Add Oregon to that list, they have lost two games and got held to 20 point by Utah. Nothing to do with personal, DC have figured out their offense.

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
I really think this is less a problem than it used to be. The amount of CPJ butthurt is pretty low, because reasonable Tech fans all concede your main points. At least, you don't really hear this **** from within the fanbase.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
What you described right here is the reason so many coaches just take the low-risk/low-reward path and nobody wants to do anything different. If you are different, every loss puts the focus on what you do differently, as if that's the only reason you can lose. If you do the same thing as everybody else, you can point to the players when you lose and it takes the heat off the coach. But with us every loss is a referendum on our offense. It's just frustrating as hell.
On this same vein, why is any NFL coach going for 1 after TDs? The stats clearly show that you have a better than 50% shot of converting a 2 pt attempt, and now the 1 point kick is no longer a gimme.

GTMom

Ramblin' Wreck
What you described right here is the reason so many coaches just take the low-risk/low-reward path and nobody wants to do anything different. If you are different, every loss puts the focus on what you do differently, as if that's the only reason you can lose. If you do the same thing as everybody else, you can point to the players when you lose and it takes the heat off the coach. But with us every loss is a referendum on our offense. It's just frustrating as hell.
On this same vein, why is any NFL coach going for 1 after TDs? The stats clearly show that you have a better than 50% shot of converting a 2 pt attempt, and now the 1 point kick is no longer a gimme.
Well said

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Omg, I want to like this 100 times. Co-sign on all fronts.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

We are 2-2.
The sky is not falling.

GO JACKETS! THWG!
Well, well, figured it out have they? Let's see how well some of those doing the figuring would do if they were a corner back and got business end of a crack back block. End of speculation about figuring. Just execute, play loose, and have fun. Let's see if our guys can rise to the challenge of improving EVERY week from here on out. Then, we will see who has figured out what.

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
You know, one can be a GT fan but not necessarily a CPJ fan. I personally like him as a coach and have learned to appreciate the offense (though it isn't my favorite, it can be very effective) I think we are going to get better this year. But he isn't perfect and can be questioned by fans who are good fans.
Just my 2 cents.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Agree with you Mike. He ain't perfect. He ain't mistake free. He's made some calls I disagreed with. Other offenses can be just as effective.l as his spread O. But he is a helluva good coach and his scheme is highly effective. What I will debate are arguments to the contrary.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You know, one can be a GT fan but not necessarily a CPJ fan. I personally like him as a coach and have learned to appreciate the offense (though it isn't my favorite, it can be very effective) I think we are going to get better this year. But he isn't perfect and can be questioned by fans who are good fans.
Just my 2 cents.

Fwiw, I don't think most have any problem with fans who question the coach unless they post like you're stupid if you disagree, are unwilling to discuss their reasons, or unwilling to admit an emotional reaction if that's what it is.

FatPat

Jolly Good Fellow
This is the only offense that 3 star players can play as a team- and, kick the crap out of 5 star players! No superstars, no next all worlds: GT just equals = solid education, team play, fan play. Another words together we swarm! Kids that come play at Tech are looking at 40 years and not 4 years!
NUFF SAID!

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
We're extremely young and inexperienced in our backfield which is something we have never had since CPJ has been here. Give it time we'll get better, we just need the light to come on.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We're extremely young and inexperienced in our backfield which is something we have never had since CPJ has been here. Give it time we'll get better, we just need the light to come on.

The worst thing about this situation is that we are wasting a year of having Justin Thomas