There is still a chance

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Oh, yes it is. It always is. Whatever happens, happens, but we ALL need to support the team, period. I'm "not sure" I understand what you mean by saying you're "not sure" optimism is best. You hoping we lose, or what? Spit it out.

Supporting the team and being optimistic we’re going to win are two entirely different things. I’m sure Alcorn State fans supported the Braves, but few if any of them were optimistic that they’d beat us.

And I personally was not optimistic that we would beat Clemson. But I did not hope we’d lose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jmonty71

Banned
The ACC is general is a crap he this year .
Next week GT goes on a winstreak and becomes bowl eligible!
LoserVille looked like cap
Vpsu lost to my alma..they were winless
unCheat is bad.
Puke will be a good game here in ATl.
Let's get this train rolling!
We put 21 on the board against the #2 team in college football...

#BeatBGU
Yeah... We aren't exactly burning up the scoreboard. All those team you listed? We can lose to. We keep fumbling the ball over, we'll be lucky to win 1 more game. I have said it many times, we beat ourselves. We beat ourselves against USF and Pitt. Now, we probably would of still lost to Clemson, but the score would at least been respectable. We can beat every team on the schedule, yet lose to every team on the schedule.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We will probably run the option to improve that part of the game against a lesser opponent. What we really need is to practice passing, reads and better routes. I am afraid PJ thinks we just need more work on the option. I hope TO and even Graham can get some PT.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
We will probably run the option to improve that part of the game against a lesser opponent. What we really need is to practice passing, reads and better routes. I am afraid PJ thinks we just need more work on the option. I hope TO and even Graham can get some PT.

We DO need more work on the option. We have run so little true triple option this year, it's ridiculous. I think some of that is a result of losing KB. I think he and TM had some mesh chemistry. That is difficult to get together on.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
My caveat before I write this: I think GT is mediocre to bad as a team RIGHT NOW, but I also think the possibility is very real that we improve as this season unfolds. Here are my current thoughts on the remaining games:

BGSU. WIN We win this one big. BG has one of the worst rushing defenses in the nation, and Miami, who has one of the worst rushing offenses, just lit them up. I think CPJ and GT tee off on them this Saturday.

UL WIN UL isn't a good team. This is a very winnable game for GT, and I think we'll pull it out.It will be our first road win since 2016, and the team will be re-energized.

Duke TOSS-UP W Duke's schedule strength is horrible. Their only quality win right now is actually Army. (NW just lost to Akron and Baylor should be a B12 doormat again) Add in the revenge factor and I could see GT pulling out a close W here.

VT TOSS-UP W VT isn't good. Their win over FSU lost it's shine and the ODU loss is damning. What's worse for them, their starting QB fractured his ankle in the game and is out indefinitely for surgery and recovery. I am only conceding the toss up status as Foster has historically played us well on D. I think we win this game though.

UNC WIN Another game against another bad team. UNC will be hunting for a coach this winter. This loss might be the one that gets their current coach fired.

Miami TOSS-UP L I think we can beat Miami. I think we SHOULD beat Miami. I am utterly convinced Miami isn't a good team yet. I am also convinced we are cursed against Miami. I think the guys ride into this one flying high on the backs of a 5 game winning streak and stumble early, do almost enough to recover, and lose anyways. GT winning this game would not shock me at all.

UVA TOSS UP W This ones on our turf. The Charlottesville curse doesn't apply at BDS@HGF. We win this one with a dominating defensive effort as our players finally begin to click in CNWs new system.

uga L My heart hurts to type this, but uga is most likely making the CFP again this year. I don't see us derailing that.

Again, this is painting a somewhat rosy picture at this point, but I said at the beginning of the year I thought GT was an 8-4 football team with a 9-3 upside and a 6-6 floor. I still see a path forward for 8-4, but 7-5 or 6-6 is most likely.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
True the ACC is a Train wreck but CPJ has to win his team back first.

It starts at the top and his captains aren’t producing. That trickle down effects the team. It has to start at talent and getting the most talented players on the field first and foremost. The players see and know who the guys are that have that ability.

Put the best talent on the field then develop and scheme around what they good at currently. It looks like we have high character guys starting or getting major playing time that the team really likes but aren’t athletically talented enough to be consistently effective while we have young guys who have the “it” but aren’t on the field enough. That has to change.
I agree. When PJ put T.M. back at QB starting the second half I just had to scratch my head and say "what the hell "?

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, that's all I have, "hope". But there's reason for hope. Arguably, we could be 3-1 if not for our atrocious special teams. Two KO returns against South Florida accounted for more than the margin of defeat. And against Pitt - a missed FG and extra point, combined with the fact that we went for two because of the missed point and that adds up to the margin of defeat. Not saying that isn't part of the game, or that there isn't more we have to be concerned about. But we weren't blown out and we should be competitive against the rest of our conference schedule, so like you said, there is "hope".
I'm sorry, but I gotta say it. You are sounding just like PJ defenders regarding last seasons record. "If not for", "if only" "if that had not happened", "if our guy had not slipped" "if we had just made one block", "if the b-back didn't fumble". I could go on, but.....

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don’t quibble with your prediction. Query: What does Duke have that we do not have?
A ridiculously easy schedule. You know, sort of like we should have. We'd likely be 4-0 too if we had played the early part of their schedule. And we'd probably still have Benson.

Btw, let's hope that Tstan is working on something like this for us. Why, for instance, aren't we playing Rice?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
My caveat before I write this: I think GT is mediocre to bad as a team RIGHT NOW, but I also think the possibility is very real that we improve as this season unfolds. Here are my current thoughts on the remaining games:

BGSU. WIN We win this one big. BG has one of the worst rushing defenses in the nation, and Miami, who has one of the worst rushing offenses, just lit them up. I think CPJ and GT tee off on them this Saturday.

UL WIN UL isn't a good team. This is a very winnable game for GT, and I think we'll pull it out.It will be our first road win since 2016, and the team will be re-energized.

Duke TOSS-UP W Duke's schedule strength is horrible. Their only quality win right now is actually Army. (NW just lost to Akron and Baylor should be a B12 doormat again) Add in the revenge factor and I could see GT pulling out a close W here.

VT TOSS-UP W VT isn't good. Their win over FSU lost it's shine and the ODU loss is damning. What's worse for them, their starting QB fractured his ankle in the game and is out indefinitely for surgery and recovery. I am only conceding the toss up status as Foster has historically played us well on D. I think we win this game though.

UNC WIN Another game against another bad team. UNC will be hunting for a coach this winter. This loss might be the one that gets their current coach fired.

Miami TOSS-UP L I think we can beat Miami. I think we SHOULD beat Miami. I am utterly convinced Miami isn't a good team yet. I am also convinced we are cursed against Miami. I think the guys ride into this one flying high on the backs of a 5 game winning streak and stumble early, do almost enough to recover, and lose anyways. GT winning this game would not shock me at all.

UVA TOSS UP W This ones on our turf. The Charlottesville curse doesn't apply at BDS@HGF. We win this one with a dominating defensive effort as our players finally begin to click in CNWs new system.

uga L My heart hurts to type this, but uga is most likely making the CFP again this year. I don't see us derailing that.

Again, this is painting a somewhat rosy picture at this point, but I said at the beginning of the year I thought GT was an 8-4 football team with a 9-3 upside and a 6-6 floor. I still see a path forward for 8-4, but 7-5 or 6-6 is most likely.
Great...then next year when all those seniors graduate we'll be bett.....oh, wait.....

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
True the ACC is a Train wreck but CPJ has to win his team back first.

It starts at the top and his captains aren’t producing. That trickle down effects the team. It has to start at talent and getting the most talented players on the field first and foremost. The players see and know who the guys are that have that ability.

Put the best talent on the field then develop and scheme around what they good at currently. It looks like we have high character guys starting or getting major playing time that the team really likes but aren’t athletically talented enough to be consistently effective while we have young guys who have the “it” but aren’t on the field enough. That has to change.
Now, who sees the players pretty much every day and knows whether they are more likely to excel or screw up? Who has a staff that has the job of putting the best we have on the field? Whose job depends on this?

Posts like this puzzle me. There are two things we can be sure of. One is that the coaches want to win and will do what they can to insure we do. That requires knowledge of the team's balance between athletic skill and game experience; talent alone won't make the nut. The second is that the fans in the stands are clueless about pretty much everything that pertains to the team on the field.

I express opinions here a lot, but I don't often call out decisions about who plays. That would be because I'm pretty much clueless and I know it. I am especially careful about posts that call for putting players with little experience on the field. Three reasons:

a) I want them to get some idea of what they are doing first,

b) I know very well that if young, inexperienced players are put on the field and we loose (as we would) that the coaching staff will be blamed for it more vehemently then they are at present, and finally,

c) The fan base is almost uniquely unsuited for making decisions about the long range health of the program.

Well, enough.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry, but I gotta say it. You are sounding just like PJ defenders regarding last seasons record. "If not for", "if only" "if that had not happened", "if our guy had not slipped" "if we had just made one block", "if the b-back didn't fumble". I could go on, but.....

No, you misunderstand me. All I'm saying is that there is hope because we weren't blown out. I'm not making excuses for being 1-3, and as I said, there are other issues besides the poor special teams play. The thrust of my remark was solely focused on the fact that we aren't so far away from being competitive that we should just throw in the towel. It has nothing to do with whether I support PJ, and in fact, I have some serious doubts about our coaching. I'm just saying there's a possibility that we could turn it around.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Louisville is really the game that decides it for us. We beat Louisville and Upset Duke at home, (Man I hope I never say us beating Duke at home is an upset ever again) we could very easily finish 7-5. Miami and UGA look like they will handle us, but to me VT, UVA, UNC are all toss ups. If Tech makes a bowl this year I think Paul stays if not who knows what will happen. Making a bowl is still VERY do-able.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Louisville is really the game that decides it for us. We beat Louisville and Upset Duke at home, (Man I hope I never say us beating Duke at home is an upset ever again) we could very easily finish 7-5. Miami and UGA look like they will handle us, but to me VT, UVA, UNC are all toss ups. If Tech makes a bowl this year I think Paul stays if not who knows what will happen. Making a bowl is still VERY do-able.

I agree. I’m going to the Louisville game? Anybody else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I understand what you’re saying, but if we’re looking for a game that points to whether we will be Bowl eligible, it’s Duke.

Louisville is bad right now, they would get housed by South Florida and Pitt would beat them soundly. Beating Louisville doesn’t mean much, losing to them would mean no where near a bowl game. Decisive if we lose, not decisive if we win.

That being said, with our luck, I’m sure a ball will hit off of a helmet and ricochet into a Louisville player’s hands at some point.