The sun is rising...

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Me too. Plus I plan on ramping up my $ support now that the previous experiment has failed. And I don't understand Tech fans either. If you truly understand Tech it was obvious from the beginning that this would fail spectacularly. The one that most perplexes me is TStan. He should have known better. Its like we are no better than all the other emotional fan bases with a complete lack of logic. CGC was a one legged chair and had no plan to counter Tech's inherent weaknesses.

You have to maximizes your strengths and minimize your weaknesses. TStand and CGC did neither. So sad what complete destruction they did to the football program and it was so predictable.

I am exited for the future and Please God can we get a coach who can actually coach.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
And an AD that connects with the bulk of the fan base for fund raising. I thought TStan was actually headed in the right direction from this perspective.
I would have to disagree about Stansbury connecting with the bulk of the fan base. Our next AD needs to connect with fans all around the state of Georgia, not just the metro Atlanta area. Just my opinion, but I think he gave up the rest of the state to Uga and others.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I would have to disagree about Stansbury connecting with the bulk of the fan base. Our next AD needs to connect with fans all around the state of Georgia, not just the metro Atlanta area. Just my opinion, but I think he gave up the rest of the state to Uga and others.
You are right, I was unclear. I was more referring to him being a better fund raiser. But there is a huge opportunity for substantial additional fundraising by connecting with the average fan that he failed at

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Being I guess what you call a sidewalk fan because I graduated from Southern Tech not Georgia Tech I not sure I understand some on here.
It seems like the new President is someone who seems to care about Tech and Tech sports. And I understand that it's fun to talk about who could be the next Head Coach. But I don't think that decision may not come till the end of the season, and we have a new AD.
So right now, we have an interim Head coach CBK. I also understand that lots don't care for CBK (and sad to say I was one) But just maybe it was not all him but the way CGC run practice.
So I guess what I'm saying is lets get behind the team and CBK and see how it goes the next 8 games. I'm sure Clemson didn't think Dado would work out when they named him interim head coach. I'm not saying CBK will work out but I have to feel he will try. Lets give him the new AD and the President a chance to see what they do after the season. support the team.
I was very anti-Key also. The OL performance over the last 3+ years raised substantial concerns. I wouldn't say I'm thrilled to see him as interim HC as @85Escape is, but his presser yesterday gave me hope that maybe he'll be ok. He said the right things. Cabrera and Neville tagged him, so he atleast deserves his shot. Personally I'd be excited to see him succeed & prove me wrong.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I was very anti-Key also. The OL performance over the last 3+ years raised substantial concerns. I wouldn't say I'm thrilled to see him as interim HC as @85Escape is, but his presser yesterday gave me hope that maybe he'll be ok. He said the right things. Cabrera and Neville tagged him, so he atleast deserves his shot. Personally I'd be excited to see him succeed & prove me wrong.
I was starting to worry it was going to be Thacker. :)
Seriously, it would be great if Key could pull off some upsets, get to a minor bowl, and the staff stays intact.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
I am 100% behind Key, and let’s be clear. If this guy can turn things around mid season, then he gets serious consideration as HC going forward.

This is the difference between being manager and staff. Key may not have been up to snuff as staff, but who is to say he wouldn’t be an excellent HC/manager? I have seen many people who made good managers that kinda were unachieving on the floor, and also good floor workers that were horrible as managers. It’s a knack some just have IMO. I have high hopes that maybe he is a diamond in the rough.

I recall how O’Leary was brought in under Lewis and everybody knew there was more than one reason. But it really took him 2 years to get us to a reasonable team. There was not much he could do with what he was handed at the time (3 games I think), so even if Key can’t find a win soon I don’t place blame on him.

What are the chances Key can do the same As O’Leary in 3 year? Should we discount him out of hand? I’m not sure we should, he came from the ”School of Saban” so my bet is he can be an effective HC, all those guys seem to thrive. Sure, interview everyone, but when you start to look at salary, he might be our best bet Considering what others may ask for.

I am behind him 100% and that is a week removed from being so apathetic about the program that I swore I would not go to another game 5 hours away until a change was made. I’m already considering another trip to Atlanta.

I think we should consider Key as a legit candidate, and if we can’t get Chadwell or maybe Freeze, then passing up on Key to get O’Brian is gonna piss me off to no end.

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
I am 100% behind Key, and let’s be clear. If this guy can turn things around mid season, then he gets serious consideration as HC going forward.

This is the difference between being manager and staff. Key may not have been up to snuff as staff, but who is to say he wouldn’t be an excellent HC/manager? I have seen many people who made good managers that kinda were unachieving on the floor, and also good floor workers that were horrible as managers. It’s a knack some just have IMO. I have high hopes that maybe he is a diamond in the rough.

I recall how O’Leary was brought in under Lewis and everybody knew there was more than one reason. But it really took him 2 years to get us to a reasonable team. There was not much he could do with what he was handed at the time (3 games I think), so even if Key can’t find a win soon I don’t place blame on him.

What are the chances Key can do the same As O’Leary in 3 year? Should we discount him out of hand? I’m not sure we should, he came from the ”School of Saban” so my bet is he can be an effective HC, all those guys seem to thrive. Sure, interview everyone, but when you start to look at salary, he might be our best bet Considering what others may ask for.

I am behind him 100% and that is a week removed from being so apathetic about the program that I swore I would not go to another game 5 hours away until a change was made. I’m already considering another trip to Atlanta.

I think we should consider Key as a legit candidate, and if we can’t get Chadwell or maybe Freeze, then passing up on Key to get O’Brian is gonna piss me off to no end.
Key also had the toughest job transitioning the line with the roster that he inherited, and building an OL takes longer.

JacketFan137

Banned

historically plenty of assistants from bad staffs have ended up being good. dabo was the assistant in a similar role before he took over for example.

i think if he can win 4 more games, keep games close within reason (i don’t think it matters if we have chadwell, deion, leipold, key, paul johnson or collins, we probably couldn’t keep uga within 28 points this year), and we have less dumb things (blocked punts, delay of games after timeouts, bad penalties) he can earn himself a legit interview

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
How long will it take to correct the unforced errors this team has been making for the last four years? How long will it take for the coaching staff to learn how to use timeouts and make in game adjustments? How long will it take for the team to start giving full effort for an entire game?

There were enough wins on this schedule to get to a bowl game if we had just handled the above issues.

"We’re fixing to find out a lot"

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I was starting to worry it was going to be Thacker. :)
Seriously, it would be great if Key could pull off some upsets, get to a minor bowl, and the staff stays intact.
Both those guys plus Long are going to be watched closely. If old guy was the issue, then there should be a rapid reversal. Yeah, we won't be world beaters, but we should stop looking like numbskulls on gameday. Things like our best RB getting only getting 40% of the RB carries, not being able to punt without it getting blocked, loafing lineman getting more snaps, etc. They should all be things of the past.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

I'm curious what in your mind makes Brent Key a better candidate for a head coaching job than Bill O'Brien?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The next 2 games will be "interesting". However, the bye week will come at a good time, IMO. I predict we will lose a close game to Pitt, but beat Dook and be 2-4 at the bye. I believe Key will start to instill a sense of discipline, getting back to basics ( wrapping up tackling, minimize penalties, fix special teams, etc.). The players will breathe a sigh of relief, IMO, and look forward to a fresh start with Key. They had to have felt the build up to CGC getting fired. I am feeling hopeful that with Cabrera we will will make good, thought out, hires for AD and HC to put us "back in the game".:buzz:(y)
I stumbled across a YouTube video of Collins's introductory press conference. Stansfield's performance was enough to make me feel sorry for Collins. My god, it was pathetic, a rambling how-great-I-art recounting of something or other, I was never sure what, while Collins had to sit uncomfortably next to him wondering when the subject would turn to him. Just awful and unprofessional and at the end vaguely mysterious about why he bothered. The AD should have been gone long ago.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I'm not a huge fan of Key. The O line play has been bad and is still bad, and he has a past, when he was at UCF, of being one of the leading negative recruiters against Tech. I don't think he is the long term answer.
However ...
I think he will bring a semblance of preparing to win at practice that may not have been there before. Hopefully, he's taken notes, mental or otherwise, on game management. Hopefully, if he's unsure of that, he's asking for guidance and tips from folks willing to help him.
I am now more encouraged, much more so, about the remainder of the season than I was at the start of it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I wouldn't put any blame on Key if he can't get this thing turned around, but realistically he has one shot and that's this year.

Agree there's a difference between being staff and manager, and a staff member may prove to be a better manager than assistant. O'Leary was a better HC than DC.

But Key gets one shot. It may not be completely fair, but it's the way it is.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I am 100% excited about GT football again. Whatever happens in our remaining games it won't be the embarrassing s**t show that it has been for the last 3+ seasons. We know the talent is there to achieve better results, and I am very optimistic that the change at the top gives us a better chance to let our guys be successful. This is addition by subtraction. How will CBK do ? I don't know but I have a sneaky feeling that it will be better than we expect, and I haven't felt that way since the Clemson game in 2019.

Go Jackets !!!