The second half

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The off season is pretty rotten for football message boards, ain't it? Anyway, I was shaking my head in wonder for the umpteenth time at the thought of a Georgia Tech offensive line blowing huge holes in the defensive lines of Georgia, Florida State, and Mississippi State. If I hadn't have seen it myself, I would swear I would wake to find I had dreamed it. But the thing is, we didn't do a whole lot of that in the first half of those games. Almost all those plays where we gashed the big holes in the interior and the B backs bulled their way through were in the second half.

I would most likely attribute that to PJ's half time adjustments. But my perception is that many years we have played better first halves and faded in the second rather than the other way around. If PJ is really that great at second half strategy, wouldn't it have always been this way? Or was it more a case of the Tech offense keeping the ball so long and pounding the run plays so long that the defensive lines were too tired to stay sharp? Any thoughts on all that?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The off season is pretty rotten for football message boards, ain't it? Anyway, I was shaking my head in wonder for the umpteenth time at the thought of a Georgia Tech offensive line blowing huge holes in the defensive lines of Georgia, Florida State, and Mississippi State. If I hadn't have seen it myself, I would swear I would wake to find I had dreamed it. But the thing is, we didn't do a whole lot of that in the first half of those games. Almost all those plays where we gashed the big holes in the interior and the B backs bulled their way through were in the second half.

I would most likely attribute that to PJ's half time adjustments. But my perception is that many years we have played better first halves and faded in the second rather than the other way around. If PJ is really that great at second half strategy, wouldn't it have always been this way? Or was it more a case of the Tech offense keeping the ball so long and pounding the run plays so long that the defensive lines were too tired to stay sharp? Any thoughts on all that?
All I know is what I read, and as I think I posted before, the guy who does the Navy football board, The Birddog, is I believe a former Navy player -- before Johnson -- and covered Navy during Johnson's time. After his hire at Tech, his only warning? "Get ready for some really boring first halves." Meaning Johnson made his adjustments and Navy would roll. As has Tech. 10 of 14 first possessions of the second half this season resulting in TDs kind of tell the story. MSU for instance: for much of the half, the option was discarded and he ran dive plays with drive blocking off tackle, often bouncing outside. I don't know but I would guess he found them cheating their linebackers inside and used WRs and Abacks to block down on them. In addition to what he sees he obviously has some really good spotting upstairs.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Went to Clemson game - to watch our oline verses thier DL. What great talent they had on line and rest of defense. The pregame drill they did had me worried - used some quick scout team types to simulate cut blocking - the clemson defenders quickly neutralized them and then pursued. I was worried. During the game however I saw how much larger our OL is since I saw us play Airforce in Shrevport. Our guys really engaged the clemson line and we're not quickly discarded. Sure we did not run wild , but it set the bar very high as to our potential. I saw the ACC and Orange bowl and it was clear we were " Seasoned" by playing Clemson.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think that depth allowed us to rotate guys more, keeping them fresher in the second half. In past years, it seemed to me that our OL finished some games on fumes.

Also, I think we mixed up our blocking more this year. As DLs hung back to counter our cut blocks, we hit them high. We could do that more this year because of our talent is my guess.

I'm not an OL expert, so take my guesses fwiw.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My turn to offer an opinion.

I think that defending against Tech's offense while taking on a good disciplined offensive line takes a toll mentally and physically on the defensive line. The typical defender has to wonder on every play whether his legs are going to be cut out from under him or is he going to be left unblocked and suddenly have to make a nano second decision about what to do. Or is he going to have the guy across from him suddenly drive right into his chest and knock him back five yards? Or is going to get trapped or double teamed? It has got to take a toll.

I think some defensive lines are able to hang in there for a while on sheer adrenaline. But slowly they just run out of steam or they start making mistakes. A lot of the plays CPJ seems to run early in a game look like they are designed to do two things, figure out how the defense is going to react to certain plays, and to set the defense up for plays later in the game by giving them a particular look or blocking pattern which suddenly changes to devastating effect.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
For UGA and MSST yes 2nd half we dominated, but for FSU, we dominated in the first half and pretty much fell short in the 2nd half.

If you watch the first 3 drives vs FSU and the 3rd quarter vs MSST, you will wonder how did we ever lose a game. We were clicking on all cylinders.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I've seen trout fishing guides work a stream the way CPJ works a ball game. They start off by trying the basic flies and patterns. They catch a couple here and there, hit different types of water. Then they pull out some specific fly, pull a leg off it, tie on a piece of red thread, attach a nymph, and begin the slaughter. It's a mystery to me (a novice, infrequent trout fisher), but their lifetime of trout fishing leads them to the right lure.

For a few years in his tenure, CPJ didn't have enough flies in his tackle box and could not fish how he wanted. I think late last year, he had almost the full selection, and he caught some big ones.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I think everyone in this thread is making some great points.

Our first possession or two are typically pretty vanilla. CPJ is trying to figure out how they'll defend us. Then we make an adjustment or two (primarily through play-calling), and play the rest of the first half.

I believe that CPJ intentionally saves some of the more interesting adjustments (blocking and scheme) that he could make in the 2nd quarter for after halftime. This is why we typically play so strong in the 3rd quarter... He doesn't want to show his cards too soon.

If I were a DC playing Tech, I would go into the first half with one scheme (and adjustments), and come out int the second half with a completely different approach (and adjustments).

/

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Guys, could it be ...

1. We weren't that much more successful against these teams on offense than we've been in years past. We scored a lot of points on these teams regardless of what half it was when we played them before ... The biggest difference being our perception because we WON the game(s) (because of a field goal or interception, etc) or different perception because the games in question were all part of a very successful run in the last part of a very successful year?

2. That it seemed much more dramatic because we were blowing these teams up with runs through the line rather than on the outside or with the pass. If this is the case it could have more to do with defensive strategy than with anything else... Again, more of a perception deal...?

I'm wondering aloud here... not questioning anyone else's sanity.

We didn't run through Clemson's line as much, nor VT's, nor even Duke's (also struggled with GSU 2nd half and even Wofford 1st half) . So, it may not be just a physical or strategical transformation as much as people are making it out to be. Could have something to do with our effectiveness running the option with 3 fully effective threats (credit to OL, JT, AB's, WR's, & BB's) and ability to pass efficiently. Could just have to do with Shaq F'n Mason. Hard to tell, but again, this is not the first year we've had success on offense... maybe just of a little different kind.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Guys, could it be ...

1. We weren't that much more successful against these teams on offense than we've been in years past. We scored a lot of points on these teams regardless of what half it was when we played them before ... The biggest difference being our perception because we WON the game(s) (because of a field goal or interception, etc) or different perception because the games in question were all part of a very successful run in the last part of a very successful year?

2. That it seemed much more dramatic because we were blowing these teams up with runs through the line rather than on the outside or with the pass. If this is the case it could have more to do with defensive strategy than with anything else... Again, more of a perception deal...?

I'm wondering aloud here... not questioning anyone else's sanity.

We didn't run through Clemson's line as much, nor VT's, nor even Duke's (also struggled with GSU 2nd half and even Wofford 1st half) . So, it may not be just a physical or strategical transformation as much as people are making it out to be. Could have something to do with our effectiveness running the option with 3 fully effective threats (credit to OL, JT, AB's, WR's, & BB's) and ability to pass efficiently. Could just have to do with Shaq F'n Mason. Hard to tell, but again, this is not the first year we've had success on offense... maybe just of a little different kind.

This is the first year since 2008 for our yards/carry in the 2nd half/OT for the season was higher than the 1st half, fwiw.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I've seen trout fishing guides work a stream the way CPJ works a ball game. They start off by trying the basic flies and patterns. They catch a couple here and there, hit different types of water. Then they pull out some specific fly, pull a leg off it, tie on a piece of red thread, attach a nymph, and begin the slaughter. It's a mystery to me (a novice, infrequent trout fisher), but their lifetime of trout fishing leads them to the right lure.

For a few years in his tenure, CPJ didn't have enough flies in his tackle box and could not fish how he wanted. I think late last year, he had almost the full selection, and he caught some big ones.
I don't know when I've read a post that was crazier, nuttier, weirder or stranger than this one. Or that made more sense.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think everyone in this thread is making some great points.

Our first possession or two are typically pretty vanilla. CPJ is trying to figure out how they'll defend us. Then we make an adjustment or two (primarily through play-calling), and play the rest of the first half.

I believe that CPJ intentionally saves some of the more interesting adjustments (blocking and scheme) that he could make in the 2nd quarter for after halftime. This is why we typically play so strong in the 3rd quarter... He doesn't want to show his cards too soon.

If I were a DC playing Tech, I would go into the first half with one scheme (and adjustments), and come out int the second half with a completely different approach (and adjustments).

/
The guy on The Birddog also told the story of a Navy game in which the B back came to the sideline in the first half and told Johnson of some gap in the center of the defense that could be exploited. Maybe a LB, tackle, somebody, I don't recall -- but Johnson did not react. until the second half, when he needed a big gainer, and called the play the B back said would work. Got 12 or 13 yards and a big first down, I think.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Went to Clemson game - to watch our oline verses thier DL. What great talent they had on line and rest of defense. The pregame drill they did had me worried - used some quick scout team types to simulate cut blocking - the clemson defenders quickly neutralized them and then pursued. I was worried. During the game however I saw how much larger our OL is since I saw us play Airforce in Shrevport. Our guys really engaged the clemson line and we're not quickly discarded. Sure we did not run wild , but it set the bar very high as to our potential. I saw the ACC and Orange bowl and it was clear we were " Seasoned" by playing Clemson.
No, didn't run wild for sure, but against a defense that to that point had allowed an average of 96 yards rushing a game, got 250, and in the matter of adjustments, got all those in the last three quarters after being shut down and shut out for 15 minutes. You're right that we were seasoned by Clemson, I think, but the success against a really, really good defense had to do worlds for confidence, particularly for Thomas. (His game was good enough that Swinney sought him out after the game, a real class act for a guy who could have been running to the locker room.)

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
IMO the reason for the slow start the first of the season was that it took some time for JT to get a handle on this offense as remember; it was his FIRST year as the starting QB. By the second half of the season it was clear the lights came on faster and brighter than the Bat Signal in Gotham City.

The beef up front between GCG in the A and B Gaps is quite noticeable to go along with two hard running B-backs. But the straw that stirs the drink is a DEDICATED triple option QB who has the quicks of a hiccup; a commanding understanding of the reads at the LOS; and the HEART to run the play based on what the defense leaves open! Justin Thomas was made to be a triple option QB.

Both of our current QB's are tough as nails and that's a big reason why this offense works much better. While Tevin really understood the offensive inside and out, he just didn't have that 5th gear speed and acceleration of JT. Nesbitt was a STUD on those midline option plays following the B-Back but didn't have the quicks of JT.

I'm also excited to see what Marcus Allen and Patrick Skov can put togther at B-Back this season as far as yardage with JTmaking those mesh reads with a year of experience under his belt and lots of hosses up front.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Probably has a lot to do with why CPJ always defers to the second half KO. He doesn't want the opposing DC to have a halftime available to make adjustments.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I actually recall the third quarter very often being a fantastic offensive quarter for the jackets since Johnson arrived, as in overall, year in and out. Of course the one third quarter that sticks out the most . . . still . . . is 2008 in Athens. "Where is the sting of these Yellow Jackets" then boom! 22 points later.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I actually recall the third quarter very often being a fantastic offensive quarter for the jackets since Johnson arrived, as in overall, year in and out. Of course the one third quarter that sticks out the most . . . still . . . is 2008 in Athens. "Where is the sting of these Yellow Jackets" then boom! 22 points later.
Yes, that was one question with a very quick answer!:cool:

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's interesting how much I have always thought of him as the master of the halftime adjustment...and how much he downplays that aspect of coaching.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It's interesting how much I have always thought of him as the master of the halftime adjustment...and how much he downplays that aspect of coaching.
Well, maybe this is like what the guy said about people and money: if you have it you don't worry about it. Seems he has this particular "it". The fascinating thing to me, who doesn't get all that x and 0 stuff, is how all the adjustments involve blocking schemes and spacing. It seemed to me he used more unbalanced line in the second half against MSU, but I really have tried to make a count. I did see yesterday in watching the FSU game again that a missed block I had blamed on an A back in fact was Mason, pulling from the weak side, but slipping and falling on the turf when he cut up to meet the safety. Forget now the ball carrier who got blown up by the safety, but I suspect it gave FSU some false sense of accomplishment and one of those "We have figured this out" moments. Pretty sure Charles Kelly wasn't fooled, though.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, maybe this is like what the guy said about people and money: if you have it you don't worry about it. Seems he has this particular "it". The fascinating thing to me, who doesn't get all that x and 0 stuff, is how all the adjustments involve blocking schemes and spacing. It seemed to me he used more unbalanced line in the second half against MSU, but I really have tried to make a count. I did see yesterday in watching the FSU game again that a missed block I had blamed on an A back in fact was Mason, pulling from the weak side, but slipping and falling on the turf when he cut up to meet the safety. Forget now the ball carrier who got blown up by the safety, but I suspect it gave FSU some false sense of accomplishment and one of those "We have figured this out" moments. Pretty sure Charles Kelly wasn't fooled, though.
IMHO, him going to the unbalanced line with the play-side OG pulling (with the play) was the difference in the game. They never adjusted and it set up everything else we did in the game.