The second half

GTFLETCH

Banned
Guys, could it be ...

1. We weren't that much more successful against these teams on offense than we've been in years past. We scored a lot of points on these teams regardless of what half it was when we played them before ... The biggest difference being our perception because we WON the game(s) (because of a field goal or interception, etc) or different perception because the games in question were all part of a very successful run in the last part of a very successful year?

2. That it seemed much more dramatic because we were blowing these teams up with runs through the line rather than on the outside or with the pass. If this is the case it could have more to do with defensive strategy than with anything else... Again, more of a perception deal...?

I'm wondering aloud here... not questioning anyone else's sanity.

We didn't run through Clemson's line as much, nor VT's, nor even Duke's (also struggled with GSU 2nd half and even Wofford 1st half) . So, it may not be just a physical or strategical transformation as much as people are making it out to be. Could have something to do with our effectiveness running the option with 3 fully effective threats (credit to OL, JT, AB's, WR's, & BB's) and ability to pass efficiently. Could just have to do with Shaq F'n Mason. Hard to tell, but again, this is not the first year we've had success on offense... maybe just of a little different kind.

I will go with #1

However I will say that our OL has beefed up a bit and I think that helped last year.... I also think as a team we played our best ball later in the year meaning we kept getting better....Super excited to see both the OL and DL play this year

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The dc for Msu = first game, the dc for fsu = got first chance at dc here after Groh had 2 years experience , the dc at Uga = 1 year dc at Uga & 1 year as dc at fsu (2 years previous was reruiter at ala). Coach showed that The on the job training program is tough! From what I saw - these guys need to get some NFL ready tackles to not get fired. With good talent they had a very poor outcome.

With increased A back speed at tech - (house call speed) these dc could get the head coach " look" during the game.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The dc for Msu = first game, the dc for fsu = got first chance at dc here after Groh had 2 years experience , the dc at Uga = 1 year dc at Uga & 1 year as dc at fsu (2 years previous was reruiter at ala). Coach showed that The on the job training program is tough! From what I saw - these guys need to get some NFL ready tackles to not get fired. With good talent they had a very poor outcome.

With increased A back speed at tech - (house call speed) these dc could get the head coach " look" during the game.

Yeah, I'm not sure that I understand you entirely, but I think we saw a big difference between a DC like Charles Kelly at FSU and the 1st time play caller at MSU. FSU caught up to what we were doing by the end of the first half, and then again after one drive in the 3rd quarter. MissSt never adjusted to our Trap.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I'm not sure that I understand you entirely, but I think we saw a big difference between a DC like Charles Kelly at FSU and the 1st time play caller at MSU. FSU caught up to what we were doing by the end of the first half, and then again after one drive in the 3rd quarter. MissSt never adjusted to our Trap.
I think I heard the sideline reporter -- those people are never very good, in my opinion -- say that MSU had moved a LB coach to the sideline. I think that is what I heard. But the poor guy trying to match up really needed help and I was surprised by Mullen was not real forceful in imposing himself. Don't think it would have changed things very much but it will be a long time before that guy gets a DC look.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
but slipping and falling on the turf when he cut up to meet the safety.
I had forgotten how much Tech was slipping on the turf early in that game. It almost made me wonder at the time if we were going to be blaming the equipment manager later for picking out the wrong cleats. Still don't know why the turf was so slippery. Tech almost seemed to compensate as the game went on by not trying to cut as hard or by being a little more ginger in cutting.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I had forgotten how much Tech was slipping on the turf early in that game. It almost made me wonder at the time if we were going to be blaming the equipment manager later for picking out the wrong cleats. Still don't know why the turf was so slippery. Tech almost seemed to compensate as the game went on by not trying to cut as hard or by being a little more ginger in cutting.
You know now that I think about it the guys running the edge were taking really short and choppy strides. I thought it might be a balance issue but maybe it was the turf. On the other hand, given the result, get us more of that turf.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
The turf looked like a winter rye overseed and it is slippery.

LibertyTurns

Banned
The turf looked like a winter rye overseed and it is slippery.
One of the best technological institutes in the world cannot figure out what cleats our football players need to be wearing to optimize their performance? We can put a man on the moon, surely we can crack this nut.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
One of the best technological institutes in the world cannot figure out what cleats our football players need to be wearing to optimize their performance? We can put a man on the moon, surely we can crack this nut.
Once upon a time there were mud cleats and regular cleats, screwed into the base of the same pair of shoes. It was so much trouble exchanging them that it evolved to linemen using mud cleats all season and ends and backs using the shorter cleats. Much simpler that way, and no demonstrable difference. On the other hand, it seemed to me that the technical institute solved the problem in the most nontechnical of ways: proceeded to run carefully.

LibertyTurns

Banned
What I'm trying to say is we know where we're playing. We should know what type of grass we're playing on, kentucky blue, zoyosia, combo overseeded with wnter rye, etc. We should know the weather forecast so we know if the field is wet, dry, muddy, etc. We have warm ups on the field beforehand so we know if they cut the grass, didn't cut it, etc.

We either left our cleats at home, had difficulty determining what cleats to wear, or something else.

I just have a hard time understanding why GT does not have a significant advantage against nearly everyone else save MIT, Cal Tech, etc with respect to sports equipment technology, sports physiology, etc. We have the best Engineers when it comes to taking theory and applying it to real world situations, that's why we're the most highly sought at in the marketplace.

GT should have every technological advantage available & technology not readily available to the butt sniffers up the road, etc. GT should be on the cutting edge of technology & we're not. Why is it that Nike, Under Armor, etc don't have research labs in our back yard. Where else would you go if you wanted a talented Engineer and people that know how to take an idea and deliver it to market?

Clearly we're not supporting our sports teams properly because as an Institute we just don't believe it's important. I just think this is wrong. Besides the military and our insatiable apetite for technological advantages, sports is probably second in driving changes in the marketplace. GT should be head and shoulders above the competition & elite athletes should be flocking to our doorstep trying to get in on the latest thing. Sadly that's not the case.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What I'm trying to say is we know where we're playing. We should know what type of grass we're playing on, kentucky blue, zoyosia, combo overseeded with wnter rye, etc. We should know the weather forecast so we know if the field is wet, dry, muddy, etc. We have warm ups on the field beforehand so we know if they cut the grass, didn't cut it, etc.

We either left our cleats at home, had difficulty determining what cleats to wear, or something else.

I just have a hard time understanding why GT does not have a significant advantage against nearly everyone else save MIT, Cal Tech, etc with respect to sports equipment technology, sports physiology, etc. We have the best Engineers when it comes to taking theory and applying it to real world situations, that's why we're the most highly sought at in the marketplace.

GT should have every technological advantage available & technology not readily available to the butt sniffers up the road, etc. GT should be on the cutting edge of technology & we're not. Why is it that Nike, Under Armor, etc don't have research labs in our back yard. Where else would you go if you wanted a talented Engineer and people that know how to take an idea and deliver it to market?

Clearly we're not supporting our sports teams properly because as an Institute we just don't believe it's important. I just think this is wrong. Besides the military and our insatiable apetite for technological advantages, sports is probably second in driving changes in the marketplace. GT should be head and shoulders above the competition & elite athletes should be flocking to our doorstep trying to get in on the latest thing. Sadly that's not the case.
I can agree with the first part of this but just don't have the insight or knowledge of technology to judge the second part. But it seems to be true that the bowl venues, to look better on TV, are overseeding their fields with winter growing rye grass -- a couple of people in my neighborhood do it with their lawns and for the life of me I don't get it -- so if it is true that it can be slippery (because it grows vertically, thin blades?) teams should prepare for the effects. (Years ago in the Tangerine Bowl that became, I think, the Citrus Bowl, a lake no more than 125 yards long at one end of the small stadium had a small sailboat, tacking back and forth, back and forth, for three hours, all routinely seen on TV, to show viewers that Florida was great for winter visits. They had no clue how small that "lake" was.)