The Search

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Don't know who this person is.

upload_2016-3-30_7-19-52.png

Troutbum

Georgia Tech Fan
Any opinions out there on Mike Lonergan at GW?

San Diego State got a taste of flying cross-country last night and Lonergan's team pasted them. I am a little surprised he's not being mentioned more often.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Everyone has an opinion which is why I as a fan prefer Capel between the 2. I think the quickest way to the top is thru recruiting and Capel IMHO is a proven star at that. That being said, I'd be happy with Drew as well. Both I think are big upgrades over Gregory. I tend to agree that if we don't hear anything else today or tomorrow than it is most likely Drew.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I just want someone who can convince Wendell Carter and a top flight pg to come to the flats. Is instant gratification too much to ask for?

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think another point we are overlooking with Capel's W/L record at OU without Griffin is that he RECRUITED Griffin. At a school that has had only 4 draft picks since 2000 (and only 1 still in the NBA). He convinced 2 of the top prospects in the country to stay at home.

If he comes to GT, he will have a rich pool of players to convince to play at home. Think he deserves a bit more credit for that.

After blake griffin he was able to recruit two more McDonald All Americans to bring the team total to 3 (which is the most OU had on a team at the same time in school history) and then proceeded to post 2 straight losing seasons.

And while I do find it very impressive that he recruited Blake griffin and I would take that over what we've had the last decade, its often important to note that Blake Griffin was always probably going to be staying in state anyway. He and his older brother were inseparable and his brother was at OU already (before Capel got there). Again you still have to reel him and close the deal regardless of the built in advantage you already have, but just wanted to mention that.

If we get Capel I wouldn't complain. If he repeats like he did at OU 3 incredible seasons followed by 2 bad ones, that' still better than what we had here for the last 5 years, so upgrade. Plus I think he'll have an easier time recruiting in Atlanta than he did in friggin Norman and his extra time under coach K has probably taught him more than when he was at OU so less likely for a collapse

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Vandy or GT? The SEC or the ACC??? When do we get the hard questions?

Well, where would he be closer to winning the conference? Also, the K (allegedly) not letting his guys coach in the ACC thing. Not that easy if you ax me.

Ha not this guy.No Sir

But I may have been a Mooney guy.......

*gasp* I don't even know who you are anymore, man.

How do we know that?

We don't know that for certain but it's a fairly widely accepted supposition. None of his guys have coached in the ACC (Brey doesn't count, expansion got him in). That's not a coincidence.

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
How many ACC teams have tried to hire Duke assistants? Do many ACC teams hire assistants from any team? Seem like most ACC hires were head coaches somewhere before.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We know that Coach K doesn't want his guys coaching in the ACC. May not be that easy.

/

FM91, I'm a big fan of your post, so please don't think that this is directed at you, but I've seen it so many times now. The whole K doesn't want his guys to coach in the ACC is beginning to sound like a cliche. Relate it to any profession, I might not want to compete against my prodigy or someone that I mentored along the way, but I certainly would not want to hold that person back from a great move in his career simply because of it.

Perhaps it is just me, but I really do not believe that is even factoring into Capel's decision. If anything, I bet that Coach K would encourage him to pursue this job. Some of fans may not believe it and the luster has worn a bit, but he knows this a great program with lots of history and tradition.... a sleeping giant if you want to call it that.

I've wavered back and forth between Capel and Drew all week, and I think that I am back to Capel now...I'm really hoping that what P36 mentioned about the offer is correct and that we see breaking news that Jeff Capel has been named our new coach.

Hey Zach Klein..whats that old saying about a broke clock being right twice a day?? I'm pulling for you buddy!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hey Zach Klein..whats that old saying about a broke clock being right twice a day?? I'm pulling for you buddy!

You get a 'like' for this sentence. I got some special hate for that guy. He's in the Chuck Dowdell (sp?) Hall of Fame of dawg-fan media types who try to act impartial.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Interesting (frustrating?) thought: Maybe GT is being used by Capel's people to create a market as leverage for the Vandy job. Hey, I'd have conversations with the dealership down the road in order to get better pricing for the car I really want. Talking to GT (or Vandy if he's doing it TO us) is worth an extra $500K? Sure is. Nothing personal, just business.

Or maybe Capel is being used as leverage against Drew? Jay Larranaga? Hey, you can't seem desperate, right Pitt?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If Jeff Capel is hired, do I think it massively increases our chances with Wendell Carter? Yes.

Would I get my hopes up that we land him? Not really.

We're gonna have 4 spots in the 2017 class and we'll have an opportunity to land real difference makers. Somebody who up to now has shown no interest in GT hoops, but could quickly, regardless of the new coach, is MJ Walker. Just theoretical hearsay on my part.

Regardless, I think Capel is the better recruiter, but Bryce Drew is smart enough to realize he needs to get wired in to the local juice quickly. In either case, I expect our recruiting to improve greatly.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Any opinions out there on Mike Lonergan at GW?

San Diego State got a taste of flying cross-country last night and Lonergan's team pasted them. I am a little surprised he's not being mentioned more often.

I think he's a good coach and when we were talking low budget possibilities I threw his name out a couple times. Really enjoy watching his teams play the last couple years