The Search

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think that is much more an indictment of Radakovich than Hewitt if we are being honest with ourselves.

...and Braine's lifetime contract given to CPH. That contract has been a heavy weight on this program since the day it was signed. I don't blame Hewitt at all for that, anyone of us would have signed it. Guys like Braine are there to make smart decisions for our program...that was not a good decision for GT.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Partially wishful thinking/partially what I believe (i.e., not based on an inside scoop)...

GT is a more desirable landing spot for Capel than Vandy. If Capel is using GT as leverage, it is leverage to be named coach-in-waiting at Duke, or maybe it's just to see Duke is willing to name anyone coach-in-waiting before K retires. Using Syracuse as an example, many thought Mike Hopkins would be the eventual successor, but it wasn't until the school saw him interview at USCw, Charlotte, etc. that it was announced and eventually confirmed. I don't know that Hopkins got a material raise as he remained an assistant (he got something), but ultimately it was the guaranteed promotion that slowed down his path to go elsewhere.

Just something to keep in mind.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I'm not really concerned if Capel is the guy... comes in for 3 to 4 years then splits to take the Duke job. If there is money still on his contract then Duke pays it and we have more money to throw at another possibly better coach at that time.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Interesting to think through whether Capel (or anyone else) would consider GT or Vandy a "better" job. And one that you could look at either way quite honestly. GT is a more "spotlight" job for sure and is trying to crack the top half, top quarter of the ACC. No small feat. Vandy is looking to simply establish themselves as a legit second fiddle to KY in an otherwise so so BB conference. But a second fiddle that routinely makes the NCAA and on occasion beats KY. Both schools are known to be reasonably patient so I don't see a difference there. And both will likely pay him about the same. Don't see either blowing the bank on him. And both are pretty high end academic schools so the restrictions are probably reasonably similar.

So I guess it comes down to 1) Does K really have a prohibition against assistants coaching in the ACC 2) How does the Georgia/Atlanta recruiting local area stack up in his thought process and 3) what level of bright lights does he really want and 4) does he really feel that GT or Vandy fit better?

He has had opportunities to go to legit P5 programs so he knows this isn't his only opportunity. So like Drew he can be somewhat picky. Will be interesting to see how both of them look at this.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I feel confident in Capel or Drew. Would love to get Gregg Marshall though.

Someone posted an interview of Marshall last year. In it, he basically outlined a criteria for jobs that would make him leave Wichita State. Maybe a handful of jobs in college basketball fit it (think Kentucky, UNC, UCLA...basically, elite name jobs that can spend $$$). GT would not check all the boxes for him.

Marshall will continue to be college basketball's great white whale.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
I feel confident in Capel or Drew. Would love to get Gregg Marshall though.
I find it a little odd that we haven't heard Marshall's name leak out as having at least been contacted or said no or something. He is clearly a better candidate than any of the other names mentioned and if his buyout is only 500k and if what Big Daddy Buzz says is true that we are willing to go over $3 million then why not pursue him? Of course we could be pursuing him and no one knows about it or he could've already said no but just seems odd to me. Capel has a shady track record and is a Dukie. Drew has no connection to the southeast and is not nearly as proven as Marshall and as for Larrananga? Wtf?

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
The silence from the program/valid sources outside of the Capel/Larranaga leak a couple of nights ago is really interesting. When you look at the constant chatter around other vacancies (UNLV, St. Louis, Vandy, etc.), you would almost expect to see the same thing here. It wouldn't at all surprise me to see us go away from what's been heavily discussed here.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
I find it a little odd that we haven't heard Marshall's name leak out as having at least been contacted or said no or something. He is clearly a better candidate than any of the other names mentioned and if his buyout is only 500k and if what Big Daddy Buzz says is true that we are willing to go over $3 million then why not pursue him? Of course we could be pursuing him and no one knows about it or he could've already said no but just seems odd to me. Capel has a shady track record and is a Dukie. Drew has no connection to the southeast and is not nearly as proven as Marshall and as for Larrananga? Wtf?

Again, I'm not sure that Marshall is really a better candidate than the guys we are linked to. We can't discount the major adjustment he would have to make coaching in a big city and conference. Plus with the amount of money he'd make, he would need a very fast turnaround, one that may just as well happen faster with one of the guys we are linked to.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Someone posted an interview of Marshall last year. In it, he basically outlined a criteria for jobs that would make him leave Wichita State. Maybe a handful of jobs in college basketball fit it (think Kentucky, UNC, UCLA...basically, elite name jobs that can spend $$$). GT would not check all the boxes for him.

Marshall will continue to be college basketball's great white whale.
I get what you are saying about Marshall. And granted, I am biased here but... It seems to me that GT would be a huge and I mean HUGE draw for ANY coach in this country. The talent that comes out of this state each year along with the prestige of the ACC and the prestige that Cremins left behind... Its not UNC or Kentucky or UCLA, I get it. But its a very ELITE opportunity to coach basketball at GT imo. If you can coach and recruit then GT is a hot bed for success on an ELITE level.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The silence from the program/valid sources outside of the Capel/Larranaga leak a couple of nights ago is really interesting. When you look at the constant chatter around other vacancies (UNLV, St. Louis, Vandy, etc.), you would almost expect to see the same thing here. It wouldn't at all surprise me to see us go away from what's been heavily discussed here.

I find it refreshing that we're not hearing a lot of noise left/right. Perhaps it's timing. Most comparable vacancies have been filled so we don't have to play things fast n' loose the way those others schools did. Also wouldn't be surprised the guy ends up being someone we haven't discussed. I kinda welcome it.

Again, I'm not sure that Marshall is really a better candidate than the guys we are linked to. We can't discount the major adjustment he would have to make coaching in a big city and conference. Plus with the amount of money he'd make, he would need a very fast turnaround, one that may just as well happen faster with one of the guys we are linked to.

That's an interesting point. Marshall has been a really good coach for a while but he hasn't had to deal with not being the A1 coach on campus. He hasn't had to deal with a conference containing as many land mines as the ACC has. It's not off base to question how he'd handle the step up. Winning vs. big schools in a tournament scenario is different than having to navigate through a conference schedule of them in an effort to build a tournament-worthy resume.

I'd still take him, but it's a legit question to ask.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I doubt there was much mutual interest between GT and Marshall. He is known to be somewhat difficult to work with and I expect MBob really doesn't want to put up with him. On his side he likely doesn't want to have to deal with the academic limitations at Tech and going through what it will take to drive us to the top of the ACC. He likely sees some easier pathways if he is simply patient. Just MHO

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
I get what you are saying about Marshall. And granted, I am biased here but... It seems to me that GT would be a huge and I mean HUGE draw for ANY coach in this country. The talent that comes out of this state each year along with the prestige of the ACC and the prestige that Cremins left behind... Its not UNC or Kentucky or UCLA, I get it. But its a very ELITE opportunity to coach basketball at GT imo. If you can coach and recruit then GT is a hot bed for success on an ELITE level.

I definitely agree with you about the quality about the job. I guess my point [and those that were raised by @kg01 and @YlJacket] is this may be more about Bobinski not wanting him than him not wanting us.

I really do believe that Bobinski had 5-6 guys in mind, floated the idea out to their agents during the end of the year, and then set up interviews with the ones he wants. Do I know this for sure? No. But it's way too quiet for this to be a full-blown Step 1 coaching search.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Oh, don't get me wrong...I've been beating the "GT is a GREAT job" drum (in both our major revenue sports) since forever. GT probably has one of the most unique environments for a coach: You can sell academics, big city lifestyle without the big city prices...but also a 20 minute drive to the suburbs if city life isn't for you, great facilities, elite conference affilation, tradition, major recruiting hotbed. Pretty much every major positive a coach can ask for. At the end of the day though, GT just isn't a "blue blood" with deep pockets. Nothing wrong with it...that's just where we are.

My hope is that we find someone to turn us into one of those "blue blood" type programs. Everything is in place for GT to do so.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Marshall is not coming here. He's been my dream guy for a decade, we missed our chance years ago. I wanted to hire him when he was still at Winthrop. Heck he turned down AL $4MM yr offer last year. If he moves, he is going to wait for one of the blue bloods to open - that is how respected he is in the basketball community as a coach.

FWIW, I don't think GT is going to be willing to pay $2.5-3MM as BDB suggests - that would shock me, I doubt we go over $1.5MM.

Both Miller and Mack were quietly approached and politely declined (as expected).

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck

FWIW, I don't think GT is going to be willing to pay $2.5-3MM as BDB suggests - that would shock me, I doubt we go over $1.5MM.

Both Miller and Mack were quietly approached and politely declined (as expected).

I understand the financial limits we have, but what I don't get is why the coach's salary isn't viewed as more of an investment. How much did we lose in ticket/concession sales by making a budget hire? If we'd spent 2.5 million last time around (and gone into the red temporarily), and landed a winner, wouldn't the extra sales have made up the difference?

Now we're in much the same position.