The Search

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
And it's odd for people to act like Capel is like all the others when he had a decade worth of coaching experience, including 8 years as head coach, before ever coaching for Duke. He already built himself a pretty good reputation, especially as a recruiter, before going to Duke.

And on top of that, people put far too much emphasis on coaching trees. They don't mean much.

Yea and when he showed up in the big leagues he didn't accomplish much without BG. Heads to the NBA and 2 losing seasons in a row at a school that hasn't had one in 30 years? I mean, I won't deny that he will be an upgrade over Gregory but I dunno I also was just hoping for more. Probably I'm just being delusional though. I guess if I'm using his OU record of peak or valley with no inbetween it sounds like our 2014/2015 football seasons. It'll fit right in with the GT sports roller coaster.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I'm pretty sure duke recruits itself so thats not saying much. And i usually want nothing to do with duke, I even recently ordered a Grayson Allen sucks T-shirt. but if chapel can bring in talent and have an offense that doesn't hold it for 29 seconds its fine by me.

I would think that when one is recruiting at the level puke is, nothing "recruits itself". I would think it is much harder gritting a commit from a kid considering you, unc, Kansas, and uk.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Yea and when he showed up in the big leagues he didn't accomplish much without BG. Heads to the NBA and 2 losing seasons in a row at a school that hasn't had one in 30 years? I mean, I won't deny that he will be an upgrade over Gregory but I dunno I also was just hoping for more. Probably I'm just being delusional though. I guess if I'm using his OU record of peak or valley with no inbetween it sounds like our 2014/2015 football seasons. It'll fit right in with the GT sports roller coaster.

Capel is almost assuredly the best upgrade in terms of recruiting that we could reasonably hope to get. It wasn't just Griffen he got to OU but several other top talents as well.

As far as his problems at OU, both the major ones I don't think you can really project to follow him. The assistant thing I doubt will as his time at Duke almost certainly has him in a better situation in terms of coaching connections to make the right choices, and I'm sure he'll be overly cautious when putting together a staff because of what happened at OU. And his last year he had to deal with a mass exodus of underclassmen. By all reports he is extremely loved at Duke by the players so I doubt he'll have that issue where he lands. And people seem to forget that he was extremely young when he was coaching at VCU and OU, and that his prior HC experience means he likely had a different perspective while coaching under K than the guys who stated their coaching career under him.

Is he the perfect candidate without any questions? Of course not. We aren't likely to land someone like that. I'd much prefer him to Drew or even Miller from Dayton, and I think both would be a good hire.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Got to trust MBob on this one...he has a good track record with his basketball hires. He has been working on this behind the scenes for a while. I am just ready to see a good basketball program again which is going to have to start with some strong recruiting. Sounds like Capel is capable of getting the job done.

Chan15A

Georgia Tech Fan
I really cannot seem to get my head around the idea of Jeff Capel becoming the next HC. I think that he is a brilliant candidate for the job and could be successful. However, to me, he seems perfectly content on taking things slow and waiting his time out at Duke. In addition to this, by the time he got GT to where he would want it, Coach K may be on his way out, and Capel would have the chance to get the real job he wants

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I really cannot seem to get my head around the idea of Jeff Capel becoming the next HC. I think that he is a brilliant candidate for the job and could be successful. However, to me, he seems perfectly content on taking things slow and waiting his time out at Duke. In addition to this, by the time he got GT to where he would want it, Coach K may be on his way out, and Capel would have the chance to get the real job he wants

Do not know if Capel is the guy or not, but I do know I would have rather had 7 years of Spurrier (knowing we would lose him to UF) than 7 years of curry.

If we had a guy that was so successful that he would be considered to replace K, then we would at hat point be in great shape to hire another very good coach.

A fear of losing someone is no reason not to go after them now.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Do not know if Capel is the guy or not, but I do know I would have rather had 7 years of Spurrier (knowing we would lose him to UF) than 7 years of curry.

If we had a guy that was so successful that he would be considered to replace K, then we would at hat point be in great shape to hire another very good coach.

A fear of losing someone is no reason not to go after them now.

Interesting analogy given Curry was hired to replace the guy that replaced the Bear.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Don't get why we would be talking to Jay Larranaga? Does anyone have more insight than me on this. Hopefully it is just a rumor.