The Search

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Don't get why we would be talking to Jay Larranaga? Does anyone have more insight than me on this. Hopefully it is just a rumor.

I got no insight. However, I will say that this Jay guy has a good rep and is supposedly an up-and-comer. That said, he's not a guy we should be considering unless MBob is looking for key assistants to entice our real target ... I hope?

Anyways, these names let me know his #1 target must've pulled out or said 'no'.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I got no insight. However, I will say that this Jay guy has a good rep and is supposedly an up-and-comer. That said, he's not a guy we should be considering unless MBob is looking for key assistants to entice our real target ... I hope?

Anyways, these names let me know his #1 target must've pulled out or said 'no'.
This is all noise. Don't read too much into it.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Brad Stevens, a top 5 coach in the NBA, thinks Larranaga can coach, so I really don't have much reason to doubt his ability in that aspect. Recruiting is another story though. I don't guess anyone really knows if he can or can't since he's never done it before.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Jay Larranaga was considered for the Celtics HC position before it was given to Stevens, for whatever that is worth.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Jay Larranaga was considered for the Celtics HC position before it was given to Stevens, for whatever that is worth.

You sure about that? The only thing I could find was him declining to interview with George Mason last year. I don't think he was ever up for the Celtics job. He did fill in for Stevens this year IIRC but just interim.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for sharing that. Would've been a really weird hiring for that franchise. Him as top assistant made more sense. It would also have made more sense for him to land as head coach at a place like George Mason rather than GT. That said, he has a good rep I guess.

Sigh, I'm still rooting for this all being a smokescreen.

Yeah I was just trying to look for a positive in that hire. I don't see it..

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
My thought as well...Without a doubt, he is one of the top targets and he should be.

While I won't totally agree, I have looked back at his pre-OK record and I admit he's not the total failure I imagine him to be. We could do worse than Capel, so I guess I'll have to pick a new 'better not be him' guy.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Despite what others are saying (and guys I respect like daBiz and KQ), there is definitely some smoke behind the Capel rumors.
200.gif