The Search

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure that Larranaga is any different than Kelsey. The NBA glitter looks good but Kelsey has been in the fire for 4 years and understands the college game more than Larranaga does.

Not saying Kelsey should be our top option, I'm just not sure why people would be so opposed to him but okay with Larranaga. (And also McCall for that same reason).

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for level-setting dtm.. Time to start looking at the other names.

I'd like for us to see one of Keatts, Holtman (my preference of who is left), and I could get on board with Mike Longeran of GW as well.

However, I think that it is more likely that it come from the up and comer list. In which case, I would focus on McCall or Kelsey.

You beat me to it.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Let's hire another coach with no Power 5 coaching experience. That has worked really well in football. Gailey had no FBS experience, but he was an NFL guy. Worked really well, didn't it?
Then we hired Johnson, who had no Power 5 experience and no experience at any FBS conference school. His FBS win % at GT is even lower than Gailey's.

So, I'm guessing this administration will hire Larranaga. They like to make the same mistakes over and over.

I'd sure like to finish in the top 10 and win the conference championship in basketball like Johnson did. I'm pretty sure most of our fans would be ecstatic.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I could get on board with a guy like McCall or Dooley I think.

Holtmann would be the first call, Keatts the second.

Holtmann being the only one of the four that got me excited.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not sure that Larranaga is any different than Kelsey. The NBA glitter looks good but Kelsey has been in the fire for 4 years and understands the college game more than Larranaga does.

Not saying Kelsey should be our top option, I'm just not sure why people would be so opposed to him but okay with Larranaga. (And also McCall for that same reason).

The pro connection matters more so in bball than in fball. It matters in recruiting and on the court. Larranaga has a great rep as an X's and O's coach on that level which should translate quite well at the NCAA level. A guy like Kelsey being 'in the fire' is great but an NBA-level coach should dwarf him in a head-to-head matchup with equal talent. I think it matters that much. Like chess vs. checkers. Now, that's a ridiculous statement in fball since there's not necessarily much difference in terms of strategy. Basketball on the two levels is much different strategically IIUC. I'd be curious to hear others' thoughts on that.

Recruiting-wise, it's much easier to get an audience as an "NBA guy" than it is as an up-and-comer, no-name guy regardless of the fact that a strong argument can be made that Kelsey is actually an accomplished coach.

That's just my $0.03.

On a different note, why's everyone thinking Holtmann is potentially available? It'd be a hard sell to pull him from there, especially after them having a (former?) player die recently.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
I could get on board with a guy like McCall or Dooley I think.

Holtmann would be the first call, Keatts the second.

Holtmann being the only one of the four that got me excited.
No one named Dooley should ever coach at Tech in any capacity. If we are going to start scraping the bottom of the barrel then Keatts and Holtmann I agree with you on.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Edit: kg.. This response was meant for you.

My best friends call me CASH. I have no idea how much he makes now, but if we were going to pay BD in excess of $2MM, while not the same here.

This is just me talking, but I was as high on Holtman and Longeran as I was BD.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The pro connection matters more so in bball than in fball. It matters in recruiting and on the court. Larranaga has a great rep as an X's and O's coach on that level which should translate quite well at the NCAA level. A guy like Kelsey being 'in the fire' is great but an NBA-level coach should dwarf him in a head-to-head matchup with equal talent. I think it matters that much. Like chess vs. checkers. Now, that's a ridiculous statement in fball since there's not necessarily much difference in terms of strategy. Basketball on the two levels is much different strategically IIUC. I'd be curious to hear others' thoughts on that.

Recruiting-wise, it's much easier to get an audience as an "NBA guy" than it is as an up-and-comer, no-name guy regardless of the fact that a strong argument can be made that Kelsey is actually an accomplished coach.

That's just my $0.03.

On a different note, why's everyone thinking Holtmann is potentially available? It'd be a hard sell to pull him from there, especially after them having a (former?) player die recently.
I was really just going back to my original list. He may very well not be available, but he'd be one of the 4-5 guys I'd gauge interest from.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow

That's just my $0.03.

If that's all true how come more college coaches aren't from the NBA?

There are tons of College Coach to NBA coach stories but extremely small numbers that go from NBA to College AND are successful...

pmixmaster

Georgia Tech Fan
Hello GT fans I am a NM lobo fan here and i wanted to ask as to why there is no real intrest in Craig Neal our lobo head man? i heard early in the search he was a legit candidate and as an outsider after the way bobiskni botched this search and given the names left why isnt he being mentioned more? of the other canidates left Neal has a bigger name better resume and has ties to the school . Please provide any input as i am curious

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
pmix..welcome to the board. Just my personal opinion, I think that many fans here overlook the Mountain West from a basketball perspective.

As such, Neal's resume gets overshadowed a bit when in reality, he may be a great candidate for us. Just my two cents, take it for it is worth.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hello GT fans I am a NM lobo fan here and i wanted to ask as to why there is no real intrest in Craig Neal our lobo head man? i heard early in the search he was a legit candidate and as an outsider after the way bobiskni botched this search and given the names left why isnt he being mentioned more? of the other canidates left Neal has a bigger name better resume and has ties to the school . Please provide any input as i am curious
@pmixmaster - How badly do you want us to take him off your hands?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
He is 32-31 the last two seasons missing postseason play in both. He may still be a good candidate but his recent record doesn't really generate much excitement.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Welcome pmix - I for one am concerned about his lack of success after losing Alford's players. Yes, he had a great year his first year, but he inherited 4 starters from an Alford tournament team. The last two years have been mediocre, and I have concerns about his ability to bring in top talent.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
He just hasn't done well the last few years

pmixmaster

Georgia Tech Fan
pmix..welcome to the board. Just my personal opinion, I think that many fans here overlook the Mountain West from a basketball perspective.

As such, Neal's resume gets overshadowed a bit when in reality, he may be a great candidate for us. Just my two cents, take it for it is worth.

Thanks for the replies i was just curious as why he emerged then feel off completely . I agree the MTN west was a great conference up until 3 years ago and we have fallen flat as of late . I think alot of his struggles here the last two season were in part due to his son and craig trying to make cullen something he is not . and injuries no excuses but i was just curious to would fan base be happy with him at this point in the search . I would have to believe that he has been contacted by now. if you have questions for me in regards to craig ill happily answer or the situation with cullen . the media and craig blew that up and it was not what it seemed

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If that's all true how come more college coaches aren't from the NBA?

There are tons of College Coach to NBA coach stories but extremely small numbers that go from NBA to College AND are successful...

NBA $$/stability/profile >>> NCAA $$/stability/profile. And, no, there aren't a ton of (recent) college-to-nba coach stories and the ones that are out there are widely seen as failures/cautionary tales with few exceptions.

pmixmaster

Georgia Tech Fan
Welcome pmix - I for one am concerned about his lack of success after losing Alford's players. Yes, he had a great year his first year, but he inherited 4 starters from an Alford tournament team. The last two years have been mediocre, and I have concerns about his ability to bring in top talent.
i do want to respond to this as he did bring two great transfers that dominated this year which made first team all confrence both of them in elijah brown and tim williams two first teamers