The Search

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Point is, somebody would have been screaming "Appalachian State !!!!!!!!!!":( :( :(

GT was 1-27 in the ACC when Cremins was hired. I don't think anyone cared about that at that time. It is more accurate to say that Cremins was hired and no one noticed.

Anyone who was there feel free to correct me. Because of Cremins the expectations are different now.

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow
GT was 1-27 in the ACC when Cremins was hired. I don't think anyone cared about that at that time. It is more accurate to say that Cremins was hired and no one noticed.

Anyone who was there feel free to correct me. Because of Cremins the expectations are different now.
So true. When he was hired, our Club had him over to speak to us. When I entered the room he was standing by himself against the wall. No one knew who the hell he was. I went over, introduced myself, and found out he was our new basketball coach. Fell in love with Bobby Cremins that night....still am. He made our basketball program.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Did it just come out of nowhere? Name out of a hat? Like someone said. The fact that his name is associated with this job is ridiculous.
I agree that it is ridiculous that his name is associated but by whom was it associated with the search is half of my point in thinking that reaction you were commenting on by Sebastian was an overreaction. I was probably being too oblique attaching my comment to your post.

There was discussion that even some of the more reasonable names are being connected to the search by their agents. There really has not been much solid intel so far which can be either impressive or scary depending on ones personality. Catching up reading through this thread as I did the last few days, I have found really amusing the amount of posts that either launch off into Hewitt angst or MBob angst, kind of at the drop of a hat, or a whiff and suspicion. So that was the second half of my point piggybacking on your comment.

Iow, I totally agree with your assessment that such would be a typical reaction to actually hiring Kelsey. :)

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
So true. When he was hired, our Club had him over to speak to us. When I entered the room he was standing by himself against the wall. No one knew who the hell he was. I went over, introduced myself, and found out he was our new basketball coach. Fell in love with Bobby Cremins that night....still am. He made our basketball program.
love this kind of stuff. Sports fan for life!

gtpi

Helluva Engineer

i was there. i chatted with bobby in front of the library for about 10 minutes. loved the guy back than and that has not changed.

the golf coach was also the basketball coach which should tell you something.

that i remember they did care. a lot. the hiring of bobby cremins saved the sports programs.
that i remember they were talking about going down a division.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Maybe because my wife is an App State grad, but we knew who the hell he was. He had been All-ACC at USCe and had built the program in Boone up from nothing. We bought season tickets for his first season at Tech.

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow
So this is interesting from 6 days ago...

Before Winthrop, he was Associate HC for Xavier. Won the Big South this year. Was a candidate for the JMU job. GT is a LARGE jump up in class. MBob would be sticking his neck out if he's indeed a serious candidate. Either to get crowned emperor AD or get his head whacked by the executioner. Very slim margin on this one.

Interesting tidbit: Greg Marshall came from Winthrop. Went to the NCAAs 7 of 9 years (including his first 4 years). Kelsey has 0 NCAA appearances in his first 4 years as Peac mentioned.

Winthrop played in the Big South championship game, but they lost decisively to Ashville. Winthrop was not the number 1 seed either.

I like Kelsey. I hope he comes to Tech, but not as head coach.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Absolutely. Cremins is the"god father" of GT basketball. Like Heisman was for football. And Luck was for baseball. https://gtswarm.com/threads/book-report-on-tech’s-luck-the-story-of-jim-luck-by-murray-silver-1989.9202/

This will all work out or Bobinski will be gone. Bobinski has demonstrated his incompetence to me by including additional guarantee money for the CBG extension. Maybe that was the exception, maybe not. I'm fine with waiting for the verdict with this hire.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck

There was more excitement at App. State! Cremins was making a terrible mistake!!! We found a guy who wanted so badly to be in the ACC and make up for losing the ACC championship as a player while at SC, that he was willing to come to the ATL with half of the crowd wearing bags on our heads. It took two seconds with this guy to understand he was special. What a great hire.